Advertisements
Noise from back of car

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Vlefaive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2015, 07:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Noise from back of car

My wife's 2001 PT 2.0L petrol LE auto has, what can only be described as a sort of tin whistle noise, every now and again from somewhere to the rear of the car. It has been there for probably 2 -3 years but is now driving her to distraction! We have done the usual, check for kids toys or maybe key finder units but nothing. It has to be in the car build somewhere.

So, as you drive along you will here a feint toot toot just like from a cheap tin whistle, it will then be a few minutes or maybe only a few seconds before you can hear it again.

the only thing I can think of is the low pressure fuel pump which I believe is fitted in to the tank. I have not gone underneath to check this out yet. has anyone else had this? If it were on my PT I would live with the noise and just turn the radio up. However if I have to replace it can it be done in situ?

The other thing is, I have just seen a drawing that shows the tank and I see there is a fuel filter attached which I have never replaced, what sort of mileage should this be changed at?

As always, thanks in advance for your help.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 07:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Noise from back of car

Make sure you are not just hearing this when you go over bumps or potholes in the road.

The 2001/2002 PT Cruisers are notorious for having a squeak from the two bushings that attach the rear stay bar to the rear axle. This might sound like a chirp. I have not heard it described as a whistle. But under the right conditions, it might.

The fix is to replace these two bushings. But applying grease or lubricant can give temporary relief. It's worth checking.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 09:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Yeah I get the weird toots in the back of the car too. Somehow it's only when I'm transporting the mother-in-law to bingo though
Jassy and Handy_Cruiser like this.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 09:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You may want to get another opinion from someone riding in the PT with you what they hear and from where.

Customers always tell me they hear a noise from a specific area that ends up in the complete other end of the vehicle.

Generally if it were bushings the noise would get worse with time. But as you said the noise has been happening for the last 2-3 years. I would look for normal mechanical sound produced by the movement of suspension or drive train parts or the sound of the fuel pump?

Naturally the rear sway bar axle bushing on high mileage or well worn PT Cruisers may make noise from the sway bar bushings action of movement because they only had the rear sway bars on PT From 2000-mid 2002. From mid 2002 and new PT Cruisers the rear sway bar was eliminated as a factory installed item.

I guess some responces, the impilcation based on aquired experence bouncing up and down on junk yard PT's.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 30 Jun 2015 at 09:38 am.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 10:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
Yeah I get the weird toots in the back of the car too. Somehow it's only when I'm transporting the mother-in-law to bingo though
Yes. I think we experience lots of PT flatulence on this forum.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 11:27 am
Cool Cruiser

I was told before it can be a sign the rear brake discs need replacing

Old 30 Jun 2015, 01:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks guys, I did really LOL regarding the mother in law.

As for the bushings, they have all been replaced and the sound does not get better or worse on a bumpy or smooth road. I will get someone in the back with some good ears to have a listen though.
Old 30 Jun 2015, 03:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteclaw View Post
I was told before it can be a sign the rear brake discs need replacing
Well, maybe not discs need replacing, but if a pad "drags" a little bit, it can chirp.
Do have someone ride in the back, maybe lower the rear windows and have them stick their head out and listen at low speed...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Jun 2015, 03:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Well, maybe not discs need replacing, but if a pad "drags" a little bit, it can chirp.
Do have someone ride in the back, maybe lower the rear windows and have them stick their head out and listen at low speed...
Just make sure that you use caution if you do this on a 2 lane road...someone in the other lane may be doing the same thing...and you could have a "head on head"collision!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN