Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
tie rod/alignment question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2015, 01:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default tie rod/alignment question

About two months ago I got two front tires for my 2010 Cruiser with 66,000 on the clock. They had worn unevenly. About a week later I had an alignment. The last several days there has been a noticeable shimmy when I get close to 50. Now, about two weeks ago when the car was getting state inspected I had to have a motor mount replaced as well as a tie rod end. So, my question is, do I need to have another alignment due to the tie rod replacement? My back tires are cupped and I have to get other ones this week if I can find the time. Possibly, the shimmy is coming from that.
Old 31 May 2015, 01:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: tie rod/alignment question

Yes. If you have had a tie rod replaced, then you definitely need an alignment or at least have the alignment checked.

Also, I recommend you go some place new for the alignment. A good shop will do a pretty thorough inspection of the steering and under carriage while doing the alignment. If you picked up a shimmy right after the last alignment, either something came loose, the shop did not find an existing problem and/or they did a poor or incomplete alignment. It may not be their fault, but why take the chance?

I prefer doing most automotive work myself. But it really takes a good tech with the right equipment to do a proper alignment. And the inspection they do while the car is up on the lift is very valuable to a DIY guy since some issues are much easier to detect once the car is in the air. This is money well spent.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 31 May 2015 at 02:01 pm.
Old 31 May 2015, 05:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: tie rod/alignment question

Actually, I think it might have been a tie rod end. If my recollection is correct, does that make any difference?