06 Pt Timing Belt

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2015, 10:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 Pt Timing Belt

Hello everyone,

Its been awhile since I have posted I mostly just read and learn. Anyway
I have a major issue with my 06 cruiser. The car has 80,000 miles and has never given me any problems up until 2 weeks ago when it suddenly stalled at a light.
It would crank but not start so I had it towed to the nearest shop. The next day the mechanic diagnosed the problem and told me that the timing belt broke and it would be a $1200.00 repair.
I had no choice other than to have it repaired, two days later I go to pick up my car the mechanic was on a test drive when he returned 1 1/2 later he said the car kept stalling and he had to increase the idle.
He handed me the keys and said the car needs a new engine and it would cost me $5000.00 . Later that evening I returned to the shop and spoke to the manager and told him between towing my car 3 times and paying for this repair I have payed $1500.00 and I had to walk here. The old belt just happened to be in his office, I said to him is this my old belt? He said yes then I said to him this belt is not broken or shredded in pieces your mechanic said it was and insists that there is damage to the valves.

The belt is worn and is missing some teeth and there is also a very small piece that chipped off the side, I feel that may be the reason the car stalled at the light. Very very long story short this mechanic shop insists that there is damage to the engine. They have replace the timing belt kit again, the both engine mounts ( that the first mechanic failed to replace ) also the harmonic balancer.

Now the engine will idle normally but stalls when driven I asked the tech if there are any codes showing up he said yes the codes are for the camshaft/crankshaft. However this shop is refusing to replace the sensors and are insisting that I need a new engine

My car has been in the shop for 7 days and these arses can't figure it out, anyway after my screaming and kicking lol they agreed to have my car towed to another shop and reimbursed me $250.00 Has anyone had this issue with their PT? I really believe its the sensors I am so close to filing a claim against the first shop I feel he should not have driven my car when it was running so poorly.

Last edited by mystynm; 12 Jun 2015 at 10:54 am.
Old 12 Jun 2015, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06 Pt Timing Belt

Many owners have come here after a bad time at a rip-off repair facility. If you've seen the forums you'll know that they are lying about the valve damage especially since you only had stalling problems. Valve damage very rarely happens and then only when the belt breaks when the engine is at high revs. But since they already said that was your belt (not broken) why would they think you damaged the valves and need a new engine?

The codes for the Cam or Crank sensors do come on when the belt breaks as they're no longer turning and sending the correct signals to the computer but when either one has faulty wires or connections, that also triggers the sensors. Both sensors should have been checked by their shop.

If the new shop is competent, they should find your stalling problem and could give you enough evidence to prove the other shop is responsible for faulty work and then maybe a lawyer should come into play.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Jun 2015, 11:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks CREWZIN!!

I just posted a photo of the belt yes its worn and there is a piece missing however it is still intact. I have also been in contact with the Chrysler dealer and have been informed that valve damage is highly unlikely. They are saying this because the engine jumped time. I also asked the manager if the engine had power or was sluggish when driven he said it seemed to have a lot of power.

Last edited by mystynm; 12 Jun 2015 at 11:05 am.
Old 12 Jun 2015, 12:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think it is still out of time. We seem to have ore pros get this wrong than DIYers on here. I suggest to those that do the job to get good pics of the alignment in order to rule that out. Then the sensors would be the next thing to check in your case. Givi'n you have those codes. If timing is off you can get these codes. If you had valve damage. You would not have a smooth running engine at any rpm. But like the dealer said highly unlikely. Actually it's darn near impossible. From the thing we have seen posted here and what I have observed on a head I have in the shop. if you have someone look into it. Get the to take pics of the belt alignment they find. That the most likely evadence of what is wrong.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 12 Jun 2015 at 01:07 pm.
Old 12 Jun 2015, 03:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help

The tech that is checking my car now works for a high performance shop. He worked on my 03 bmw 325i I never had any issues they do excellent work. The Pt would have gone there however I needed it the next day well its been over a week now I can't wait to take it back to the first mechanic when its running again and tell them I told you so, I told them at the beginning of all of this that the engine was off timing
Old 12 Jun 2015, 04:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystynm View Post
Thanks for the help

The tech that is checking my car now works for a high performance shop. He worked on my 03 bmw 325i I never had any issues they do excellent work. The Pt would have gone there however I needed it the next day well its been over a week now I can't wait to take it back to the first mechanic when its running again and tell them I told you so, I told them at the beginning of all of this that the engine was off timing
Have them text or email the pics to your phone of the timing as they find it so you have something to show them.
rckstein likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 12 Jun 2015, 04:50 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I think it is still out of time. We seem to have ore pros get this wrong than DIYers on here. I suggest to those that do the job to get good pics of the alignment in order to rule that out. Then the sensors would be the next thing to check in your case. Givi'n you have those codes. If timing is off you can get these codes. If you had valve damage. You would not have a smooth running engine at any rpm. But like the dealer said highly unlikely. Actually it's darn near impossible. From the thing we have seen posted here and what I have observed on a head I have in the shop. if you have someone look into it. Get the to take pics of the belt alignment they find. That the most likely evadence of what is wrong.
I'll bet the first shop is holding their breath as they should be on the hook for any additional or extra expenses if another shop finds their work is out of time, even if they replaced the belt again, they could have gotten it wrong 2 times
Old 12 Jun 2015, 04:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystynm View Post
Thanks for the help

I'd complain if that's the problem...try to get some money back.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 17 Jun 2015, 02:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 06 Pt Timing Belt Update

I spoke to my mechanic this morning he advised that the timing belt is still off time He also said that he has taken photos of the timing marks showing that the belt was not installed properly. I think this may be the 8th time that the belt has been taken off now
He also disagrees with the first shop regarding major engine damage. I have called the service manager and have requested at least a partial refund on labor as this job will be over $300.00. She tried to argue with me but I let her know that I have the photos proving that the work was done incorrectly.

Last edited by mystynm; 17 Jun 2015 at 02:37 pm.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 02:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 06 Pt Timing Belt Update

1 tooth is all that is needed to be OUT OF TIME and it is so easy on the PT to be 1 tooth off it happens to a lot of folks they came back and say what you said its sluggish or its this and its that and the shop swears it is in time in the end its 1 tooth off happens a lot

hope you get your lady back right and get some money back