Advertisements
ABS sensor wire broken

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RickinPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2015, 09:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Brake sensor wire broken

Note the thread title says ABS sensor, but that was an assumption which is probably not valid.

I was working on a 2003 PT Cruiser, Touring Edition, non turbo, that was inherited and found that some kind of wheel sensor wires were broken at the connector to the struts (on both sides of the car) possibly from being extended too far. I should have taken a picture, but its easy to describe. It's not a clean cut, the bare wire threads are frayed where it tore apart from the generic loop crimp connector, which is still screwed into the strut bracket.

1) Not that it is that important, but I am trying to figure out how this happened. One idea is it was from an incompetent mechanic, but since its torn on on both wheels I was wondering if the worn out struts (which I just replaced) could have allowed the motion in the area so far that the wires were extended to the point where they snapped.

2) I know from a strut installation video this wire was said to be a brake or rotor sensor connector, but upon inspection this wire just attached with a screw through the loop to a hole in the strut bracket. It connects to the strut with a generic looped crimp connector, just like you would see used for a household electrical ground wire. I don't see it connecting to any sensor. I expected this wire to connect to a sensor near the wheel/strut, not just to terminate at the strut. I have a feeling something odd has been done here. Just looking for guidance from someone who knows how the wire is supposed to be connected and what its purpose is. I can solder on a new loop connector and connect it to the strut bracket, as it was probably before it tore off, but what good would that do if I don't see a sensor there?

Last edited by zigner; 06 Jul 2015 at 01:53 pm.
Old 06 Jul 2015, 02:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: ABS sensor wire broken

Have the same thing on my 01.
Noticed both are loose

Maybe a ground strap?

Old 06 Jul 2015, 03:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yep. Ground straps. Supposed to delay wheel bearing degradation.
Old 06 Jul 2015, 06:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Never fixed mine, didn't really care
Old 06 Jul 2015, 06:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

It's a ground wire. It broke because Chrysler used the wrong type of wire. Look at it, it's a heavy gauge wire with relatively thick strands, not the type of wire for a flex application. The heavy strands work-harden during flexing, fatigue and fail. For a flex application a fine strand wire should be used.

Mine have also broken. I repaired them a couple of times. I finally ended up replacing the wire with some test lead wire, which has many fine strands. This seems to be holding up.
Carl48 likes this.
Old 07 Jul 2015, 10:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your answers and comments. No wonder it looked like a ground strap... it is one! Never seen or heard of this before on the suspension of any car I've seen! Interesting!

Tags
abs sensor wire