PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How do I reset the computer?

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 May 2015, 08:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How do I reset the computer?

I've been told I can reset the computer on a 2001 pt cruiser by either turning the ignition on and off so many times or by driving so many miles. My question is how many times do I turn it on and off or how many miles do I drive it. If this information is wrong how can I reset the computer without going to a shop?
Old 04 May 2015, 08:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How do I reset the computer?

Neither of the two things you mentioned will work. A proper reset would need a scanner. If you plan on working on your car a few times, you can pick up a scanner for a small amount. A temporary thing you can do is take the negative battery cable off for about 5 minutes. Step on the brake pedal while the cable is off, then attach the cable back up.
buddyiramae likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 04 May 2015, 10:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Once you start the engine any changes are in RAM and can only be changed be the next drive cycle or cycles.
Disconnecting the battery will do absolutely nothing except eliminate the engine check light from viewing. And this is only temporary because you CAN NOT re-set the readiness files what so ever except by manually accessing the PCM via the diagnostic connector.

This long time forum MYTH about the battery disconnect PCM re-set and PT Cruisers.

I would not recommend the turning on and off the ignition key as you described.

The drive cycle is usually after you use a scanning tool and properly clear the DTC(s). Then if there are no unresolved issues that caused the DTC(S) the readiness must reset itself through several engine cycles or about 30-50 miles of driving.
If you clear the DTC(S) and also manually with a diagnostic scanning tool with capable readiness access reset the readiness then you "must" do at least 2-3 complete engine cycles with no issues to ensure you will not activate any DTC(S).

BTW other then myself on a couple different year PT Cruiser has anyone actually measured the voltage and ohms before a battery disconnect and after and then apply the brake after the battery disconnect. LOL

My digital volt ohm show "0" in both cases after the battery is disconnected. That would mean that there would be no voltage remaining on a PT Cruiser that pushing the brake light pedal could influence the depletion of any voltage after a battery is disconnected.

How do all these forum myths get started anyway??

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 04 May 2015 at 11:02 pm.
Old 04 May 2015, 11:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Once you start the engine any changes are in RAM and can only be changed be the next drive cycle or cycles.
Disconnecting the battery will do absolutely nothing except eliminate the engine check light from viewing. And this is only temporary because you CAN NOT re-set the readiness files what so ever except by manually accessing the PCM via the diagnostic connector.

This long time forum MYTH about the battery disconnect PCM re-set and PT Cruisers.

I would not recommend the turning on and off the ignition key as you described.

The drive cycle is usually after you use a scanning tool and properly clear the DTC(s). Then if there are no unresolved issues that caused the DTC(S) the readiness must reset itself through several engine cycles or about 30-50 miles of driving.
If you clear the DTC(S) and also manually with a diagnostic scanning tool with capable readiness access reset the readiness then you "must" do at least 2-3 complete engine cycles with no issues to ensure you will not activate any DTC(S).

BTW other then myself on a couple different year PT Cruiser has anyone actually measured the voltage and ohms before a battery disconnect and after and then apply the brake after the battery disconnect. LOL

My digital volt ohm show "0" in both cases after the battery is disconnected. That would mean that there would be no voltage remaining on a PT Cruiser that pushing the brake light pedal could influence the depletion of any voltage after a battery is disconnected.

How do all these forum myths get started anyway??
NitroPT,
After the Chrysler Dealer use a scanning tool and properly clear the DTC's is there a way to speed up the complete engine cycles if someone wants to find out ASAP if the dealer fixed the problem or not?
Old 05 May 2015, 07:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh well, I guess those darn rumors just won't go away, especially if you try a search....

YAHOO Answers, Cars and Transportation

I want to reset my cars on board computer, was told to disconnect BOTH battery terminals.

To reset any information stored in the On-board Diagnostic Computer you must disconnect the Negative terminal. Reason being that everything connects eventually to Ground. At least this is the theory that was taught to me in Technical School.

Usually the recommended time is 10 minutes and all codes will be cleared. But, here's how the PCM (Power Control Module) works. Depending on what system has a problem, it will go into a learning cycle. Most vehicles will learn driving habits and store them for future reference. Sometimes when another person drives the car the driving pattern is different and the check engine light will come on. The pattern was interrupted and the computer has to relearn a new pattern.

If the check engine light comes on immediately you have a problem in your Closed Loop input circuits. This circuit will only receive inputs from a couple of sensors mainly temp sensors, if the car is cold. If the car is at operating temperature (Open Loop) there are a lot more sensors involved and proper diagnosis with a Scan Tool should be performed.

If your check engine light flashes, this signifies that the PCM is in Limp Home Mode and the car should be taken to a repair facility immediately.

Note: For better performance when resetting a car's computer. Leave the negative terminal disconnected for 10 minutes (make sure your car stereo doesn't have a code and if it does that you have the code). After reinstalling the battery terminal, drive it for about 5 to 10 miles like you stole it. This will set internal parameters in the PCM for better acceleration and faster response.

For other information about vehicle systems you can visit Calderon Automotive Repair - expert auto repair - Orlando, FL 32807 on the left column you can click on the blogs for free videos of the different systems in your car. Knowledge is power.
Source(s): ASE Certified Tech

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 May 2015 at 07:05 am.
Old 05 May 2015, 08:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

well Carey if you were here I could show you in person.
Also even though I am not recognized as an experience ECU collaborator on this forum another Keven aka Syked also posted this same information. We read PCM information so you can go on with your internet found source and continue to pass inaccurate information if you choose. It is after all a free forum. LOL

BTW did you notice that nothing is mention on the readiness area of the PCM and really what you posted supports most of what I posted. LOL

GO re-read your own posted information.

Funny how they call it "theory" in the school that tech went to. Must have been BMW? seriously that's what the systems are called for BMW. Otherwise no.
There is also valuable information that they left out as well about canceling the engine light in their prescribed fashion.

bla bla bla most of you all are experience mechanic's anyway and you all know more than me....ROLMAO!!!!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 05 May 2015 at 08:23 am.
Old 05 May 2015, 08:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Oh well, I guess those darn rumors just won't go away, especially if you try a search....

Source(s): ASE Certified Tech[/I]
First of all these answers and info online sites. Do not require you to have correct knowledge to put up an answer. You need only to subscribe like joining this forum. You then can post up an answer, bumping the last persons answer. Right or wrong. As for this particular shop. ASE certified and ASE Master certified is two different animals. I'm in fact ASE certified. In t top water leaks. No real cure was actually tought. But I recived a ASE certification all the same. That said, I have schooling in electronics as well. Waiting ten minutes or stepping on the brakes dose nothing. Most people wont know this but I expect a shop boasting in their electrical knowledge to know better. But he did leave out what the certification was for. Maybe he went to a water leak school like me or a brake class. Who knows. But I can tell you our PCM has very little capacity to learn anything. They can only make very small adjustments based on inputs from the various sensors based on pre programming flashed into the pcm. The DTCs are stored in the readiness file. You can clear the dash light by disconnecting battery and reconnecting. But you still have the code. If you have a ongoing problem. It will soon or immediately come back on, depending on how it works in the system. If it's a momentary glitch code. It will clear itself over the allotted drive cycle time. Without you knowing it because you already put the dash light out. This is a classic example of this is, what I have been told passed down form so and so. We all have a lot of those in our tool boxes me included. But sometimes these are flowed. I have had to let go of a few of those sense I have been on this forum. Some have yet to be proved wrong. This guys shop might be decent. But he is way short of an expert on PCMs and how they work. This could on occasion victimize a customer. So I dont put a ton of faith in someones ability just because of a ASE certification. ASE master certification Is a mush more involved acquisition. Safer bet that person knows a great deal more base on the process you must pass to get one.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 May 2015, 09:23 am
Banned

What is the "quick learn" procedure done by the dealership after resetting the PCM? I've had the PCM reset by the dealership several times, after they did maintenance, and I have seen on their invoices this "quick learn" procedure, but don't really know what it means, or does, or did to my PT.
Old 05 May 2015, 10:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
NitroPT,
After the Chrysler Dealer use a scanning tool and properly clear the DTC's is there a way to speed up the complete engine cycles if someone wants to find out ASAP if the dealer fixed the problem or not?
Not really? If the engine is cool you can drive for about 1/2 hour at 45+mph which in most cases will do it? But it varies? When I was doing emission testing I have had customers need to go drive steady for for about 55 on the highway and then I would re-test while the engine was hot and the radiator fan running. I knew that the ECU was cycled completely at least once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
What is the "quick learn" procedure done by the dealership after resetting the PCM? I've had the PCM reset by the dealership several times, after they did maintenance, and I have seen on their invoices this "quick learn" procedure, but don't really know what it means, or does, or did to my PT.
I would need to know about the service order to understand what and why they did things.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 May 2015, 11:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Wait!!!

We have conflicting information from different ASC technicians? How can this be??? So I called our techs and they said all of you are crazy. One tech said that the best way to reset a computer in a PT Cruiser is to push it in the river and leave it completely submerged for 15 minutes. But you can cut the time to 5 minutes if you reset the trouble codes with a OBDII scanner while the car is submerged. Hey, this must be correct, an ASC tech said it.

PS: The reason to press the brake is to help drain any residual voltage left in system capacitors. The problem is that this residual voltage may prevent RAM memory from clearing. To detect this, you would have to open the PCM and directly check potential at the capacitor leads. Hooking an ohm meter across the unconnected positive and negative battery terminals will not detect this, but it may actually help drain the voltage since the meter would be working exactly like the brake lights in this scenario. How ironic is that?

And yes, the first response given by CREWZIN is the correct and best response to the OP's questions.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 May 2015 at 11:26 am.