Cooling Fan

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2015, 07:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cooling Fan

Okay here is my post. My 03 Pt three weeks ago I replaced timing belt( time/mileage) ( do 99% of my own work 28 years aircraft mechanic) all good , well yesterday go to train station car idling sweetly when it overheats A few years ago I replaced cooling fan because high was out and A/C not cooling enough all good until now. Pull fan out after trying to jumper and no workie , call Advance auto where I got fan that had a "life time warranty" , their system are not linked as I moved to northern Indiana from central they have no record. they give me a 1-800 number ,well store I bought it from closed they have to do a search 24 to 48 hrs. I go to Autozone get motor , right plug wrong shaft had to buy assembly a little more ,but I know that I can go anywhere in country and it is warranted . I'm not letting Advance off the hook. Back to title of thread put new fan assembly in works great and no overheat!! I have seen a lot of posts about "Blown head gaskets" on here , wonder how many were only bad cooling fans ? I bought my PT used at 40,000 and I now have 118,000 I will tell you this my "Fleet" is 2003 PT cruiser touring edition, 2011 Chevy HHR LT
2003 Dodge Neon SXT, 71 Volkswagen Beetle ( I have had over a dozen cars over the years) PS BMW are the worst to own I know what they stand for "Bring more wompum " Break my wallet" so Mopars are not even close to being as bad I've had 4 Mopars products over the years .
Old 15 May 2015, 07:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cooling Fan

A pattern that plays out often on this forum is that the cooling fan fails and engine overheats. Afterwards, the fan is replaced but the car continues to overhead due to blown head gasket.

There appears to be a causal relationship between cooling fan failure and the resulting prevalence of blown head gaskets on the PT Cruiser. One often causes the other.

PS: There's no excuse for owning a Chevy HHR. Hurry and sell it before the shame becomes too great and consumes you.
buddyiramae likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 May 2015 at 08:00 am.
Old 15 May 2015, 08:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The reason I buy the radiator fan assembly and not just the motor is because it comes with the new radiator fan relays. Sometimes the radiator fan relays go bad also.
buddyiramae likes this.
Old 15 May 2015, 10:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Actually I love BOTH of these !!! If only Chrysler had put more effort into the Cruiser it probably would have sold even better. I'm sorry to say the HHR has the high output Eco Tech engine ..it flat flys compared to my cruiser and gets much better gas mileage , but better head room in the cruiser , besides my wife rarely lets me drive HHR .. As to "blown head gaskets", inop cooling fans...Judging from some of the posts owners kept driving car multiple over heats can cause the head to warp, or head gasket to fail . Normally there are 2 types of failure into the combustion chamber usually white smoke out the exhaust and low coolant, or leak into the oil passage ( anti-freeze into the oil) only seen this once on a Nissan ( I worked in a shop for a few years in my younger day) . Just my 2 cents for what that is worth.