Advertisements
09 PT Cruiser Only Starts if Camshaft is unplugged

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2015, 09:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 09 PT Cruiser Only Starts if Camshaft is unplugged

2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser (non-turbo)

The head gasket blew on this vehicle so I replaced the head gasket, the cylinder head (just to be safe), timing belt, and water pump.

I put everything back together and the car was getting no spark. After some research I realized the camshaft position sensor and the ignition coil plugs were swapped. It seems like that happens to people a lot.

The car then would still not start. It was cranking and kind of trying but couldn't actually run. I replaced the camshaft sensor (twice with a mopar part the second time), and the magnet but still nothing. I rechecked the timing but it was fine (aftermarket belt).

The crazy thing is this: I can unplug the sensor and start it while pressing the accelerator a few times and it'll start a little rough. Then it will run smooth as butter. I can even plug the sensor back in and it's still good. I'll turn it off and try again (cam sensor plugged) and back to square one. I can (with cam sensor plugged in) start it very rough while pressing the accelerator but to keep it running, I have to keep pressing the accelerator.

Any one have any ideas?
Old 02 May 2015, 07:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 09 PT Cruiser Only Starts if Camshaft is unplugged

I would suggest checking to see if one of your camshafts has been installed out of phase. Some have found camshafts off from each other after replacing the timing chain.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 02 May 2015 at 07:42 pm. Reason: More details
Old 02 May 2015, 07:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In a search, I only found one other PT Cruiser that wouldn't run with the sensor plugged in. This was the final answer that got the car running again.....

I found out what the problem was, the timing was off 1 tooth. also the pin on the front cam had been sheered. after i set it back i tooth it started up. thanks for all your help

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 May 2015, 07:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
In a search, I only found one other PT Cruiser that wouldn't run with the sensor plugged in. This was the final answer that got the car running again.....

I found out what the problem was, the timing was off 1 tooth. also the pin on the front cam had been sheered. after i set it back i tooth it started up. thanks for all your help
Seems the front cam might have been off.
Old 02 May 2015, 08:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Seems the front cam might have been off.
Easy to make this misstake when installing the timing belt because the front cam tends to want to roll counter clockwise due to valve spring pressure on the lobes
buddyiramae likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 04 May 2015, 11:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

So I rechecked the timing and it was fine. I, with a scan tool, check the CAM CRANK Difference and it said -175 Degrees while it was plugged in but not started. I'm trying to do a relearn on it but I can't because it requires that I start the car. I've tried to unplug it, start it, then plug it back in quickly but I don't think that's the right way.

I'm about to put the old camshafts in and hopefully that's the problem.
Old 28 Nov 2015, 09:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello
I am a very experienced mechanic and machinist with many years experience that has never let anything beat me, meaning I always figure it out and fix it. Im new here but so glad there are willing and knowledgeable people here willing to help me. Thank you up front.

Mine a "2007 PT nonTurbo 2.4l auto" does the same thing.

I rebuilt the cylinder head, replaced the camshafts with used oem units, and reinstalled all of it with all new parts, gaskets ect. only to find it having the same symptoms as described here. Will run with cam sensor unplugged but I still get the P0300 random misfired code. I have replaced Coil, crank sensor, cam sensor, cam sensor magnet, plugs w/ oem, plug wires, cleaned and tested injectors, took fuel sample and passed, has fuel pressure not tested yet for psi, checked for vacuum leaks and passed, cranking compression test passed, and timing is in time perfect.

I did a visual inspection of the wiring to and from the sensors and pcm, all looks ok. Please inform me what to check next or with info I mite have left out? Sorry not the best at spelling or getting all my thoughts it text.

dave
Old 28 Nov 2015, 09:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Are cam pullies on the right way
2.0 uses same pullies but turned around
Marked on the pullies as to witch way they get installed
f22parts likes this.
Old 28 Nov 2015, 11:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes mine on this 2.4l are on correct, and will only go on one way.

Last edited by f22parts; 28 Nov 2015 at 11:19 pm.
Old 28 Nov 2015, 11:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I bet your camshaft timing is off. Pull the top cover and check the sprockets at top dead center. Assure both sprockets have the arrows pointed up as shown below. And use a straight edge to go across both the inner timing marks and the ones on the outer side of each sprocket. They should all align.

If no joy, pull the valve cover that see if the timing dowel holes are both pointed straight up. If not, but the sprockets are aligned, you may have sheared a camshaft pin.

While there are no sprockets on the cams in this photo, this is what it may look like if you are one tooth off. The intake cam may be slightly off.
BTarb24 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Nov 2015 at 12:04 am.