PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Quick Question - Is the PT Ignition Coil Filled with Oil?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2015, 09:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Quick Question - Is the PT Ignition Coil Filled with Oil?

Can't really find anything definitive online on this. I suspect this is a dry coil. But I cannot confirm it. Mine has oil dripping from it.

During my latest Handy project, I removed my coil and it was dripping oil and there was even oil in the plug. But there was no oil around it anywhere. I routinely clean my engine. So it's possible oil from some past event got beneath it into the bolt holes. But there's no real mechanism I can see for oil to get into the plug. Unlike some of the other electrical plugs, the one to the coil has no plastic loom around it where oil from another leaking item could travel as sometimes happens. But it could have just seeped into the plug and been traped there when the engine was being cleaned, I guess.

Either way, it's not a bad thing. I've been looking for an excuse to buy a performance coil anyway. So if it is leaking oil, my wallet will be lighter, but I'll be happy.

PS: I may just buy a new performance coil anyway, just because. But it would still be good to know. I'll feel more justified if I know my coil is actually leaking.
Old 02 Jul 2015, 09:58 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Quick Question - Is the PT Ignition Coil Filled with Oil?

I don't know for sure either, but I believe they are epoxy core coils as opposed to an oil core. But, just tell yourself it is oil leaking and buy a new one! lol It will look nice and go along with your other mods!
Old 02 Jul 2015, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

NO!

The Mitsubishi style coils used are Transformers and are not oil cooled.

There is a thermal epoxy that seals the 2 separate transformers (coils) for protection from their operating environment in the case housing.

There is actually lots of information about these on the internet.

I do not recommend a Screaming Demon Coil.

But a good performance replacement is ACCEL or my choice MSD.

Their output is the same as OE only better quality components than OE.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 02 Jul 2015 at 12:00 pm.
Old 02 Jul 2015, 04:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
NO!

The Mitsubishi style coils used are Transformers and are not oil cooled....
Thanks! That's certainly definitive. And yes, I've read your opinion on these before. Ironically, my old cheap standby brand, "Wells" is now about the same price as an MSD. Oh how times have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
I don't know for sure either, but I believe they are epoxy core coils as opposed to an oil core. But, just tell yourself it is oil leaking and buy a new one! lol It will look nice and go along with your other mods!
Yeah I know, but Nitro had to go and give a real answer. That's making it hard for me to keep believing that it's leaking oil. If that stupid intake manifold wasn't covering it up, I think I'd just call disbelief and by the MSD anyway. But in reality, it ain't gonna show unless somebodies looking really hard. Looks like I'm going to degrease and reused the original. It sucks being pragmatic.

PS: Things are still moving ahead at a good pace. Here's couple more teaser shots.

myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 02 Jul 2015 at 04:16 pm.
Old 02 Jul 2015, 04:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I was a MSD Dealer as well an authorized warranty vendor for them when I had my Performance parts shop.

I tested dozens of them and also ran Oscilloscope data on OE as well all the top three coils of that type.

Frankly I was surprised you asked considering there has never been a coil of that shape that was oil cooled ever manufactured that I am aware of?
And most oil cooled coil weer on there way out when points were being replaced with electronic modules and such.

There is a long technical explanation why an oil cooled coil less efficient than a transformer type coil. But this is a PT Cruiser from and it doesn't matter.

When I said that the internet has lots of information I was referring to many other forums that have hashed out the stock vs Performance coils for years.

Just a suggestion but as long as you are so far into the PT you may want to replace the 3rd and hardest to get to motor mount. Even if it is still in good condition now it is still old and if it does go bad you will wish you had done it now!

I changed one on a customers PT and the only one I will ever do again will be mine. You will understand when you see how it must come out!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Jul 2015, 05:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Todd you should start a new thread on your PT "madness" aka Handy How To project you are doing?

Here is a go why you should. This thread was started with a simple question that got answered.

If anyone responds at this point with other then a "NO" to your question in the first opening thread then there will be follow up responses and more responses after that that will be the tiresome debate often with second hand information and less the variable facts on the worth of coils OE or other wise. This thread will quickly be another casualty of the "forum coil wars" that have gone on since around 2003 on various forums, PT Cruiser and other vehicle forum platforms all over the world.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 02 Jul 2015 at 05:02 pm.
Old 02 Jul 2015, 05:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

my coil was filled with power steering fluid.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 02 Jul 2015, 09:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

my screemin demon been working fine all these years..no issues
Old 02 Jul 2015, 10:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Like I said here we go ....

3rcruiser I read when you got yours from a response on a thread a couple months or more ago. So please respond with your date you purchased it and better the date on the case. What you more then likely have is a post production unit or second generation production when they finally changed there manufacture of their product and corrected flaws of years of 'BAD" quality and high rate of failure coils. Under the name "Screaming" Demon. This would be anything manufactured by them prior to production year 2011.

I think I may have even given SD a neutral response because it was you that posted the same thing about it previously on this forum.

IMHO based on knowing much about these SD coils I would still advise against getting one. Mainly you must deal with the vendors and not direct which means each suppliers generally has their own guidelines for warranty even though it appears to be a manufactures warranty. And if you mentioned that it was used in an application that a TURBO CHARGER was used I am sure it voided the warranty?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 03 Jul 2015, 12:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Todd you should start a new thread on your PT "madness" aka Handy How To project you are doing?(
Yes Lynn. These are only teasers. I've already stated that there we be a full "Handy" thread on all this once I'm finished. As the title of this thread suggests, this was just to answer a quick question.

I'm three quarters finished at this point. Tomorrow is the "put back" phase. If it doesn't rain, I should finish except for a few "extras" I ordered on line that may not arrive until next week. I've got to quit playing around and just her done.

Now, to the coil wars. That's pretty boring. Instead with should talk spark plugs for the turbo. I've read up on the issue with using platinum plugs. But it seems the iridium plugs are okay. This is odd since the two metals have very similar physical properties. I suggest that the problem isn't really with true platinum plugs that use solid platinum wire as electrodes, but is instead with the plugs that use a wire that has been plated with platinum. And since most folks don't know the difference, they just assumed it was all platinum plugs. Folks don't have this problem with iridium because those plugs are actually mostly a solid alloy of rhodium and iridium. They should really be called rhodium plugs. But iridium sounds much cooler since some iridium isotopes are radioactive.

I don't really have a dog in this fight one way or another. I just figured this is something more interesting to fight about. For me, I used NKG V-plugs because they are still made in Japan. And we all know stuff made in Japan is way better.
myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Jul 2015 at 01:00 am.