Advertisements
Trailer Hitch

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pasadenahotrod03Dreamer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 May 2015, 10:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Trailer Hitch

So we all know the PT isn't supposed to tow more than 1000 pounds. Therefore, all custom-fit hitches fall in the class 1 category.

What if you have the load-support airbags in the rear? The manufacturers claim a 1000 pound higher load weight limit with those installed and inflated properly.

Are there any class 2/3 hitches on the market fitted to the PT that you know of? Any universal/adjustable ones that are compatible with the PT?

P.s the power is not an issue, even with the N/A cruisers. The 1st gear is low enough to get pretty much anything class 2-3 weight going without too much strain on the parts and pieces, it just sucks going up hills a bit.
Old 26 May 2015, 11:46 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Trailer Hitch

It might also suck when in an emergency stop situation. Be wary and aware that standards are set by engineers and safety folks who, yes often underrate olds for liability sake, want to be sure safety is number one for you and the rest of us.
podo2000 likes this.
Old 26 May 2015, 06:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
It might also suck when in an emergency stop situation. Be wary and aware that standards are set by engineers and safety folks who, yes often underrate olds for liability sake, want to be sure safety is number one for you and the rest of us.

Getting up and going is usually not the issue. Stopping is. If you are thinking about hauling heavier loads, consider getting trailer brakes.

2004 PTGT 131Kmiles
Old 28 May 2015, 11:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Okay, I'll look into the brakes. But what about hitches? I cannot find anything other than a custom fit class 1 and I'm looking to tow a vehicle 3500 pounds...maybe I'm over-estimating my car's capabilities (I've looked at those air bag support things too) but I've seen some crazy sh!t here in NC

Any universal/adjustable hitches you guys know of that line up with the tow brackets in the back of the cruiser??
Old 29 May 2015, 08:42 am
Fanatic Cruiser

No hitch company is going to offer a hitch that goes above factory recommended specifications. Liability is way too great for that.
Sometimes what we want to do just isn't going to happen unless we do it ourselves.