PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car inspections and costs.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2015, 12:28 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Car inspections and costs.

On this forum we have guys and a few girls from different places around the world.
What is your opinion about car inspection (done by the state/government, not the police) in your states/countries?

Here in Sweden we have an annual car inspection that takes about 35 minutes, were they check vin numbers, obd codes(looking for malfunction in the smog regulation system), brakes, bushings, joints, tyres and so on.
You get what you are paying for, it is not a complete control of the car but
you have to do this every year otherwise you canīt drive around in your car legally. Here in Sweden it cost (conv. to dollars according to forex exchange) 47 dollars for this "inspection".
Then upon that we have to pay a annual fee to the state every year the car is in traffic, and this year the GT cost me 306 dollars (year based). You get some of your money back if you take the car off the road for the winter for example.
I also pay insures fee every month of 46 dollars.

So like I said before what are your opinions about these inspections and fees
and how is it done in your states/counties? And what is included in the tests? How much does it cost to drive around in your PTīs?

2004 GT 5-speed ,93 tune, 3"-2,5" exhaust, KN air intake, KW Coilovers, Wilwood BBK and some other mods here and there.
Old 05 Jul 2015, 01:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Car inspections and costs.

Here in North Carolina in my county the annual state inspection is $30. They don't really look at anything in depth, just a quick once over that all the lights work, the emissions equipment is in place and the tires look OK. Then they use the OBDII port and connect the car to the state computer to check that everything is functioning within spec. All told it's about a 10-15 minute process.

We pay yearly property tax on the vehicle that is based on the value of the vehicle determined by the state and a registration fee. My PT is gonna cost $46.06 this year, $33 for the registration and $13.02 property tax.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 05 Jul 2015, 01:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Here in Wisconsin the emissions test is free. The nice thing is the DMV did away with it's emissions stations and pays car repair places to do what they used to do. Pretty much pick and choose where to take your car with no waiting.

And did I mention it's free?
Old 05 Jul 2015, 01:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

here in Illinois, there is no inspections, just emissions testing. the emissions testing only is for 1996 and newer vehicles. so i bought a 1992 ford and now i never have to deal with any inspection or testing ever again. i can modify my car any way i please and it's great.
Old 05 Jul 2015, 03:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Pennsylvania has a yearly registration fee, (Like all other states)
Antique plates are a one time- forever with no emission or inspection,
A yearly emission test by mechanics that have an emission machine connected to the state. We also have a yearly safety inspection.
Taxi and some others are twice a year.
Checked are tires, brakes, glass, lights, parking brake, wipers, rust into passenger compartment, turn signals, horn, doors opening and closing.

Emission and Safety inspection is about $70 plus parts and labor if anything is required.

Monthly liability ins is about $40 a month

Some states also check that you have paid your real estate tax before you get the car inspected for another year.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 05 Jul 2015, 06:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
Here in North Carolina in my county the annual state inspection is $30. They don't really look at anything in depth, just a quick once over that all the lights work, the emissions equipment is in place and the tires look OK. Then they use the OBDII port and connect the car to the state computer to check that everything is functioning within spec. All told it's about a 10-15 minute process.

We pay yearly property tax on the vehicle that is based on the value of the vehicle determined by the state and a registration fee. My PT is gonna cost $46.06 this year, $33 for the registration and $13.02 property tax.
Interesting, I'm in Johnston County and between taxes and all it was about $100.
Old 05 Jul 2015, 06:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittey5656 View Post
Interesting, I'm in Johnston County and between taxes and all it was about $100.
what year is your car? If it is newer than my '01 it's value should be higher. Also maybe JoCo property taxes are higher compared to Wake Co?

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 05 Jul 2015, 07:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mideskar View Post
On this forum we have guys and a few girls from different places around the world.
What is your opinion about car inspection (done by the state/government, not the police) in your states/countries?.....

.....Then upon that we have to pay a annual fee to the state every year the car is in traffic, and this year the GT cost me 306 dollars (year based). You get some of your money back if you take the car off the road for the winter for example.
I also pay insures fee every month of 46 dollars.

So like I said before what are your opinions about these inspections and fees
and how is it done in your states/counties? And what is included in the tests? How much does it cost to drive around in your PTīs?
I am from the US. I live in the great sovereign state of Arkansas. This is where former US President Bill Clinton is from. It's a relatively small and very rural state. The politics are very conservative but also very "populist" meaning that generally, our local leaders try do what is most popular among the people. We can also carry a gun with no permit as long as it is not concealed. If we want to conceal it, that takes an 8-hour class and a background check.

Here, there is no car inspection at all. And there is no smog test. Instead, our state police are allowed do random "vehicle safety inspections". So if a state trooper sees something on a vehicle that appears unsafe (or for any or no reason), they can stop the vehicle and perform a thorough inspection. This allows the police to stop any one at anytime. Believe it or not, that is very popular here. We like and respect our state troopers in Arkansas. Both my wife and I have cousins that are state troopers.

To license any vehicle, you only need the title signed over to you, proof that you paid your annual "personal property tax" and proof that you have liability insurance. You must also show that you paid a one-time 4% sales tax if you paid over $3,000 (I believe) for the car. Here's a break down of the cost for annual licensing of my PT in Arkansas.

* Annual personal property taxes for SEVEN vehicles,
furniture and belongings for a 2,000 s.f. home. - $800.00

*Annual cost of liability insurance w/uninsured motorist and medical - $260.00

* License plate fee for custom "Ducks Unlimited" license plate
and annual Duck Unlimited membership - $60.00 (standard annual license plate fee is $32.00)

If you break out the PT's part of the personal property tax as about $10 (based on value) the total comes to around $330.00 per year for license, insurance and taxes. Not too bad. It's great living in Arkansas.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Jul 2015 at 07:52 pm.
Old 05 Jul 2015, 08:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

we get screwed in cali think it was like 65 dollars last time I went but not sure... I just remember thinking this is too expensive..i am looking for a pre smog truck ...smog inspection dyno testing every other year

Last edited by 3rcruiser; 05 Jul 2015 at 08:08 pm.
Old 05 Jul 2015, 08:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

GA----$15