PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Electrical Problems

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2015, 11:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 Electrical Problems

It seems I'm having a few problems with my daughter's 2006 PT Cruiser Limited Auto with under $75K miles.

She got the car in March, and almost immediately (after the sunroof incident, another story) called me from college (2 hours away) saying her left headlight was burnt out. I told her not to drive it at night - problem solved.

When I had a chance to drive down there, I picked up a new set of lamps. Replaced the left and it still wouldn't work. The car had been in an accident on the left side before she got it, and I found a couple crimp butt connectors on both headlight wires. I tried to re-crimp with new connectors, but couldn't get enough access with the wheel still mounted on an O'Reilly's parking lot.

The next time she came home I pulled the left wheel off, soldered and heat shrinked (shranked?) the wires, and it still didn't work.

I had read in the forums here about a TIPM problem causing this condition, so I disconnected the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes. When I hooked it back up still had the same problem. I disconnected the negative battery cable again, and then reseated every connector in the bottom of the TIPM a couple times. When I hooked it back up same problem. I tried disconnecting the negative cable one more time, pumped the brake pedal several times, and then let it sit for over an hour. When I reconnected the negative cable the left headlight worked!

Fast forward to Memorial Day in May.

She went out to drive the car, and the key fob unlocked the car and headlights came on, but the car wouldn't start. It wouldn't even attempt to turn over. The display that says "Chrysler" along with the other display with mileage, etc. didn't light up when the door was opened. The key fob or door switch also wouldn't lock the doors. It was as if there was no power at all. The only thing that worked when the key was turned fully to start was a blower motor somewhere was running.

I thought maybe the battery was already bad, though I had purchased a new Interstate battery right after she got it. I put my slow charger on it just in case, and within a few minutes it was up to a full charge so that didn't appear to be the problem.

I finally disconnected the negative battery cable, pumped the brake pedal a few times and let it sit. After about 30 minutes hooked it back up and it started right up like nothing had ever happened - plus the left headlight still worked.

Today, a little over a month later, she had the same problem with no power. I just unhooked the negative cable for about a minute, reconnected it and it started right up.

So, am I wrong in thinking I just need to replace the TIPM?

I was thinking I'd get the timing belt replaced before she went back to school in August, but I also don't want her stranded because of electrical problems.

Sorry for the long post...

David
Old 03 Jul 2015, 01:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Electrical Problems

The 2006 PT Cruisers had the most defective TIPM's.

Rockauto September 2012 newsletter has this;
"The low beam headlights were not working on the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser. It just needed a couple of $7 headlamp bulbs? No, the PT Cruiser has a part called a Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) which is a combination fuse block and control module (computer) for the electrical system. It is sensitive to voltage spikes and susceptible to internal corrosion. The PT Cruiser with the headlight problem required a $1000 trip to a car dealer for installation of a new TIPM.
...People that bought new, 2006 to 2009 PT Cruisers had no way of knowing that their car included a troublesome piece called a TIPM. It has always been nearly impossible to predict problems like these. Even car models built seemingly unchanged for many years occasionally have parts modified or supplied by new manufacturers.

Are you getting engine trouble code P0688?

No start. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will not ground the Automatic Shut-Down Relay (ASD) relay. Code P0688 is stored....
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.4L, Vin B
Test Details... Confirmed Fix Details...

Tests/Procedures: 1. Ground the control wire from the ASD relay at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) connector. Also try test the ASD relay operation with the ATM tests found in a compatible scan tool. 2. If the...

17 Confirmed fixes

Automatic Shutdown (ASD) Relay
Automatic Shutdown (ASD) Relay Wiring
Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor
Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

8 - Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
2 - Fuse #19
1 - Fuse #32
1 - Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM)
1 - Fuse #18, Fuse Box Terminals
1 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Connector, Ignition Coil Assembly Connector
1 - Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor
1 - Automatic Shutdown (ASD) Relay
1 - Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Wiring
Old 03 Jul 2015, 08:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Currently no codes. I didn't try with my reader when it didn't have power.
Old 03 Jul 2015, 10:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If your PT Cruiser is not starting and you are not getting any codes you might have a loss of communication in your electrical system.

You might want to check all the ground wires especially the ones going to the drivers fender.
Old 04 Jul 2015, 02:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ground on driver's side fender looks good. Everything was tight, connected, no corrosion, etc.
Old 04 Jul 2015, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

With no engine trouble codes I would check the wiring and the connector on the crankshaft sensor. I would physically check the wiring all the way to the PCM. Wiggle the wire with the ohm meter on it making sure it has continuity.
Old 04 Jul 2015, 03:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videomagician View Post
Ground on driver's side fender looks good. Everything was tight, connected, no corrosion, etc.
Did you separate the wires going to the fender to make sure they are making contact? Many members have found it looks good on the outside but after taking it apart they found major corrosion inside.
JoeX likes this.
Old 09 Jul 2015, 10:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This afternoon I had a chance to separate the ground wires on the fender looking for corrosion - there wasn't any. I didn't have enough time to try any of the other suggestions.

Unfortunately, I just received a call from daughter say now neither low beams are working, but on bright all the lights are working. This is getting old...
Old 10 Jul 2015, 12:15 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videomagician View Post
This afternoon I had a chance to separate the ground wires on the fender looking for corrosion - there wasn't any. I didn't have enough time to try any of the other suggestions.

Unfortunately, I just received a call from daughter say now neither low beams are working, but on bright all the lights are working. This is getting old...
WHen I bought my 06 the low beams were not working, had to replace the TIPM (Fuse box) sits just behind the battery. Got it from Rockauto.

It had circuit boards layered in it and if it gets wet corrosion caused by moisture will cause problems.
Once you get it loose you can turn it over and check the connectors for burned wires, fairly easy to change, all the connectors are keyed so you cannot do it wrong.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 10 Jul 2015, 12:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have not done this to relearn a TIPM. The procedure below is after installing a new TIPM. I don't know if this would work with a TIPM already installed.

I would suggest disconnecting the ground battery cable, step on the brakes a few times, and then put the battery cable back on.

Then insert the ignition key and turn it to the "RUN" position and wait twelve seconds. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position and wait twelve seconds. Turn the ignition key back to the "ON" position and verify proper vehicle
systems operation.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/digita...nt/TIPM_IS.PDF