Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
OVERHEAT (kinda) Problem (?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2015, 11:08 am
Regular Cruiser

Cool OVERHEAT (kinda) Problem (?)

2006 PT; 120k; runs normal; added 4-6 MPG with RAM AIR system.
Yesterday temp gage started jumping around so I put on the heater motor as you should do; temp went back down.

IT NEVER RED LINED...

RED coolant temp indicator showed up but NOT steady

Was running the AC last week when in 80's FWIW...

Had this issue on previous vehicles. CANT remember the solution... I see NO water leaks; NO noise from water pump ( the whole h20 system being replaced in a few months regardless)

I BELEIVE the issue was/is the thermostat acting up. Since I bought this last year I have NO IDEA what maintenance was done although it seems to be well taken care of. Thermostats are persnickety devices !!!

I am replacing the thermostat and gasket today; properly bleeding as well...

Surprising enough after opening cap YESTERDAY after cooling down and added a little anti freeze the temp gage is STEADY as it HAS been in the middle

OPINIONS ???
Old 30 May 2015, 11:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: OVERHEAT (kinda) Problem (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctobyjoe View Post
Surprising enough after opening cap YESTERDAY after cooling down and added a little anti freeze the temp gauge is STEADY as it HAS been in the middle

OPINIONS ???
You said you bled the system, so if it's not leaking, there was air trapped somewhere which eventually got to the high point (cap). Now that's it's a closed/full system, it's staying in the middle, like it should. Maybe?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 May 2015, 12:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the hose between the radiator cap and the coolant overflow tank. If the hose has a crack or leak in it it will suck air when the coolant is going back into the radiator.
Old 30 May 2015, 12:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

NO I said when I replace the thermostat I *will* bleed the system
whether or not there was an air pocket is moot

I'll feel BETTER knowing the thermostat is new in 2015

MAYBE when I opened the cap and water and air escaped it fixed the issue; I dunno...but again fwiw I will replace the thermostat and gasket to feel 'more safe'

I like to replace stuff BEFORE it fails especially if I have the $ to do so...so many times sh*t fails and yr broke. THENW WHAT ?!?!?

Thanks for replying...

Joe
Old 30 May 2015, 12:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
NO I said when I replace the thermostat I *will* bleed the system
whether or not there was an air pocket is moot

I'll feel BETTER knowing the thermostat is new in 2015

MAYBE when I opened the cap and water and air escaped it fixed the issue; I dunno...but again fwiw I will replace the thermostat and gasket to feel 'more safe'

I like to replace stuff BEFORE it fails especially if I have the $ to do so...so many times sh*t fails and yr broke. THENW WHAT ?!?!?

Thanks for replying...

Joe
I would suggest you do a coolant pressure test. Make sure your coolant system is sealed.
Old 30 May 2015, 04:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
2006 PT; 120k; runs normal; added 4-6 MPG with RAM AIR system.
Yesterday temp gage started jumping around so I put on the heater motor as you should do; temp went back down.

IT NEVER RED LINED...

RED coolant temp indicator showed up but NOT steady

Was running the AC last week when in 80's FWIW...

Had this issue on previous vehicles. CANT remember the solution... I see NO water leaks; NO noise from water pump ( the whole h20 system being replaced in a few months regardless)

I BELEIVE the issue was/is the thermostat acting up. Since I bought this last year I have NO IDEA what maintenance was done although it seems to be well taken care of. Thermostats are persnickety devices !!!

I am replacing the thermostat and gasket today; properly bleeding as well...

Surprising enough after opening cap YESTERDAY after cooling down and added a little anti freeze the temp gage is STEADY as it HAS been in the middle

OPINIONS ???
I thought it was posted a while back that this means nothing for the PT Cruiser...it doesn't work as water is always flowing through the core.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 31 May 2015, 07:19 am
Regular Cruiser

Its all done; contrary to a YOUTUBE video it didn't take 11 minutes. Since I was going to replace the plugs; wires and coil I did it all at the same time; same goes for that curved transverse coolant line hose. With REAL worm gear clamps.

There was a LOT Of corrosion for lack of a better word where the old seat for the thermostat was. It appears the thermostat was STOCK from 2006; it had the CHRYSLER insignia on it !

Cleaned everything; anti seize on wires and plugs; replaced with AUTOLITE; there were NGKs in there and VERY nice and clean...a good burn on the tips.

I also found my 'missing' oil cap which fell below

A nice 4 hr plus after noon and everything is humming along
Joe
Old 28 Jun 2015, 01:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok. Im new to this and maybe doing it wrong. I have an 01 touring w/67,000. The other day i took it to get an oil change. Two days later it started knockin like it was running hot but it wasnt. Checked the oil and the level was fine but once it warms up it starts back knockin and rattling like its hot again. Can some one please help. Also i have loss of power when running the ac. When i take off i have to turn the ac off to pick up speed and then back on. Also terrible gas mileage when running ac. Any help would be appreicated. Thx...
Old 29 Jun 2015, 03:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i'm having the same overheating problems . changed the thermostat . my bleeder plug didn't want to move and i didn't want to break it , so i didn't bleed the system .....sure enough it spiked again today .
Old 01 Jul 2015, 08:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Also id like to add It only knocks/rattles like its hot when im driving not at idle. I was told by 1 person it was the main bearings, another said torque converter. At a loss. Please someone help...