Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 overheating problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jul 2015, 04:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 overheating problems

Ok just got the car in. Its a 2.4 with auto trans 108K on the clock one owner elderly lady 's car. She has passed away and the car sat about six months to a year prior to me getting the car. Car starts and idles goes up to normal temp until you start driving then it overheats.
We have checked the fluid level and added as necessary, There is no coolant loss out exhaust or into the oil. I do not see a leak on the block yet.
All fuses appear good and we have removed and replaced relays for the fan
We have found that the fan does not kick on. We can jump out the fan to get it to cool down but that is just a band aid solution to it.
Years back I had a caravan that had a similar issue and there was a sensor on the block that would sense temperature and turn on the fan ( 89 4 cyl model) does the PT have a similar kind of thing and if so where? Is there a part of the wiring harness known for corrosion where I may be able to bypass a connector or a ground that may be causing this condition?
Old 04 Jul 2015, 05:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 overheating problems

Before I start with the suggestions I would recommend that anytime you have a problem and you start replacing parts please put the original part back if it doesn't solve the problem. If you don't you may not know if the new part is good or bad. When you do this you are making the diagnosis harder to complete.

I would start with making sure the radiator fan circuit is good. Remove the low speed radiator fan relay and then start the engine. See if the radiator fan starts up automatically.

When you were jumping the fan did you jump both the low and high speeds on the radiator fan to see if both works?

When the engine is cold and you turn on the A/C does the radiator fan come on?

The PT Cruiser has the ECT that senses the temperature and communicates with the PCM and its mounted close to the thermostat. I would recommend making sure the radiator fan circuit is okay first before checking the ECT.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 04 Jul 2015 at 05:30 pm.
Old 04 Jul 2015, 07:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

actually in messing with it it appears that we have a high fan situation but when we try to jump out the low fan the thing will click a relay but no fan. Also now we have two codes popping up one is P1490 which is the low speed fan and 1495 some kind of a leak detection pump pressure switch problem the car is also now when we drove it stuck in second gear over 40 it bucks,, I don't know if our messing around fried something or what but im thinking that at least part of the issue is the fan motor
Old 04 Jul 2015, 08:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyBob View Post
actually in messing with it it appears that we have a high fan situation but when we try to jump out the low fan the thing will click a relay but no fan. Also now we have two codes popping up one is P1490 which is the low speed fan and 1495 some kind of a leak detection pump pressure switch problem the car is also now when we drove it stuck in second gear over 40 it bucks,, I don't know if our messing around fried something or what but im thinking that at least part of the issue is the fan motor
I would recommend fixing the engine trouble codes first and then start diagnosing the bucking problem. Fix what the PT Cruiser is telling you to fix and then take it from there.