PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Won't Start after PCM Replacement

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2015, 10:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Won't Start after PCM Replacement

I replaced my PCM Module on my 2001 PT the other day due to a P - 0601 error code. I was also having some Cruise Control issues but other than those the vehicle started and ran fine consistently. It only has about 72500 miles on it and seems to be in excellent condition. The new module was purchased from All Computer Resources in FL to whom I provided mileage and VIN.

After swapping out the PCM Module which was a total of 5 bolts (including the one to remove the battery hold down clamp), battery connections, (disconnected both) and the two PCM Plugs I attempted to start the vehicle. I cranked it two times and it seemed a bit rough & did not start. On the third attempt to start the vehicle nothing happened meaning the starter did not even engage.

After trying a few more time with no response I re-installed the original module and now the vehicle will not start with that module installed. The results are the same in that the starter will not even engage. So I have installed the new/replacement module again.

I have noted some posts here on the grounds being an issue which I will look at tonight, but I also noted when reassembling the vehicle the first time that there is a cable (About 12-18 inches in length ) attached to the battery terminals ( Positive and negative terminals ) with a 75 amp inline fuse by the battery and a two pin connector on the other end which I can not find a mating connector for. This cable looks like it is there to feed 12v ( + and - ) to some type of connector/option. It also has a "cap" which can be place on the end covering the connectors. I do not know what this is for and can not find the mating end but wanted to check and make sure it is not part of my problem. Since the car seemed to want to crank 2 times I suspect it is not but thought I would ask anyway. At this point it is connect to nothing.

Any other thoughts on things to look at would be greatly appreciated. Kinda strapped for cash at this point as I just bought a house so thanks in advance for any assistance that anyone can offer........
Old 08 Jul 2015, 06:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Won't Start after PCM Replacement

Having read through some other posts and done some troubleshooting I suspect the SKIM Module may have locked things down as jumping the relay contacts I can get the starter to engage and that eliminates a few things.

I also noted that the Red Security light stays lit when attempting to start the car. It does not flash, but rather it does stay lit which I assume means the SKIM Module is locked down/armed?? If someone could confirm that would be great. In many of the posts I read it is asked if that light is on, but I see few clear responses on this and as to whether it is good or bad or what steps should be taken next.

Assuming it is bad, is there a clear way to reset this or clear it. I am using the original two grey headed keys which have always worked so I am fairly certain that is not the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Old 08 Jul 2015, 06:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

The red light should go out when the SKIM is satisfied that the VIN stored in the module is the same as the VIN in the PCM, as well as verifying that the correct key has been used.

If you install the original PCM, and attempt to start the car, it should start. The SKIM will lock out the starter on the car if too many attempts are made to start the car where one of the 3 items does not 'match' (either pcm, key or module). It has been reported here and even in some manuals, that should the immobilizer be activated and the starter locked out, that one needs to key on and leave it for an hour to clear the code and reset itself before it will start again. Others have refuted this, and I have not tried it myself, but it is certainly worth a shot.
Old 15 Jul 2015, 08:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. Tried what you suggested but it did not help. I did find a blown fuse under the hood (Which I had checked earlier) which it appears the first PCM Module I put in popped. I discovered this because I ordered and ODB2 reader and it would not work at all due to no voltage at the connector. In addition, while this fuse was blown I could not read the codes with the Key Dance.

So now I was able to start the car but the engine runs very roughly (Very Very) and stalls most of the time when I take my foot off the gas. It does not settle down after driving for about 1-2 miles which I kinda read some folks referencing. I also noted that all of the gauges work intermittently (good when the car is running smoother, and dead when the car is running rougher). Also the dashboard lights come on and off at different points in time depending on how well the car is or is not running. I also noted that the ODB2 module seems to have some connection issues to the ECU or (I bought a blue tooth one to use with my phone) when the car is running rough suggesting maybe more voltage problems? Still not sure the new PCM is good but I will look a bit more tonight.

Any other suggestions or any insight on how far I should have to drive for things to settle down (assuming that is the issue which I am not sure about) would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 15 Jul 2015, 09:27 am
Senior Cruiser

First maybe you can give us some background? It may be helpful for us to help you. Did you just buy this car? What recent repairs has it had? How did you discover the 601 code?

Now, after replacing the fuse and the car is running roughly, is that with the old pcm or the new one?

These cars are very sensitive to voltage irregularities. It sounds like your battery may be super low or dead. Make sure it is charged up. When the battery is dead or shorted internally, it can make the car go haywire when you get it running. Make sure the battery is good and charged.
Old 15 Jul 2015, 10:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have owned the car for about 9 months and had no issues with it. My sister owned it before me and had it since new with no major issues. It has 71500 miles and was running great except two minor issues. First was occasionally the Cruise Control would engage and disengage by itself causing the car to jerk when driving. Quite annoying and not so safe. Second was the appearance of the P0601 a few weeks back which I discovered doing the key dance after noting the Engine light had come on.

I have replaced the PCM Module as noted above. Car running rough is with the 2nd new PCM Module. I may try my original or the first new one again tonight just to see what impact these have though it seems the first new one may have blown the fuse? I also replaced the battery (Voltage was stable but was below 12 volts) so the one in the car now is brand new. I have also ordered a new battery harness cable from Amazon (Mopar part) to eliminate corroded connectors etc and will install that as well.

I will be sure to post final findings (assuming I get to successful conclusions) and will continue to throw thought out and request for suggestions so we can all learn from my adventure.

Also as an FYI, I am not a mechanic but do much work on my own cars. I am also very skilled at troubleshooting as I have run repair centers (electronic equipment) for 30+ years. So I am generally looking for guidance, experience or a direction rather than significant hand holding. Any help is though graciously accepted. Thanks again!
Old 15 Jul 2015, 11:07 am
Veteran Cruiser

Common Problems That Trigger the P0601 Code
Lack of proper voltage to the PCM
Defective PCM memory module
Defective PCM ground circuit(s)
Defective PCM controlled output devices

Common Misdiagnoses
PCM is replaced when the root cause is improper voltage to the PCM
PCM is replaced when the root cause is defective PCM ground circuits

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 17 Jul 2015, 07:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

So, to keep everyone up to date my adventure replacing my PCM Module has progressed a bit. After receiving the second replacement module and determining it was not working well I went through the process of re installing each of the 3 modules I have on hand. My original and the two replacements.

I have absolutely confirmed that the first replacement module I received does blow fuses in the PDC. The second module I received will not settle down and continues to run rough regardless of what I do. So last I reinstalled my original module which would start fine and run a little rough, but it will continue to run though a bit roughly. Unfortunately after the PCM dance, my original module is now reporting a P0301, P0304, and a P0300 in addition to the intermittent P0601 which started my adventure. It is the one installed now while I await another replacement.

So my question for today is while replacement module 2 was installed I drove the car for a few miles while running extremely rough. Are the new codes simply likely to be a case of the plugs / wires are now shot? No a lot of cost to replace these if I do it myself(which I have done on many different cars, but access to these plugs looks a little tricky) though I have never done this on the PT? So any thoughts on whether replacing these is likely to correct these codes by itself?

Thanks in advance again for any help you can offer!
Old 17 Jul 2015, 08:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You need an OBDII Scan Tool to remove the engine trouble codes. Disconnecting the battery does not remove these codes.

I would recommend looking at getting your own PCM repaired if time permits if you are not going to buy a new one from the dealer. When you get a re-manufactured PCM from some other PT Cruiser you don't know what the original problem was when the PCM was turned it to be repaired. If you turn your own PCM in and get it back you know what to expect if it was not repaired correctly.
Old 17 Jul 2015, 08:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have an ODB2 tool that links to my android phone and I have cleared the codes. The P0300, P0301 and P0304 do come back after a bit of driving and the P0601 (my original issue) comes back intermittently. Also, though the car does run and does not stall I also have reduced power which is again why I suspect something with the plugs???