PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wheels/Brakes/Studs Duds!! & Surprise Outcome!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sarasmiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2015, 04:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Wheels/Brakes/Studs Duds!! & Surprise Outcome!

Nothing more annoying than going to do the rear brakes on our 08 PT than having the first stud break off in the lug nut.

Had gotten tires put on back in the fall, went in for a flat repair drivers rear about 2 months ago. Wouldn't you know, Drivers rear, 1st stud breaks off taking off the wheel to do rear brakes...GRRRRRR

What IS cool though, just on a hunch we called the tire place and asked them about it, Clearly it had been damaged during the last service.

S H O C K E R ! they offered to have it fixed F R E E !!!!

They made us an appointment for at the shop next door for11:00am tomorrow, about an hour or so to fix it.

Kudo's to Discount Tire!
I call that good customer service.
I mean really, 2+ months after we had them fix the flat and they were willing & OFFERED to fix it free? WOW!
LionPT likes this.
Old 10 Jul 2015, 04:51 pm
Banned

Default Re: Wheels/Brakes/Studs Duds!! & Surprise Outcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasmiles View Post

Nothing more annoying than going to do the rear brakes on our 08 PT than having the first stud break off in the lug nut.

Had gotten tires put on back in the fall, went in for a flat repair drivers rear about 2 months ago. Wouldn't you know, Drivers rear, 1st stud breaks off taking off the wheel to do rear brakes...GRRRRRR

What IS cool though, just on a hunch we called the tire place and asked them about it, Clearly it had been damaged during the last service.

S H O C K E R ! they offered to have it fixed F R E E !!!!

They made us an appointment for at the shop next door for11:00am tomorrow, about an hour or so to fix it.

Kudo's to Discount Tire!
I call that good customer service.
I mean really, 2+ months after we had them fix the flat and they were willing & OFFERED to fix it free? WOW!
I'm glad that Discount Tire stepped up to the plate and offered to fix it, but just a word of caution, the fix may not be a total fix, but just a patch that may not hold. I went through a similiar experience a while back. This was on a rear wheel when replacing the tires, a shop cross-threaded the lug nut. When another shop went to remove the tire to do some brake work, they couldn't and had to cut off the lug nut. While replacing just the stud, because that is usually the normal repair, the replacement stud has teeth that bite into the hub and keep it from spinning. When trying to remove the cross-threaded nut, the second shop had ruined the mating teeth in the hub but they went ahead and replaced just the stud. The new stud held just long enough, did not spin when they put on the lug nut, to get my PT out of their shop. Whenever I know a shop has had the wheels of my vehicles, I always go around the corner from that shop and retorque the lug nuts myself because I cannot be assured that they used a torque wrench and not just their air guns which may not be accurate. When I got to the stud that they had replaced, as soon as I put my my wrench on the nut, it spun the stud, could not remove the lug nut. I promptly went back to the shop and presented the new issue. They had to cut off the nut again and this time replaced the entire hub, at their expense. I'm just saying, be cautious with the new stud, as there is the possibility it may not hold. On another vehicle that I owned, I had a similiar experience with a Discount Tire shop and a broken stud and they could not replace the stud, but they sent me to another shop down the street from theirs, where they covered the bill.
Old 10 Jul 2015, 09:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Wheels/Brakes/Studs Duds!! & Surprise Outcome!

Will watch closely for sure.

Funny about the tire place, they do indeed use a torque wrench and each and every nut.
I have watched them do it on all of our cars. That is the final step before they roll it out.

This stud sheered of clean, REALLY clean, no burr at all.