Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2015, 02:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default AC ?

Let it be known first, I know nothing about our AC systems. My ? is, at best my system blows luke cool air with the AC on and with the recycle on. Under the hood, the top small alum tube is ice cold, the bottom larger alum tube is warm (or outside temp). I can hear it clicking on and off. Because I know this stuff can get expensive, and I really don't have the $ to take it to a shop, does anyone think a shot of this 'AC PRO' stuff is worth a try?

Last edited by red98gt; 09 May 2015 at 03:20 pm.
Old 09 May 2015, 03:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: AC ?

When the engine is cold and you start it up does the radiator fan come on when you turn on the A/C?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 09 May 2015 at 03:22 pm.
Old 10 May 2015, 07:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes it does.
Old 10 May 2015, 07:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If you see the AC compressor clutch cycling on and off, adding straight refrigerant until the compressor stays on would help. AC Pro is overpriced and is filled with other additives that are there to condition seals and stop leaks, sounds good, but that stuff doesn't produce cold. If the compressor stays on now, adding more stuff to the system will not make it colder. It will cause extra strain on the compressor and if you add way too much, you'll even notice the car will idle rougher and feel sluggish. I know, I've done it before I knew better.

The best way to fill a car at home is with the $8 cans of straight r-134a from Walmart. Unfortunately the only accurate way to get the correct amount in the car is to let it all out first and start from scratch. The free gauge included with a cheap fill kit is about as accurate as rolling dice.

The sticker under my good says my car takes 1.563 lbs of r-134a. That means I would need to buy three 12oz cans to get the 25.008oz I need. I would then need to make sure my AC system was empty, likely by illegally releasing whatever is in the car. Just fyi, emptying 12oz of r134a into the atmosphere is equivalent to burning 50 gallons of gasoline and that's why it's frown upon. After that I would add two full 12 oz cans, and about a 1/12th of the remaining can. The amount your car takes will be different. The sticker under the hood will tell you.

That method costs $24+tax.

If you can find a $60-70 spring time special at a shop, you'd be lightyears ahead. They will properly drain the system and pull vacuum on the lines to remove moisture before refilling it. This will make it blow colder than you possibly can by filling it at home.

IMO If you were contemplating spending the $$ on the overpriced AC Pro anyways, just spend the few extra bucks and find an AC special at a shop.

If you like messing with stuff, make sure the condenser(the AC "radiator" by the radiator) is clean and make sure the fins aren't all folded over. Cleaning and straightening fins is a free way to possibly make it cool better.

Last edited by rob342; 10 May 2015 at 09:33 pm.
Old 10 May 2015, 07:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If you see the compressor cycling on and off repeatedly, that indicates you are slightly low and you could just get a small can. Just add it until the compressor stays on and stops clicking on and off. Don't add the whole can.

Avoid the AC pro though, just get straight cheap r134a with no added dye, oil, or leak stop crap.

Using the $24 method and holding the gas pedal to 1500rpm, i managed to get my ac to 47*f measured with a thermometer in the center vent. I believe closer to 40 is ideal, but only someone like nitro could tell you something like that. I'm not a mechanic.

Last edited by rob342; 10 May 2015 at 08:03 pm.
Old 13 May 2015, 07:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

WOW great info...Thanks!