PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
NON-TURBO, MANUAL transmission owners: fuel economy + fuel light?

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2015, 12:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default NON-TURBO, MANUAL transmission owners: fuel economy + fuel light?

I newer here and have a couple questions:

(1) I have myself a 2006 base PT with the 2.4 non-turbo and a 5 speed manual. I am curious as to what people get with the same "package" get (2.4L 5 speed, year doesn't matter) in terms of MPG? I seem to get anywhere from 18 to 22 city (depending on how much of a jacka$$ i drive like) and get 25+ highway, depending on speeds. My last couple of PURE highway trips (only city driving was less than 2 miles in non-stop-and-go traffic) were 29.1mpg over 200-ish miles and I just got 43.3mpg over a 79.5 mile trip with a fresh oil change (I could not believe how little gas I used, so I pumped until the pump shut off THREE times (the original shut off plus two extras), so I'd say it was pretty full, so the MPG is actually around 47.3, based on the original shut off at roughly 1.68 gallons). My mileage may increase even more as I have yet to do a tune-up (which has not been previously done, to my knowledge) and my '06 has about 153,4xx miles to date, and probably should even replace the transmission oil.
Making a special note on this: my A/C usage was minimal on about 86*F days (turn it on to get cold air, turn off for 10-15 minutes while the air gets gradually warmer, repeat) AND my speeds were kept at or below 60mph (usually I cruise around 57-59). Oh and that IS United States gallons, not imperial gallons.

(2) At (roughly) how many gallons does the fuel light usually come on? I've heard that it usually comes on around 1.5 gallons remaining (roughly 30 city miles until empty), but mine does not come on until it is almost on the E (about 1/16 from E); however, my fuel gauge also show a good 1/8 of an inch above the full LINE, even when only filled until the original pump shut-off. I have noticed that from the gas light coming on (based on my fuel gauge): to 1/4 tank is ony about 1.7 gallons, to half is roughly 3 to 5 gallons, but filling full is around 12 to 13 gallons. I also have noticed that my gauge tends to stick on full until 110-120 miles (CITY mileage) but then starts to drop fairly fast (gas light comes on roughly 260 miles). Could it just be my gauge is just a bit wacko or are the PT fuel gauges not that accurate at all?

(3) What oil and what weight do you guys use? I tend to use 10W-30 Castrol GTX (I used 10W-30 in all my cars regardless of what is recommended, so I don't have to change viscosities with the seasons), but this time I took it into a shop which gave me the called-for 5W-30 using Valvoline.

(4) What spark plugs do you guys recommend? I'm looking to do a tune-up by September at the latest and just wondering what I should go for. Also, are the iridium plugs worth the extra money or they based purely on hype?
Old 30 Jun 2015, 05:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: NON-TURBO, MANUAL transmission owners: fuel economy + fuel light?

Welcome to the forum. Don't have time to answer all your question as I'm getting ready to go out on patrol with the Sheriff's Office. Just a quick word on your question of the Low Fuel light. A word of caution: The fuel pump located inside the bottom of the fuel tank is both lubricated and cooled by the fuel itself. Running the tank down to where the Low Fuel light comes on can do damage to that fuel pump. This was passed on to the forum by a mechanic on the forum that had his own shop and had replaced numerous pumps becuase of the low fuel condition. Try not to do it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 06:58 am
Veteran Cruiser

Gas Light: GAS LIGHT????

Also, I'm not sure your getting the mileage you think you are...
According to my UltraGauge I get an average of 21.6 MPG, fill ups are just over 300-312 miles a tank.

This pic I was at 21.3
IMG_20150614_091109.jpg

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 30 Jun 2015, 08:53 am
Fanatic Cruiser

My 01 5 speed gets about 26-27 highway
The 05 turbo auto about the same...24-26 highway...
Never averaged the mileage but 21 sounds about right...

Old 30 Jun 2015, 09:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Someone call Guinness, we have a PT with a world record reported MPG.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 30 Jun 2015, 10:24 am
Veteran Cruiser

there's no way a pt cruiser gets 47mpg. take that BS over to the ecomodder forum. also quit moping along at 57mph on highways. it annoys the rest of us that actually need to get somewhere.
Chip18sw and LionPT like this.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 04:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
there's no way a pt cruiser gets 47mpg. take that BS over to the ecomodder forum. also quit moping along at 57mph on highways. it annoys the rest of us that actually need to get somewhere.
You'd be surprised how much just a little coasting in neutral can do. If you can find a way to coast a distance (usually downhill) or coast short distances numerous times, even a Chevy with a 454 V8 can knock out close, if not more than 30 MPG (compared to the common 12-16 highway). I have gone off-roading through the mountains with my friend in his truck. He manages about 15-16 city and around 19-21 highway; however, by throwing his truck in neutral while coasting down the mountain, we went almost 60 miles with very little gas usage. The whole trip, off roading about 80 miles and then taking the highways back to his lake cabin (about 60 miles), had barely touched his gas.

Also, don't judge me for going 60MPH in the 50-55 zone. Even at 57, I'm still above the limit (and nobody felt the need to pass even in the 2 lane 1 way or via the passing zones, so why bother speeding up?). Oh, and sorry for NOT WANTING TO get 25mpg because other people want to fly down the highway ripping 70+ MPH in the 55 - you could do something called "pass me;" it's a fairly common method of getting past us "mopers."

Also, it's not even really a trip to base mileage off of, I'd be more inclined to check it over a 120-150 mile or greater trip to get real world results.

Even better, the 1990s Subaru Forestors weighed the virtually the same weight, virtually the same or slightly worse aerodynamics (because of the box shape of the car), and were rated at the same 21/27 mpg (respectively); yet, most of the these cars can knock out mid to high 30s (and in some cases 40), so why can't ours? In fact, in terms of aerodynamics, the PT Cruiser had the same coefficient of drag as the Forestor (pre-2002) with a Cd of .40 and the Forester was only slightly more aerodynamic with a Cd of .38 during the 2009 to 2013 years. They can easily knock mid 30s and have some reported cases of 40-50 (usually with hypermiling); so why can't ours if we take proper "precautions" (i.e. coasting in neutral for several miles and/or hypermiling)?

I drove to the same station to fill up and have both receipts (pre and post trip) and I can show you the exact route I took on a map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
A word of caution: The fuel pump located inside the bottom of the fuel tank is both lubricated and cooled by the fuel itself. Running the tank down to where the Low Fuel light comes on can do damage to that fuel pump. This was passed on to the forum by a mechanic on the forum that had his own shop and had replaced numerous pumps becuase of the low fuel condition. Try not to do it.
I know, but I usually don't even let it slip past 1/4 tank unless I don't have any money for gas (which is when it usually dips to the fuel light).
Old 30 Jun 2015, 05:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

I get awesome gas mileage going down the hill by the lake....atleast 100mpg but unfortunately its only a few miles...I haven't ccalculated milage lately and I haven't got an ultra guage yet... my software don't calculate mileage...most cars getting supper high gas mileage suck... my geo metro convertible kicked ass but scary on highway...3 banger..basically a go cart..driving it back from el cajon at night next to 18 wheelers was intimidating.,,,,.the adrenaline kept me awake after a day working, then off to auto school cuyamaca comm colledge...
Dude13450 likes this.

Last edited by 3rcruiser; 30 Jun 2015 at 05:58 pm.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 06:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Dude13450 there is more going on why the MPG you claim can realistically happen with a PT Cruiser NA OEM 2.4. Even coasting or popping it up into neutral. Unless you forgot to mention that you have a secret PCM handheld OBDII access tuning tool that you changed some global OEM calibrations.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 30 Jun 2015, 07:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I can't believe folks are arguing over this thread.

ANY car can get great fuel mileage for short distances under the write conditions. Our Chrysler 300S shows real-time mileage, not a tank level mileage average. Sometime while going down mountains we may get over 60 mpg for many miles of downhill driving. And even on flat ground, if we drive around 50 mph, we get about 40 on the highway. But overall, mileage is around 21 to 25 mpg depending on whose driving. My wife has a lead foot.

So it's not unreasonable for someone to get in the 40 mpg range in a PT for a short distance or even a longer distance under special conditions. With the exception of the climb over Crowley's Ridge (ancient alien space runway according to Erich von Däniken), the I-40 run of over 100 miles from Little Rock to Memphis is pretty well all downhill. With a tailwind, you can get amazing fuel mileage sometimes. And you can get proportionately crappy fuel mileage on the way back.