PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Which transmission is the best to use in my Series 2 Dream?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2015, 09:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Which transmission is the best to use in my Series 2 Dream?

My Series 1 Dream probably has a bad transmission and I need to know:

1. Do all transmissions interchange from all cars to all other cars?
2. Are the earlier transmissions, 01-02, better or not as good as the later 03-10 ones?
3. Can you install Auto-stick on any transmission in any car, or is a computer change necessary?
4. For replacement purposes would a transmission from the Dodge Neon would be maybe better or no difference?
Old 04 May 2015, 08:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Which transmission is the best to use in my Series 2 Dream?

The 2001 and 2002 PT autos all use a 41TE transmission. In 2003, Chrysler started putting the 40TE in the NA PT but the GT kept getting the 41TE. The turbo lites may have the 41TE too, but I'm not sure. Your GT tranny should be a 41TE. There's no real difference between these two transmission except the 41TE has heavier clutch packs.

The Autostick is all in the PCM. So if your PT has Autostick, it should still function no matter where your 41TE came from. As a rule, the newer the 41TE, the better. Chrysler has been improving this tranny since they first came out. So the newer it is, the better it likely is. I would never use a 41TE or any A604 Chrysler transmission made in the 1990's. The original clutch material is not very good in some of them.

On this one, salvage is likely the way to go. The later 41TE used in the PT seems to be pretty solid. And all the 2001/2002 auto PT's have them. And in salvage yards, it appears that most of those cars died of either broken timing belts or blown head gaskets. So there should be lots of good 41TE transmissions to be had for under $300. Be sure to drop the pan and check for shavings and burnt fluid residue before you buy it.
Probedude likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 May 2015 at 11:07 am.
Old 04 May 2015, 11:22 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Thank you very much. One thing to clarify though. Is only the GT cars that have the 41TE transmission after 2003?
Our local pick apart lots are starting to fill up with 2001-02 Cruisers now. Some very nice cars have been junked because of engine problems like timing belts and rather than offering car for sale the owners scrap the. A shame because some are very fine undamaged vehicles that now are lost except for about two weeks to part out then the crusher. What a waste.
Again, thanks for concise informative advice.
Old 04 May 2015, 11:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
Thank you very much. One thing to clarify though. Is only the GT cars that have the 41TE transmission after 2003?
Starting in 2003, only the GT and possibly the Turbo Lites (first made in 2004) got the 41TE. I believe all the naturally aspirated PT's from 2003 thru 2010 got the 40TE. But the 41TE was also used in Sebrings and other mid-size Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth sedans during the same period. You will have to check the tags on the tranny to be sure on these other types of cars. Also, the bell housings are shaped differently for different engines. So make sure the tranny original came from a 2.4L car.

This is a list of cars that MAY have a 41TE transmission:

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 May 2015 at 11:45 am.
Old 04 May 2015, 11:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Starting in 2003, only the GT and possibly the Turbo Lites (first made in 2004) got the 41TE. I believe all the naturally aspirated PT's from 2003 thru 2010 got the 40TE. But the 41TE was also used in Sebrings and other mid-size Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth sedans during the same period. You will have to check the tags on the tranny to be sure on these other types of cars. Also, the bell housings are shaped differently for different engines. So make sure the tranny original came from a 2.4L car.
I have a Sebring tranny in my 06 na
Old 04 May 2015, 11:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
I have a Sebring tranny in my 06 na
Yep.

See my revised list above. Plus, the 41TE will bolt up right in place of a 40TE.
Probedude likes this.