Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Removal of Air Bag 2009--How to get the air bag retaining clip to release

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2015, 03:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Removal of Air Bag 2009--How to get the air bag retaining clip to release

I am (early) in the process to install a speed control in my 2009. However, I am stuck on the airbag retaining clip. I understand how it works. I have looked at pictures of a removed airbag and I can see up in the hole. I have several stubby flat blade screw drivers. I can feel the clip move as I twist the screw driver, but it will not release. Any tips or tricks to get the air bag off (0n a 2009)? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 10:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Removal of Air Bag 2009--How to get the air bag retaining clip to release

I was finally able to get the airbag connectors to release. I used the largest Craftsman semi-stubby flat tip screw driver that I have. It just barely fit in the hole and it was just large enough to get the connector over the catch (as the flat part of the screw driver was twisted 90 degrees) and thereby release. Also I had to have the steering column as low as possible to accommodate the longer screw driver.
Old 19 Jun 2015, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Angry Re: Removal of Air Bag 2009--How to get the air bag retaining clip to release

EXACTLY!
There had been several posts on the tightness of the retaining clips in the last year on this forum.
I know that I will likely make several trips behind the dash in my PT's lifetime.
So, I simply flatten those clips to make them easier to release.
The engineers engineer fit and tighness.
They probably NEVER try to take off the parts they design.

DUH!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!