Advertisements
Best Rocker Panel Replacements?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2015, 09:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Best Rocker Panel Replacements?

Hey all,

I've been looking into replacing my rocker panels and before I cut out the rusted chunks of metal that used to be my rockers, out of my body. I want to find good metal to weld back in. I've noticed sherman makes rockers, I've also noticed people saying they don't fit well at all.

So this brings me to my question, has anyone found any good pre-formed rocker panels that fit the PT well? If shermans don't fit, in what way do they not fit well?

My rockers are pretty well destroyed and I need to fix it this year before it kills the body anymore. I already need to do work by the wheel wells too but I'll probably form small chunks of sheet steel for that. That'll be fun. I'm only forming metal myself because all I need is the bottom 7 inches next to the rocker.
Old 17 Jul 2015, 12:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Best Rocker Panel Replacements?

i dont remember any body finding any thing that was a great fit if say order a set and see how bad they are if they really suck send them back sounds like a pain but other than finding a doaner car not a lot of choice
Old 17 Jul 2015, 02:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
i dont remember any body finding any thing that was a great fit if say order a set and see how bad they are if they really suck send them back sounds like a pain but other than finding a doaner car not a lot of choice
I would look for a donor car... but in Wisconsin, I'm pretty sure they'll already have rust. I'm just wondering if anyone knows a brand or make that fit 'better' than others.
Old 17 Jul 2015, 04:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

I bought a set on ebay which are removed from rust free southern cars. The seller is ptcruiserwarehousedenny and the guy's name is Denny. His prices on ebay are really expensive at $250 each side. Since I was buying two, I made a deal with him off of ebay and got them for considerably less that the price for 2 individually on ebay.

Here are the links:

01 10 PT Cruiser Drivers Side Outer Rocker Panel Only | eBay

01 10 PT Cruiser Passengers Side Outer Rocker Panel Only | eBay
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 17 Jul 2015, 05:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
I would look for a donor car... but in Wisconsin, I'm pretty sure they'll already have rust. I'm just wondering if anyone knows a brand or make that fit 'better' than others.
None of the aftermarkets fit. They're junk. You are as well off hand make patches or do like mykee suggest and contact Denny.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Jul 2015, 08:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
I bought a set on ebay which are removed from rust free southern cars. The seller is ptcruiserwarehousedenny and the guy's name is Denny. His prices on ebay are really expensive at $250 each side. Since I was buying two, I made a deal with him off of ebay and got them for considerably less that the price for 2 individually on ebay.

Here are the links:

01 10 PT Cruiser Drivers Side Outer Rocker Panel Only | eBay

01 10 PT Cruiser Passengers Side Outer Rocker Panel Only | eBay

Denny's a good guy, I've mentioned him before on the forums.
Somethings are priced high, other are fine...it all depends on how bad you need part.
Sending him a PM on Ebay was a good move.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 18 Jul 2015, 12:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
None of the aftermarkets fit. They're junk. You are as well off hand make patches or do like mykee suggest and contact Denny.

Not sure if hand made patches will cut it though without a lot of added work.

$250 a panel seems a tad bit pricey and as you can see I don't necessarily need the entire lower door frames... (not sure what to do) I do like how they cover the spot by the fender... (less fab I'd have to do).

Last edited by Flash619; 18 Jul 2015 at 12:47 pm.
Old 18 Jul 2015, 03:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

All your getting from denny is the outer rocker. You have some pretty bad rockers. You really can't cover it. You need to get rid of the rusted out part and weld the replacement in. The after markets are a straight slip roll and sharp bends where the have bends. Our rucker are curved bin both directions with softer corners at the bends. Maybe try to contact him off ebay and see if you can make a better deal. Remember hi is shipping free on ebay. So you need to figure all that in. But This Is a big job even as a experienced body repair person like myself.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jul 2015, 04:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
All your getting from denny is the outer rocker. You have some pretty bad rockers. You really can't cover it. You need to get rid of the rusted out part and weld the replacement in. The after markets are a straight slip roll and sharp bends where the have bends. Our rucker are curved bin both directions with softer corners at the bends. Maybe try to contact him off ebay and see if you can make a better deal. Remember hi is shipping free on ebay. So you need to figure all that in. But This Is a big job even as a experienced body repair person like myself.

Well the inner beam in the rocker seems to mainly have surface rust. My plan is to grind/sand/wire wheel all the rust off, cut out any rusted sheet metal that's too far gone, get to good metal. Coat the inside with a rust converter (to just help any minor spots I may have missed), and after all of that, weld in new metal on each side.

Thoughts?
Old 18 Jul 2015, 10:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

I contacted 5 other auto salvage yards I found online and will see what they say/quote me as well. I have a funny feeling nothing will look as nice as Denny's rockers...

That reminds me I need to head over to Airgas this next weekend. Its like I can't stop spending money. XD