PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Argh! No Fuel No spark

 
Like Tree2Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2015, 03:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 18
Unhappy Argh! No Fuel No spark

The car is a 2005 base pt with 60k miles, its been sitting 3 years unused. The head wrapped last time it was driven as a hose clamp broke off a radiator hose. I drained the gas from the tank before letting the car sit.

So far I resurfaced the head changed the timing belt put a new headgasket in with every other seal or gasket I could find. I cleaned the old grounds ,made some new grounding straps borrowed a battery from a running car added 3 gallons of fresh gas. All this only to find the motors internals move freely but there is now fuel or spark. Starter works fine, pcm throws a bunch of codes, I am using the grey factory key ( solid on light then beep).

I am hearing a relay that sounds like the one to the fuel pump but the fuel pump won't pump fuel. Spark plug doesn't appear to throw a spark

What am I doing wrong or still have to fix? Is this this a pcm issue?

Also if anyone has access to the fuel system wiring diagram I would really like to see it.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2015, 06:06 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SW PA
Posts: 1,344
Default Re: Argh! No Fuel No spark

Been done before--- coil harness and Cam sensor harness are the same configuration. If you have the switched --- no spark.

Have someone turn the key and listen for the fuel pump ticking...
__________________
Addicted to Mopar You can tell how old I am..
65 Dodge Coronet 6 cyl 2dr Post
66 Ply Satellite with 273 engine swap to 69 340 4spd
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2015, 06:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 18
Default Re: Argh! No Fuel No spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Been done before--- coil harness and Cam sensor harness are the same configuration. If you have the switched --- no spark.

Have someone turn the key and listen for the fuel pump ticking...
Seriously?... Chrysler used the same plug in the same location.... Well it an easy fix at least

The fuel pump is not doing anything, I pulled the line before the regulator any sucked some fuel through to make sure the line was not blocked. Is there any other system or sender that has control over the fuel pump like a safety shut off?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2015, 07:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,309
Default Re: Argh! No Fuel No spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jere View Post
The car is a 2005 base pt with 60k miles, its been sitting 3 years unused. The head wrapped last time it was driven as a hose clamp broke off a radiator hose. I drained the gas from the tank before letting the car sit.

So far I resurfaced the head changed the timing belt put a new headgasket in with every other seal or gasket I could find. I cleaned the old grounds ,made some new grounding straps borrowed a battery from a running car added 3 gallons of fresh gas. All this only to find the motors internals move freely but there is now fuel or spark. Starter works fine, pcm throws a bunch of codes, I am using the grey factory key ( solid on light then beep).

I am hearing a relay that sounds like the one to the fuel pump but the fuel pump won't pump fuel. Spark plug doesn't appear to throw a spark

What am I doing wrong or still have to fix? Is this this a pcm issue?

Also if anyone has access to the fuel system wiring diagram I would really like to see it.
Do you have a OBDII Scan Tool so you can post what the codes are? There are too many possibilities to narrow down and give you a good diagnosis until we get the codes.

Is your little security red light staying on on the dash when you are trying to start the engine or does it go off?

Have you checked the little battery in the ignition key?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2015, 08:17 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,886
Default Re: Argh! No Fuel No spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Do you have a OBDII Scan Tool so you can post what the codes are? There are too many possibilities to narrow down and give you a good diagnosis until we get the codes.

Is your little security red light staying on on the dash when you are trying to start the engine or does it go off?

Have you checked the little battery in the ignition key?
No battery in the key.The ones that do only work the fob not the key recognition.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2015, 11:03 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SW PA
Posts: 1,344
Default Re: Argh! No Fuel No spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jere View Post
Seriously?... Chrysler used the same plug in the same location.... Well it an easy fix at least

The fuel pump is not doing anything, I pulled the line before the regulator any sucked some fuel through to make sure the line was not blocked. Is there any other system or sender that has control over the fuel pump like a safety shut off?
Hope you didn't use human to "suck" fuel, if you choke and swallow gas will quickly enter your lungs and blood stream, swelling the throat so breathing becomes difficult or impossible and scaring the lungs for life if you pull through.
A friend did this years ago and lived to tell, and then I heard of other siphoning stories that would make you never even think of doing it.
__________________
Addicted to Mopar You can tell how old I am..
65 Dodge Coronet 6 cyl 2dr Post
66 Ply Satellite with 273 engine swap to 69 340 4spd
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23 Jun 2015, 11:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,309
Default Re: Argh! No Fuel No spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
No battery in the key.The ones that do only work the fob not the key recognition.
Thanks for the reminder!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jun 2015, 12:07 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 18
Default Re: Argh! No Fuel No spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Been done before--- coil harness and Cam sensor harness are the same configuration. If you have the switched --- no spark.

Have someone turn the key and listen for the fuel pump ticking...
Hanks that fixed most of the codes

Edit This one was because car is jacked up

P0462 - Chrysler


And this one... I am guessing it's the charcoal can maybe( if it has a sensor at least) it most likely didn't like me suctioning fuel from the fuel line. ( this was with a handheld pump not by mouth but thanks for the concern all the same )

P0499 - Generic
Type Powertrain - Auxiliary Emission Controls - ISO/SAE Controlled
Description
Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve Control Circuit High

Can anyone verify these?

Last edited by jere; 24 Jun 2015 at 12:27 am. Reason: Fixed an issue
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jun 2015, 12:11 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 18
Default Re: Argh! No Fuel No spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Do you have a OBDII Scan Tool so you can post what the codes are? There are too many possibilities to narrow down and give you a good diagnosis until we get the codes.

Is your little security red light staying on on the dash when you are trying to start the engine or does it go off?

Have you checked the little battery in the ignition key?
The light goes of when hitting the starter position with the key. I tried this with a non transponder blank key and the light keeps blinking through the process.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 24 Jun 2015, 12:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,309
Default Re: Argh! No Fuel No spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jere View Post
Hanks that fixed most of the codes

This one is new most likely because the rear of the car is jacked up so I can get to the fuel pump.

P0462 - Chrysler
Type Powertrain - Auxiliary Emission Controls - ISO/SAE Controlled
Description
Fuel Level Sending Unit Volts Too Low Conditions
Cause
Engine running, then the PCM received a message from the Body Control Module that indicated a Fuel Level Sending Unit Circuit Low condition had been detected



P0462 Chrysler - Fuel Level Sensor 1 Circuit Low

Possible causes
Faulty fuel level sensor
Fuel level sensor harness is open or shorted
Fuel level sensor circuit poor electrical connection


And this one... I am guessing it's the charcoal can maybe( if it has a sensor at least) it most likely didn't like me suctioning fuel from the fuel line. ( this was with a handheld pump not by mouth but thanks for the concern all the same )

P0499 - Generic
Type Powertrain - Auxiliary Emission Controls - ISO/SAE Controlled
Description
Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve Control Circuit High



P0499 - Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve Control Circuit High

Possible causes
Faulty EVAP Canister Vent Valve
Faulty EVAP Canister Purge valve
Plugged EVAP canister condition
Faulty EVAP Pressure Sensor
EVAP Canister Vent Valve harness is open or shorted
EVAP Canister Vent Valve circuit poor electrical connection


Can anyone verify these?
Yes, I just gave it more details.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Crank no Fuel No spark madoublet863 Tech & Performance Forum 9 28 Oct 2013 09:18 am
2001 PT cruiser, no spark, no fuel..?..?..? ozmr Tech & Performance Forum 9 19 Jun 2010 10:36 pm
Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!%$&#@ careyk General PT Cruiser Discussions 2 11 Sep 2009 08:58 pm
good spark and fuel, but won't fire up! quintas Tech & Performance Forum 3 27 May 2009 06:20 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors