• 2 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By 06OregonCruiser
  • 1 Post By wb2kki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2015, 09:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Instrument Gauges Go Dead, Then Power loss

2006 PT Cruiser Base Model:

The past couple of months, on occasion, while driving down the road, the Instrument Panel Gauges would all go dead and all of the indicator lights would come on. Than, the car would lose power for a few seconds and come back.

It has grown more and more and tonight, it actually died but restarted. The battery was just changed 6 months ago. I've looked up the issue and it appears to be a very common one that has never been solved nor recognized by Chrysler.

When I bought the car the new in 06, from the start it displayed electrical issues that I complained about and took in several times, only for the dealership unable to replicate the issue. Since then, I've lost my AC, which a Mechanic said it was an electrical problem, my Head lights flicker when turning on or switching from low to high beams.

But the main issue now is the Instrument panel and loss of power. Can anyone help? I've read it could be; PCM, BCM, CAN bus, (Controllers Area Network), a defective alternator, and countless other possibilities. Any and all help would be extremely great! Thank You
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Triplesevn; 07 Jun 2015 at 09:56 pm. Reason: Added Year & Make of Car
Old 07 Jun 2015, 09:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Instrument Gauges Go Dead, Then Power loss

The Problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 08 Jun 2015, 12:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking your ignition switch if the engine is cutting out when you have the dancing gauges but first make sure all battery cable connectors are clean and making good contact. Make absolutely sure your battery is good before checking the ignition switch.
Alynn and Triplesevn like this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 08 Jun 2015 at 12:10 am.
Old 08 Jun 2015, 05:11 am
Young Cruiser

2006 is the first year of the can-bus system. I have heard that the TIPM can cause all kinds of electrical issues. I don't know how to prove if it's good or bad. Good luck.
Triplesevn likes this.
Old 08 Jun 2015, 05:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Electronics are a nightmare as you see so it can be anything . But where I wound start is with the TIMP. Other than the computer TIMP is the heart other than the battery. First double check the battery connections and grounds. Then take apart the TIMP and clean the terminals bunch of connectors on the bottom and check for water damage. Pull the wire harness connections check for water. Other than that you have to wait till it goes haywire find a guy who can really read a dealer scanner.

Been having problems for two years with my Liberty getting all kinds of alarms and the car going into lip mode. Lucked out and found corrosion in a 73 pin connector. Dealer and my mechanic could never find the problem.

Good luck.
Triplesevn likes this.
Old 15 Jun 2015, 06:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank You all for the help. I just incurred another issue as well. My brakes went hard and the engine rpms were up. Thanks to this forum, I found the problem.

Vaccum valve rubber stopper appears to have come off. You could hear the hissing sound coming from it. I put electrical tape over it since none of the mass auto parts stores had a rubber stopper big enough to fix the problem. I'll contact my local dealer and see if I can get the replacement from them today.

Otherwise, I haven't had the issue with the dash since plugging that. I wonder if that vaccum plug missing had anything to do with the Dash. I think it's about time to get rid of my PT. I've had it since day 1. Bought it in March of 07 (it's an 06) and it now has 210 TM on it. I've had to replace the engine thanks to a blown belt. It's been in 5 wrecks, none of which were caused by our PT. And of course the typipcal upkeep, wear and tear maintence stuff.

Thanks again for the help...

Tags
electrical problems, instrument cluster, instrument panel, power loss