Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 2008ptcruzrtouring
  • 2 Post By 2008ptcruzrtouring
  • 2 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2015, 10:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Rattle can painting today!

I had my old 2004 PT base model remote laying around and it wasn't in the best of shape, and the pad(buttons) were VERY worn. So, I went to the junk yard (eBay is too basic for me) and hunted for 4 HOURS and finally found a remote with a newer pad in a 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS ... Oh the ways of the junk yard. Of course, I also got some other goodies along the way... And by "some" I mean A LOT lol. So I put aside the case from the other one, and put the new pad in the electronics and took the very small ring off he case.
After that, for those wanting to do this... This is what I did;

1). Get newspaper, and try to paint inside a garage on a windy day.

2). Get your can of rattle can paint (I used a satin silver plastic paint) clear coat is not needed, but use gloss if you want to use clear coat.

3). Spray your 3 coats of paint and wait 5-6mins between each. And if the paint looks like the letters will have paint dried over them, leave it and it will sink into the letters.

4). After your final coat has dried, bring indoors and set on a desk or something and let the paint cure for a day, to insure a secure bond between the plastic and the paint.

5). Put your remote together and enjoy your custom remote!
Here are some pics of my results; PLEASE let me know what u guys think!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.9 KB, 57 views)
buddyiramae likes this.
Old 05 Jul 2015, 10:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Rattle can painting today!

Another pic: it's silver because my 04 was silver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.3 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by 2008ptcruzrtouring; 06 Jul 2015 at 08:02 am.
Old 06 Jul 2015, 07:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

In the first pic, the edges of the remote don't look like they got an even coat of paint with the flat part. In the second pic, I can see you finger print where you picked it up before it dried.

Here's where I went to get a custom cover for my remote. I chose the camouflaged one on the lower left.

Brand New Chrysler Dodge Jeep 3 Button Remote Cover Case Rubber Silicone | eBay

Also the cover is made from a thin silicone to protect the case if dropped.
03TXPTGT and buddyiramae like this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 06 Jul 2015 at 07:25 am.
Old 06 Jul 2015, 08:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
In the first pic, the edges of the remote don't look like they got an even coat of paint with the flat part. In the second pic, I can see you finger print where you picked it up before it dried.

Here's where I went to get a custom cover for my remote. I chose the camouflaged one on the lower left.

Brand New Chrysler Dodge Jeep 3 Button Remote Cover Case Rubber Silicone | eBay

Also the cover is made from a thin silicone to protect the case if dropped.
I tried this, didn't like the "hole" instead of the long key ring thing. It always ripped and tore up. So I did this, and I realize it's not perfect, but that's what makes it unique, you can't mess up a "silicon key cover" to make it unique to your PT or other car. That's why I did this, not only to prove how easy it is, but how you can personalize it and if you mess it up, well, that's just a way of saying "this is MY key fob"! Know what I mean, Carey?
Old 06 Jul 2015, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008ptcruzrtouring View Post
That's why I did this, not only to prove how easy it is, but how you can personalize it and if you mess it up, well, that's just a way of saying "this is MY key fob"! Know what I mean, Carey?
Know what you mean. Guess I'm just that kind of person that, if I messed it up, I'd start all over till I got it right or let a professional do it, or buy it somewhere.

Like my old vanity cover. I could have sanded it down, taken my time and sprayed it, clear coated it and it would have been "alright". But I took it to the paint shop along with the upper strut bar and had them paint it Viper Red. They came out way better than I could have ever done it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jul 2015, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Know what you mean. Guess I'm just that kind of person that, if I messed it up, I'd start all over till I got it right or let a professional do it, or buy it somewhere.

Like my old vanity cover. I could have sanded it down, taken my time and sprayed it, clear coated it and it would have been "alright". But I took it to the paint shop along with the upper strut bar and had them paint it Viper Red. They came out way better than I could have ever done it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Jul 2015, 01:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Rattle can painting today!

Oh, Great!
Now the standard is Modding your remote!

(Just kidding!)

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 06 Jul 2015, 06:01 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Oh, Great!
Now the standard is Modding your remote!

(Just kidding!)
I made a mold of the one for my Lincoln. Waxed it 10x with turtlewax, and then pressed it into bondo. Popped it out, sprayed the mold with four coats of primer, wet sanded it, waxed that 10x. Then I smeared fiberglass resin in the mold, removed the wax, sanded, and smeared some on the remote case. Then I threw a piece of twill weave carbon fiber cloth and smashed it all together. Once removed from the mold I sprayed it with house of kolors clear coat until I got all the pinholes out, and then i wet sanded and polished it.

Still looked great when I got rid of the car. When I was smashing it into the carbon fiber and resin I had an "o. crap moment" as I started wondering if the carbon fiber was going to block the signal

I think I spent a week on the darn thing
Old 07 Jul 2015, 04:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i rattle canned my rims on july 5th. must have been a "great minds think alike" kinda day. unfortunately somehow i managed to forget to mask the valve stems.... twice

motorcraft Argent Silver with a gloss duplicolor rim paint clearcoat.

i did a pretty crappy job and i didn't really care. whatever the previous owner painted these with does not sand easily. after 2 minutes of starting to sand them i decided i'd rather buy new ones than put in the required effort. i suppose some jobs just aren't for me.

oh, and i only did the drivers side. that part i did plan. 2 last weekend, i'll do the other two this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (96.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by rob342; 07 Jul 2015 at 04:59 pm.