PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
General $ question.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2015, 07:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default General $ question.

#1) I just moved to a new town, and had to get a new mechanic. Had him install new front struts (I supplied the struts), and do an alignment. I just don't want to get wripped off with a new mechanic. Bill was..
'Remove and Replace both front Struts' 160.00
'Front end Alignment 69.95
Total w/tax 243.75
.................................................. .............................
#2) Want to get my Convert pinstriped, Pinstripper wants 100.00 for 2 lines 'Painted' (don't want tape) what do you think?

Thanks!
Old 15 Jun 2015, 07:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: General $ question.

prices don't seem out of line to me.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 15 Jun 2015, 08:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
#1) I just moved to a new town, and had to get a new mechanic. Had him install new front struts (I supplied the struts), and do an alignment. I just don't want to get wripped off with a new mechanic. Bill was..
Total w/tax 243.75
.................................................. .............................
#2) Want to get my Convert pinstriped, Pinstripper wants 100.00 for 2 lines 'Painted' (don't want tape) what do you think?

Thanks!
What you are quoting seems in line to me also.
Old 15 Jun 2015, 08:44 pm
Banned

Prices seem fair to me. I did the struts myself, pretty easy, about 15 mins. per side, then just take it in for the alignment.
Old 15 Jun 2015, 10:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Prices seem fair to me. I did the struts myself, pretty easy, about 15 mins. per side, then just take it in for the alignment.
If he had strut assemblies is one thing just struts that need to have the spring swapped is another.
rob342 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Jun 2015, 09:40 am
Veteran Cruiser

i think that's good and IMO he has every right to mark up the labor a bit to make up for the money he lost marking up the parts. if you did at my friends shop he'd likely have asked if you bring eggs to the restaurant with you and sent you on your way
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i think that's good and IMO he has every right to mark up the labor a bit to make up for the money he lost marking up the parts. if you did at my friends shop he'd likely have asked if you bring eggs to the restaurant with you and sent you on your way
Getting your oun parts can save you a bunch of money even if the shop add their normal parts markup. Like rob342 suggest, they should. It's a important part in staying in business. Lots of overhead to running a business. What is commonly seen as profit is not. Lots of hands reaching in for a peace of the pie. State, federal, city, and Many other things that come out of the companies pocket.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Jun 2015, 10:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
His shop, his rules! Some shop owners won't put on parts purchased elsewhere. I have worked for one of those. There are parts that he can't get wholesale. Your best bet is to go to his shop, tell him what you want to do and see if he can get the parts. If he can't he will probably tell you to get them and he will install them for a price. There are only so many hours in a work day and if he can make more money selling and installing parts why take in work for just the labor.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 11:04 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
...What is commonly seen as profit is not. Lots of hands reaching in for a peace of the pie. State, federal, city, and Many other things that come out of the companies pocket.
That's what the "10-percent across the board for no particular reason" charge is for.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 11:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98gt View Post
Total w/tax 243.75

Thanks!
That's not too bad. I'm guessing he gets $80 an hour for shop time for 2 hours labor. And about $70 is the going rate here for a quality alignment with all the bells and whistles. Labor rates vary depending on where you live. So I can't really argue with that. It all looks in line to me.