PT Cruise color identification

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 03TXPTGT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2015, 09:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruise color identification

Hi All
There was a theft in my neighborhood last week and my surveillance cameras caught an image of a PT cruiser the may be involved. I know it is not the best quality but it was very dark that night. I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on this type of vehicle. It looks like it turns from maroon to green as it passes through the light. I guess my main question would be what color would it be during the day? It looks like it has black wheels. I don't know much about the PT Cruisers and not sure what changes were made from model to model so would it be possible to get an estimated year of this car from the photo?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT Cruiser no name 2.jpg (20.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 27 Jun 2015, 10:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruise color identification

Purple 2001-2003
dalandon likes this.

-2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT
-Patriot Blue, Bright Silver Metallic rear spoiler, billet grille, 17" chrome wheels, hyperground cable, Spectre short ram CAI
-119,000 miles and counting ...
Old 28 Jun 2015, 11:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You can see the rear bumper is unpainted - that makes it an '01 - '03.
My color guess? Cranberry.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Jun 2015, 12:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
You can see the rear bumper is unpainted - that makes it an '01 - '03.
My color guess? Cranberry.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 04:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the information. The wheels look black in the image. Is it possible to put a 10 second video of this car, rolling through the drive, on this forum? Hoping to get a better description of the wheels.
Old 29 Jun 2015, 05:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy7224 View Post
Is it possible to put a 10 second video of this car, rolling through the drive, on this forum? Hoping to get a better description of the wheels.
I can't tell you how to do it but yes, if you can get it into a format like U-tube or some other video, then place it into the reply box, we should all be able to see it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 03:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Working on the video.
Do all of the 01, 02 and 03 models have gray front and rear bumpers?
Old 30 Jun 2015, 04:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy7224 View Post
Working on the video.
Do all of the 01, 02 and 03 models have gray front and rear bumpers?
On the 2001 and 2002 models, all bumpers are gray except for the Dream Cruiser which only came in gold. On the 2003, the base model retained the gray bumpers while the Limited, Touring and GT (including Dream Cruiser 2) had painted bumpers. From 2004 on, I believe all bumpers were painted.

If the PT in the photo had the original wheels, we might be able to narrow it down to the year model. But it doesn't. So 2001 thru 2003 is best we can guess at now. I believe the wheels are aftermarket and have a black finish with dull aluminum highlights. But I can't be sure.

I took your photo and lightened it best I could. My best guess on the paint color is also Cranberry (purple). But it is very hard to tell. I don't think it is red because the red on the tail light lenses show up as red. When I lightened the photo, the highlighted areas of the car body appeared kind of green. And green is a colorimetric opposite of purple. So a photo of a purple car in the dark might appear to have green highlights. The body of the car remained black but there were a few signs of purple. At least I think so. It's also possible the car has one of those aftermarket prismatic paint jobs.

Overall, this photo is not good enough to let us definitely determine the color. It would be great if you can upload the video to Youtube and then post a link here so we can view it.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 30 Jun 2015 at 04:45 pm.