Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No electrical power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2015, 04:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default No electrical power

I have an 06 touring, non turbo auto with 110k miles on it.

Was driving the car around for about a half hour. Had no issues driving around. Got home and was just sitting there when the car just shut off on me. Had the radio on and that died. Tried to start it up and nothing. Dash lights don't come on, fan, radio, wipers, and the brake lights don't come on when I press the pedal.

Only issue I noticed on the car is the radio didn't seem to come on all the time when I started the car. 90% of the time it would but simple shutting off the car and turning it back on would normally "fix" that issue when it didn't.

The battery is maybe 3 months old and is charged. About a month ago needed a new starter and I got new battery cables replaced then also. They did load tests and everything checked out fine. I checked all the fuses today and they checked out.

Read somewhere that disconnecting the battery for a few may solve this for a short time. So enough to get my windows up. Also to wiggle the cables to the tipm to check that is connected properly. Will do this as soon as I post this.

So looking for what my next steps will be.
Old 03 Jul 2015, 04:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: No electrical power

I would suggest you check your ignition switch actuator pin in the ignition switch assembly.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 03 Jul 2015 at 04:33 pm.
Old 03 Jul 2015, 05:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok so I went back to wiggle some cables and maybe disconnect the battery for a possible quick fix. What I found was that the positive cable from under the fuse box isn't connected to the battery.

The positive cable seems to just goes from the battery to the starter. Will follow it better when I go back out there. Am little dumbfounded by this. How is the able to run all this time like that? Any possible damage because of this? So would it be OK to just connect this to battery?

I uploaded a file of the picture and also uploaded it to my profile just in case it doesn't work.

Will look into that pin and see what if anything happens with that. All this under the Arizona sun. Gotta love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010145.jpg (84.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Rami76; 03 Jul 2015 at 05:06 pm.
Old 03 Jul 2015, 05:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm new to working on my own car so I don't feel that stupid. I guess that cable must of came off of the positive cable clap. It wasn't loose or anything so not sure how it hung on this entire time.

But it didn't feel right it just hanging there and since it matched up, I just clamped it on again and bingo all was well in the world. I'm just glad I was finally able to figure something out.

This particular issue resolved.

But any advice on that radio not always working on start up would be nice also.

Last edited by Rami76; 03 Jul 2015 at 05:41 pm.
Old 04 Jul 2015, 09:50 am
Cool Cruiser

One plus lead goes to the starter the other goes to the bottom of the TIPM (fuse block).
Old 04 Jul 2015, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rami76 View Post
I have an 06 touring, non turbo auto with 110k miles on it.

Was driving the car around for about a half hour. Had no issues driving around. Got home and was just sitting there when the car just shut off on me. Had the radio on and that died. Tried to start it up and nothing. Dash lights don't come on, fan, radio, wipers, and the brake lights don't come on when I press the pedal.

Only issue I noticed on the car is the radio didn't seem to come on all the time when I started the car. 90% of the time it would but simple shutting off the car and turning it back on would normally "fix" that issue when it didn't.

The battery is maybe 3 months old and is charged. About a month ago needed a new starter and I got new battery cables replaced then also. They did load tests and everything checked out fine. I checked all the fuses today and they checked out.

Read somewhere that disconnecting the battery for a few may solve this for a short time. So enough to get my windows up. Also to wiggle the cables to the tipm to check that is connected properly. Will do this as soon as I post this.

So looking for what my next steps will be.
I would suggest that if you are going to have someone else repair your PT Cruiser to physically look at the repair that is going to be done before and after its done if its not internal. This way at least you know its being installed the same way it was taken out. Get more involved in how the PT Cruiser works and you can start working on the PT Cruiser yourself with all the great help on this forum.