PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My beautiful cruiser stopped on me out of nowhere in the Highway today.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2015, 03:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My beautiful cruiser stopped on me out of nowhere in the Highway today.

Hi , I am posting here because I need help on finding out what is wrong with my PT Cruiser. I find my car to be a real beauty and do not want to lose it yet.

While I was driving on my way to work today the RPM in my car just dropped to 0 out of nowhere and I was not able to press on the gas. During that time my Oil Pressure Light came on. I have been driving around with my Transmission Oil Dipstick half broken and I was going to get a new one today. So we checked Oil levels and they where fine. We even topped it off with more. We tried jump starting the car because it seemed like the lights where dimming which they where. We put the cables to jump start it and it gave it more power but I was still not able to start the car. We had to get the car towed to my brothers house who is able to fix it himself. We where told that it had to do with the fuel pump. Does this sound correct because I don't want him to replace it and not have that be the problem. He has a gadget to read the car codes and it said everything seemed fine.

Can someone please assure me that it is the Fuel Pump. I have had problems with my battery in the past dying on me in the winter a lot here in the Snowy state of Minnesota. If it is the fuel pump can I get some info on where it is located so that I can let my brother know and it will be just a little easier for him. Also is there anything that someone can suggest that he can do with the little gadget code reader so that I may let him know and have him take a second look at the codes. Please and thank you. Again this PT Cruiser is so beautiful to me and I would love to have it for a couple of more years. It is an awesome family car and a true beauty. Please help me out.
Old 21 May 2015, 03:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: My beautiful cruiser stopped on me out of nowhere in the Highway today.

The fuel pump is located in the gas tank. You have to drop the tank in order to access the pump.

Electric pumps die easily if they are consistently run on minimal or no gas.

-2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
-Patriot Blue, Bright Silver Metallic rear spoiler, billet grille, 17" chrome wheels, hyperground cable, Spectre short ram CAI
-119,000 miles and counting ...
Old 21 May 2015, 03:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: My beautiful cruiser stopped on me out of nowhere in the Highway today.

I have to ask...what year, turbo or na, mileage, etc?
Old 21 May 2015, 03:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

What year and how many miles on it? If the mileage is high or it's very old check the timing belt. It's supposed to be changed at 100k.
Old 21 May 2015, 03:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLF View Post
Hi , I am posting here because I need help on finding out what is wrong with my PT Cruiser. I find my car to be a real beauty and do not want to lose it yet.

While I was driving on my way to work today the RPM in my car just dropped to 0 out of nowhere and I was not able to press on the gas. During that time my Oil Pressure Light came on. I have been driving around with my Transmission Oil Dipstick half broken and I was going to get a new one today. So we checked Oil levels and they where fine. We even topped it off with more. We tried jump starting the car because it seemed like the lights where dimming which they where. We put the cables to jump start it and it gave it more power but I was still not able to start the car. We had to get the car towed to my brothers house who is able to fix it himself. We where told that it had to do with the fuel pump. Does this sound correct because I don't want him to replace it and not have that be the problem. He has a gadget to read the car codes and it said everything seemed fine.

Can someone please assure me that it is the Fuel Pump. I have had problems with my battery in the past dying on me in the winter a lot here in the Snowy state of Minnesota. If it is the fuel pump can I get some info on where it is located so that I can let my brother know and it will be just a little easier for him. Also is there anything that someone can suggest that he can do with the little gadget code reader so that I may let him know and have him take a second look at the codes. Please and thank you. Again this PT Cruiser is so beautiful to me and I would love to have it for a couple of more years. It is an awesome family car and a true beauty. Please help me out.

Can you explain the highlighted above...was the gas pedal stuck..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 21 May 2015, 04:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TXPTGT View Post
The fuel pump is located in the gas tank. You have to drop the tank in order to access the pump.

Electric pumps die easily if they are consistently run on minimal or no gas.
I have been running it quite low for the past month or two. I have been refilling it once it reaches the red light and the gas light turns on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
I have to ask...what year, turbo or na, mileage, etc?
2001 PT Cruiser Touring and Limited Edition one of the two. 137k Miles on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
What year and how many miles on it? If the mileage is high or it's very old check the timing belt. It's supposed to be changed at 100k.
I bought the car with the timing belt changed at 100k-110k Miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Can you explain the highlighted above...was the gas pedal stuck..??
No. The gas pedal was just super light. I pressed on it and nothing came from it. It was just light.
Old 21 May 2015, 05:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLF View Post
I have been running it quite low for the past month or two. I have been refilling it once it reaches the red light and the gas light turns on.

2001 PT Cruiser Touring and Limited Edition one of the two. 137k Miles on it.

I bought the car with the timing belt changed at 100k-110k Miles.

No. The gas pedal was just super light. I pressed on it and nothing came from it. It was just light.
I'm not convinced that you have a fuel pump problem. But running it low like that is not a good idea. Gas actually helps cool the pump. But the problem you may have involves the Cam and crank sensor on you model year. Check the wiring between the came sensor on the head to the crank sensor on the backside of the motor. The wire can get up against the axle shaft and short out. But will cause the pt not to run. This can be easily repaired. This only happens on the 01 and 02 models.
rob342 and dalandon like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 May 2015, 05:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail on the drivers side. cycle the key and then push the valve core in. see if gas shoots out.

testing fuel pressure,wheres the schrader valve?
Old 21 May 2015, 07:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail on the drivers side. cycle the key and then push the valve core in. see if gas shoots out.

testing fuel pressure,wheres the schrader valve?
Gas is shooting out of the Schrader valve.
Old 21 May 2015, 07:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Ithe problem you may have involves the Cam and crank sensor on you model year. Check the wiring between the cam sensor on the head to the crank sensor on the backside of the motor. The wire can get up against the axle shaft and short out. this will cause the pt not to run. This can be easily repaired. This only happens on the 01 and 02 models.
you might check ^this next. it's a free fix, and i see it on here a fairly often.

you might also check as suggested previously to see that the cam is turning unless you're positive they actually changed the timing belt. people do lie and it would just make you madder if you figure out the belt broke after trying 100 other things first. to check it you just unbolt the cam sensor and look in the hole to make sure you see stuff spin when the motor cranks

Last edited by rob342; 21 May 2015 at 07:53 pm.