PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Missing VIN Sticker

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2015, 01:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Missing VIN Sticker

This is my first post. I just bought a 2001 PT Cruiser from a dealership and the VIN sticker in the drivers door opening is not there. It appears that the drivers door was replaced (paint on the inside of the door slightly different from the body). I bought the car in Pa, I am an NJ resident, will I have a problem when I go to register the car or when I go through inspection ? Can I get a replacement sticker ? The VIN number is on the tag in the windshield. I appreciate any help. I have already gotten good info from this site about the gas gauge on empty, Thanks again, Tony AKA Antiqueynot
Old 10 Jul 2015, 01:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Missing VIN Sticker

In every state I know of, the VIN on the dash is the one that matters. That's the one that police will often check. Here in Arkansas, as long as you have the title signed over to you, you would be good to go. And of course, the VIN is on that too.

Based on this, I could literally go to the DMV with the title from any other similar PT and get registration. And the only way I would be found out is if I get stopped by the police and they compare the VIN on my registration to the one on the dash. Of course, the VIN is on the firewall and possibly other locations as well. But these will match what is on the dash.

whiteclaw likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 10 Jul 2015 at 01:31 pm.
Old 10 Jul 2015, 01:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Handy_Cruiser, Thank you for the quick reply. I hoped that the VIN on the dash was the important one. I think I will be OK. I am sure I will be back with more questions, Thanks again, Antiqueynot
Old 10 Jul 2015, 02:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The only time that the other numbers are called into question is if the car is suspected of being stolen. Then they will check the other remaining stamped vin# in various places on the body.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Jul 2015, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
The only time that the other numbers are called into question is if the car is suspected of being stolen. Then they will check the other remaining stamped vin# in various places on the body.
Every see a car where the VIN on the body, dash, frame, etc. don't match? There's a lot of shops here that do nothing but rebuild wrecked cars. That was one of my issues with the turbo swap debate. Some of these rebuild shops will do some pretty shady stuff. Conway, Arkansas is full of these shops.

Arkansas didn't have a salvage title law until about ten years ago. But even today, unless a car is totaled by insurance, it normally doesn't end up with a salvage title. And there's definitely a market here for wrecked cars with clean titles.
Old 10 Jul 2015, 03:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Every see a car where the VIN on the body, dash, frame, etc. don't match? There's a lot of shops here that do nothing but rebuild wrecked cars. That was one of my issues with the turbo swap debate. Some of these rebuild shops will do some pretty shady stuff. Conway, Arkansas is full of these shops.

Arkansas didn't have a salvage title law until about ten years ago. But even today, unless a car is totaled by insurance, it normally doesn't end up with a salvage title. And there's definitely a market here for wrecked cars with clean titles.
All my cars have clean titles. Even clean car fax. Or I would not bother with it. A reconstructed title here is not well recived by the market place. Funny thing is I can go to a dealer only auction in a near by state and buy new to just a couple years old and by damage and wrecked vehicles that have a good title and fax if the airbag has not deployed. Every other week. I can afford to buy these because of the prices and too expensive to sell on a cash only lot like mine. So much for carfax. lol. As long as it's clean It won't hurt the sale. When buying I still rely on me being able to discern if it was damaged and if repaired correctly. If the fax is good and I can't tell then it's good to go. If I do find paint work I can get a better price even if it it's decent quality.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 11 Jul 2015, 09:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all for your answers. I bought this PT "As Is" and I did not spot the missing VIN sticker OR the drivers door paint difference until two days later. So long as I can title and inspect the car, I will lick my wounds. It galls me because I am 67, been working on cars for 50 years , and I was taken in by a seemingly genuine salesman. These folks will NOT get my business again. I'm sure I'll be back for more advice, Thank you again, Tony AKA Antiqueynot
Old 11 Jul 2015, 09:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiqueynot View Post
Thank you all for your answers. I bought this PT "As Is" and I did not spot the missing VIN sticker OR the drivers door paint difference until two days later. So long as I can title and inspect the car, I will lick my wounds. It galls me because I am 67, been working on cars for 50 years , and I was taken in by a seemingly genuine salesman. These folks will NOT get my business again. I'm sure I'll be back for more advice, Thank you again, Tony AKA Antiqueynot
I don't understand why you say you were taken, is there more to this story.
If the drivers door was replaced & the sticker was there, it still wouldn't match the VIN on the dash.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 11 Jul 2015, 09:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

I feel taken in that the Carfax showed no accidents yet SOMEONE who looked at the car while at this dealership should have spotted the missing VIN sticker on the drivers opening pillar, and I feel this should have been revealed to me. I guess I expected honesty from the salesman, a retired Philadelphia cop. The sticker is on the B pillar rather than the door I thought. Am I wrong in this, is the VIN sticker on the door? If so, then I see that the mismatched #'s would not be desirable. Thanks for the knowledge. I am learning quite a bit with this PT. Thanks to everyone, Tony
Old 11 Jul 2015, 09:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Lol the answers sometimes are funny on this forum.

Stickers with vin are mainly for part ID. The permanet Vin is vehickle ID

Come on guys ! There is also no law in the US if anyone wishes to de-sticker thier vehickle even the ones with id. Numbers and vin.

Wehave at least 2 law officers on thi forum that could respond with information or the OP really should be contacting thir states DMV for answers NOT a forum. Unless thier is a member here from thier state and also works for the DMV. Lol

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 11 Jul 2015 at 10:46 am.