Advertisements
brake self adjusters

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Carl48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2015, 07:25 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default brake self adjusters

Did a rear brake job this week on my 08 PT and noticed that the self adjuster arm works off of the leading shoe. Didn't spend a whole lot of time analyzing the set up at the time but on second thought it seems to me that the brakes will self adjust when the brakes are applied when the vehicle is in forward motion. OK brake gurus, is this correct reasoning?

My past drum brake experience has been mostly with brakes that self adjust when the vehicle is stopped while in reverse motion.
Old 27 Jun 2015, 08:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: brake self adjusters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Did a rear brake job this week on my 08 PT and noticed that the self adjuster arm works off of the leading shoe. Didn't spend a whole lot of time analyzing the set up at the time but on second thought it seems to me that the brakes will self adjust when the brakes are applied when the vehicle is in forward motion. OK brake gurus, is this correct reasoning?

My past drum brake experience has been mostly with brakes that self adjust when the vehicle is stopped while in reverse motion.
This is correct...I did my rear shoes 2 weeks ago.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 27 Jun 2015, 10:22 am
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 06:15 pm.
Old 02 Jul 2015, 03:32 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for the replies.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 12:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
This is correct...I did my rear shoes 2 weeks ago.
I am getting a metal to metal sound when braking from my rear brakes. What parts did you have changed in the rear and how hard of a DIY was it.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 01:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmoneyceo View Post
I am getting a metal to metal sound when braking from my rear brakes. What parts did you have changed in the rear and how hard of a DIY was it.
I just replaced the shoes.
It's not that difficult once you figure it out...it took maybe 20 min to do the 1st side & 5 min to do the 2nd. The hardest part for me was trying to do it alone, you really need another person to help out to make things easier. A extra pair of heads is helpful when you try to hook up the emergency cable to the shoes...and for me, it was easier to hook the shoes & springs together before mounting them to the car...which is completely reverse how I've done it in the past. If you lay everything down & attach all the parts, then slide them into place, have a friend hold 1 side while you attach the pin, than push the other side down & attach other pin.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 11 Aug 2015, 06:43 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The return springs are a PITA to remove and install. A typical brake spring pliers will not work on them. Use a needle nose vise grips to get a good grip on these springs.
Old 12 Aug 2015, 02:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmoneyceo View Post
Here is a link to a youtube vid on how this dude did it. He is pretty obviously just a shade tree mechanic, typical DIY kind of guy, yet he does get the job done.

This vid doesn't say or show anything about getting the brake drum off and that can be problematic especially if your brake drums are worn a lot. I've spent over an hour trying to get some off. Generally if they are that bad you can not just toss in a new set of shoes and call it a day. Sometimes they are so worn out that they can not be turned and must be replaced.

Sometimes if they have been metal on metal for a long time they must be replaced. Here in town the only place that you can have brake drums or rotors turned is the NAPA store and they are really picky about turning these parts.

I've had them refuse to do rotors a few times and told the owner they need to have them replaced. The owner has taken them elsewhere and had them turned and I put them on for them. I don't really like that as I think the NAPA folks know better but,... the customer is always right, right?

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 12 Aug 2015, 03:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The extra pair of hands in the vid come in handy for attaching the parking brake cable.

IMHO, don't be in a big hurry to do the job...you only do this what? every 50000 miles or so (your results may vary based on your driving style) so spend some time and look things over real good for leaks, wear, etc. Clean out all the old brake dust with brake cleaner. Lightly lube the backing plate where the shoes contact it. Lube the self adjuster threads with anti-seize. Replace the springs and hardware, especially if you live in the rust belt. Spend the few bucks and get the repair manual for the car... it will walk you through the job step by step and will pay for itself the first time you use it. Take some time and do the job right... this is a safety issue.
Cashew likes this.