PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to get power window down in junkyard to remove it?

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By soonercruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2015, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How to get power window down in junkyard to remove it?

Came out to find my vehicle broken into. Main issue for me is the fact that these are probably all power window models? Even if not I will have to deal with whatever is in the junkyard.

Can't take batteries into the yard and can't rely on the vehicle to provide power directly even with a battery. Someone mentioned using the 18v battery off my drill which I'll have on me anyways. Does anyone have an idea what that harness is like? Passenger side front window.
Old 27 May 2015, 02:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to get power window down in junkyard to remove it?

I've removed PT windows in a salvage yard. You do not have to lower them with the regulator.

Instead it is fastest to just take the regulator loose from the door and from the glass and remove it. Then the glass will just slide down. Take the track loose, turn the glass at an angle and pull it out.

PS: The harder job at the salvage yard is often just to get the doors open on a PT. When some folks remove the door lock pull knobs, they inevitably push the door lock rod down when they screw the knobs off. So the doors are locked and the rods are down inside the doors. I often have to go in throw the back hatch. Then I climb over the seats and take a piece of a wire coat hanger shaped so I can reach through the pull knob holes and get a hold of the rods and pull them up. That's hard. And it's especially hard when it is over 100 degrees in the salvage yard and I am in a PT with the doors locked and all the windows up. Plus if I'm not careful, the rear hatch will close due to weak or missing lift struts, and I am effectively locked inside the PT "oven" until I can get one of the doors open. Fun, fun and more fun.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 May 2015 at 02:53 pm.
Old 27 May 2015, 02:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Is it bolted in or glued in I just saw some replacement glass with no hardware on it.
Old 27 May 2015, 02:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMotorsports View Post
Is it bolted in or glued in I just saw some replacement glass with no hardware on it.
It's all bolted. The regulator is even bolted to the glass. I believe you can do the hole job with a ratchet, 7 mm socket, 8 mm socket, 10 mm socket, needle nose pliers, and some various screwdrivers and/or prying tools. A few socket extensions and universal joint adapter come in handy too.
buddyiramae likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 May 2015 at 02:59 pm.
Old 27 May 2015, 03:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: How to get power window down in junkyard to remove it?

That was my first thought.
If you are going to take the door apart to get a window/regulator, you should be removing everything that holds it in place anyway.

If it were me, I'd take the whole "works".
I now have no extra parts in the attic. "All" has either been given away or sold!
That's how it should be.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 27 May 2015, 04:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
That was my first thought.
If you are going to take the door apart to get a window/regulator, you should be removing everything that holds it in place anyway.

If it were me, I'd take the whole "works".
I now have no extra parts in the attic. "All" has either been given away or sold!
That's how it should be.

I just want the window. On GM you just roll the window down unbolt it since the bolt hole openings are at the bottom of the door and lift the window out. Getting the regulator out would require drilling out rivets. So on GM I know its simple. 5 minutes I can get the window out of a sunfire for example. You guys make it out like taking the window out of a PT is harder lol.
Old 29 May 2015, 07:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Remove the interior door trim, will have to unbolt the regulator and about 4 bolts which hold the glass in regulator channels, be damn careful because there is a lot of sharp edges on the sheet metal and what not, I sliced myself good pilfering a cruiser for the regulators.

once you get the regulator out, you should be able to remove the glass.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 30 May 2015, 04:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

To remove the door panels, first remove the triangle trim at the rear view mirror. No need to remove door lock knobs, leave them on.
The use a Phillips head screwdriver and remove the screw inside the door handle opening and around the edges of the door panel where you see cutouts.
The using the appropriate size Torx bit remove the two screws holding the arm rest to the door.
Now pull back on the edge of the panel give a sharp pull outward. This will pop loose a couple of the six or eight bullets that hold the panel to the door. Move around the panel down across the bottom and up pulling the panel free.
Now hold the arm rest and the front edge of the panel and pull upward slightly to free the top of the panel and lift it off the lock knob.
Once free it will pull out six inches or so so you can unhook the door lock wire plug and pop the latch off the door handle rod and pull it free.
Now set the door panel aside and get to work, nothing bent, nothing broken. Reverse steps to install.