PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Another Airbag Light Puzzle

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2015, 09:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Another Airbag Light Puzzle

I have a 2001 Touring Edition with 140,000 miles that I just obtained. I have the classic airbag light staying on, (most of the time). I thought others might enjoy a puzzle, so I submit this post. I have checked and cleaned the retractor connectors, checked the continuity between the controller and the sensors, and cleaned the controller connector as best I could. Upon reassembly the air bag light stayed off...for about 5 minutes. I recleaned the purple ground wire connector and under the contoller, making sure there was a good ground. Okay, so here is the puzzle. I live in eastern Washington state, and we have been experiencing some hot days lately. When I left the car outside the other day, and got into it to put it back in the garage, the airbag light was off!! The next morning after things cooled off, airbag light was back on. So I repeated leaving the car out in the sun, and guess what, no airbag light that evening. Go figure?? So the next day, that's when I re-cleaned the ground, I even put a jumper lead on the ground wire to another good ground. Same problem, when the car is cool, the airbag light comes on and stays on, ..most of the time. Does anyone have a thought they care to share? Don't really want to replace the clockspring, on the assumption that it might be bad. I have not taken it to a dealer yet, because it looks like folks have not had very good luck with the dealers.
Old 07 Jun 2015, 09:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Another Airbag Light Puzzle

Does your car have leather seats? If so, have you checked and cleaned the connectors under the seats? Many other owners have reported corrosion and problems with those airbag connectors.
Old 08 Jun 2015, 05:14 am
Young Cruiser

Mine is an 06 so it may not be related. I had the same issue, took it to the dealer and they read the codes and told me it was the front passenger seat belt buckle. I replaced it and have not had a problem since.
Old 08 Jun 2015, 08:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Does you cruise control and horn work?
Old 08 Jun 2015, 09:22 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Does your car have leather seats? If so, have you checked and cleaned the connectors under the seats? Many other owners have reported corrosion and problems with those airbag connectors.
Mine has cloth seats but it was an intermittent break in the lead from the connector under the seat to the side curtain airbag - spliced a new pair of cables in and not had a problem since
myckee likes this.
Old 08 Jun 2015, 08:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks all, for your suggestions. Yes, my horn and cruise control work, and I have cloth seats. Since mine is a 2001, I don't think it has side air bags, and I think it is too early of a model for the occupancy sensors and under seat connectors. Isn't that correct? However, the buckle connectors I may have overlooked. For some reason I was thinking that the buckle connector issues were more of a later model issue. But I will check them out. Thank you. Might be worth the gamble to take it to a dealer if they can be as specific as a passenger seat buckle. The nagging question in my head though, is why did the heat of the day make a difference, twice? (It does get hot here, today it was 100 degrees).
Old 08 Jun 2015, 09:50 pm
Young Cruiser

I tried to verify the problem was the seat belt buckle, I disconnected it and jumped the connector which didn't work. As soon as I plugged in the new buckle it went away. I know that my buddies code reader wouldn't read the airbag codes but the dealer could. As far as the heat, it could be causing the material to expand just enough to make contact? Good luck.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 11:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I did take the car to the dealer to have them check the restraint codes. No luck, they found nothing.

I wonder how often the control units go bad? I found an 04 that was in the process of being junked, and snagged the restraint control module from it. The airbags had not been deployed, so I am thinking it is still good. My problem is still most likely a bad connection somewhere,..but the control unit would certainly be easy enough to change out. Anyone have any thoughts about doing so?
Old 19 Jun 2015, 02:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod9669 View Post
Mine has cloth seats but it was an intermittent break in the lead from the connector under the seat to the side curtain airbag - spliced a new pair of cables in and not had a problem since
This bloody jinxed me - my airbag light has been on for the last few days. Not had a chance to work out why yet - might be the heat?

Bollox
Old 19 Jun 2015, 11:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, that is a hoot. Sorry about that, if I loose a timing belt and bend some valves, I won't say a word. But do post what you find.