PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cooling fan - best brand

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2015, 03:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cooling fan - best brand

Hi everyone, I have to replace my cooling fan. I have a 2009 PT Cruiser classic, and I want to touch base with you to know which is the best brand to buy and replace it.
I'm from Argentina so I need to buy it by ebay or amazon and deliver it to here. I saw differents brands like TYC - GPD - NISSEN, etc.

I will appreciate your help on that.

Thank you.
Daniel.

Last edited by danikap; 05 Jun 2015 at 03:16 pm.
Old 05 Jun 2015, 03:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Cooling fan - best brand

I like Dorman. I have one on my PT and also have a Dorman that's made for a Nissan sentra cooling my mustang. haven't had any issues with either one.
Old 06 Jun 2015, 12:53 am
Cool Cruiser

I recently bought my TYC fan from RockAuto.com.....cheaper than Dorman's but same limited lifetime warranty.....works fine and fit was exact including connector
Old 09 Jun 2015, 06:39 am
Young Cruiser

You can't go wrong with Dorman. A bit pricey but will provide years of good service.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 07:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Today I got the dreaded idle bump and vehicle shake at stop with my air conditioner on. I just replaced the fan assembly May 2014 and 20,000 miles ago with a Dorman 620-052 cooling fan assembly on my 2007 PT Cruiser. I confirmed the low speed fan is not turning on when the AC is on. I purchased the fan from Amazon and hopefully I can figure out how to get it replaced under the lifetime limited warranty it states on Dorman's website. Do these fans only last 1 year/20,000 miles?
Old 23 Jun 2015, 07:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
Today I got the dreaded idle bump and vehicle shake at stop with my air conditioner on. I just replaced the fan assembly May 2014 and 20,000 miles ago with a Dorman 620-052 cooling fan assembly on my 2007 PT Cruiser. I confirmed the low speed fan is not turning on when the AC is on. I purchased the fan from Amazon and hopefully I can figure out how to get it replaced under the lifetime limited warranty it states on Dorman's website. Do these fans only last 1 year/20,000 miles?

Have you checked the 2 relays on the left side of the fan, one is low speed, the other high speed.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 23 Jun 2015, 08:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As Lion_PT says to check the relays.
If that is okay then check the radiator harness connector at the bottom of the radiator fan. Make sure its making good contact.
If that looks good then I would suggest applying 12 volts to both high and low speed wires and see if they are working or not.
Old 25 Jun 2015, 06:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I still had my original OEM fan with only 18,000 miles and confirmed the relays all work on the fan and also jumpered the motor power wires and confirmed the low speed circuit is the failure. I will check the Dorman fan this weekend to determine if it is relay or the fan failed like the OEM one after I get my replacement from Amazon(shipped today). At first Amazon was not going to ship a replacement since it has been 13 months and their site did not note anything about the Dorman lifetime warranty. After telling them Dorman says it is lifetime and mentioned to check their website they agreed to ship the replacement at no charge. I will update after I install the new one and check the 13 old month Dorman for root cause.
buddyiramae likes this.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 08:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I received the replacement Dorman fan module from Amazon on Friday and swapped it out. The second time around I was much quicker. I checked the relays on the Dorman and they all functioned and the confirmed the low speed fan failed just like the OEM fan. I was wondering if there is some type of design issue where the PT cruiser causes early death to the low speed fan since I now have replaced two from different manufacturers with the same failure. I am having a hard time trying to understand how the DC fan circuit could be causing early failures. Other options are motor overheating(winding insulation breakdown), contamination/moisture, vibration & over-current. Has anyone replaced more than two fans on a 2G PT Cruiser and how many miles?
Old 26 Aug 2015, 07:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am about to replace the fan in my '05 PT Convertible for the 4th time. It has 163k miles. I bought a Dorman fan from Rock Auto the second time and have already replaced that under the lifetime warranty once. Now I'm about to do it again.

Any thoughts on why I am burning up fans? It's nice that they are covered by the lifetime warranty and I'm getting pretty darn good at replacing them, but I would really like to not have to replace it again.