PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
UltraGauge

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2015, 03:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default UltraGauge

I have read all the posts here about the UltraGauge and seriously thinking of ordering one. I'm wondering which version members currently are using.

UltraGauge, OBD II Scan Tool & Information Center I was looking at the 3 current versions and debating between EM Plus vs MX 1.3. Specifically if anyone has the MX 1.3 and setup some of the manufacturer specific gauge for their PT Cruiser?

"The UltraGauge MX 1.3 is only recommended for advanced users that are very comfortable with technology and are familiar with the concept of OBDII codes. For all others, we highly recommend the UltraGauge EM Plus

The UltraGauge MX 1.3 is identical to the UltraGauge EM v1.2 except that the MX 1.3 has the ability to POTENTIALLY access manufacturer specific gauges. The best source of gauge codes is on an automotive forum specific to your vehicle."

I feel comfortable with new tech and see the UG's live display a step up from a basic OBDII scanner which I was planning on getting, but now think the UG is better bang for my buck. Leaning towards the MX 1.3 on the off chance extra data is or becomes available.

Any thoughts and comments appreciated.

Cashew
Old 18 Jul 2015, 04:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: UltraGauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashew View Post
I have read all the posts here about the UltraGauge and seriously thinking of ordering one. I'm wondering which version members currently are using.

I'm using UltraGauge EM v1.2.
When I bought mine last year, the other 2 were still in Beta.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 18 Jul 2015, 04:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Have you had any codes come up that you were able to view and then cancel?
Cashew
Old 18 Jul 2015, 06:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yes, I've seen 2, one I still get about once a week...till I decide to track it down.
When the code comes up, you have to hold the bottom right button to silence it.
It will notify you on every restart until you clear the code.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 18 Jul 2015, 07:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Very cool instead of taking it in or visiting one of the local auto stores to run their scanner. I'm sold, just need to decide if the latest model is best for me, price difference doesn't factor in it for me.
Cashew
Old 19 Jul 2015, 12:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Better go back and CAREFULLY read the avilibity of the Ultra Gauge for a PT Crusier.

The newest with readiness has advantages for dignostic work as well ifbyou are in a state the hasvrequired smog / emission testing.

I do not own a vehicle that can use their "limited" and spefic applicated latestest Ultra Gauge but have the others models on 4 vehicles.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 19 Jul 2015 at 12:38 am.
Old 19 Jul 2015, 08:00 am
Senior Cruiser

As Nitro implied, the new MX gauge does not have any added manufacturer parameters for our Chryslers; currently. Depending on whether or not they will continue to develop this hardware, they could add in the missing stuff for Chrysler too, as they have done for the Ford and GM applications. If you look at all of the added stuff for Ford or GM, it is quite useful stuff. Like knock retard, and trans temp etc. These parameters are available, for our cars, on at least one other brand of similar, albeit more expensive, multi-gauge; and has been for many years now.

So, if they continue to develop the code, they could add it in at some later date. If you look in their site, you can see that anytime a user wants an upgrade or flash to the newest revision, they require the device to be sent back, and, for a small fee, they will perform the service. What is not known is, if they continue to develop and add the missing features, if the v1.3 hardware is the same as v1.2. If it is just a software upgrade and the hardware is the same, then there is really no upside in spending the $10 now, and then spending it again in the future to upgrade; if the 1.2 can also be upgraded with the same parameters. If the 1.3 has a different board or more memory to handle the extra code, then I would say its worth it for the extra $10 now. One would only know by contacting them and asking about that.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by myckee; 19 Jul 2015 at 08:11 am.
Old 19 Jul 2015, 10:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the info, re-reading their site and doing more google searches to check a few things out. I see now the "reward/rebate" is a direct result for the compatibility calculator. Users helping users, I agree in the process.

Was waiting to order, till I took possession of my new to me Cruiser. Got the call a few minutes ago. 2.5 hours to go till I get to pick it up. I like my Sunday afternoon naps, I could start one now, but like a kid going to Disneyworld I don't think I can rest.
Cashew
Old 19 Jul 2015, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Speaking as one that has several and not another internet fack finding wizard that does not own or used one mentioned, IMO bsed on useing one and knowing the normal * wear of it not worth the extra money to EVER spend on the upgrades. UG has indicated that they will not directly contiue to develope for older chrysler models like the PT Cruiser .

Ultra Gauge has thier own forum which has a lot more usefull information then you may find here as there is only about 3-6 active members that own and use a UG and most are still learning all area of usefullness.

IMO go to the Ultra Gauge form and ask your quesions from this point about which will work best for you.

Aside from that other calibrations questions may be found there as well a few here on this forum .

Ultra Gauge is very carefull about making sure you fully understand thier product beefore and after you buy one. Even the basic warranty for it has a easy elimentary school test that comes with your gauge to actavate the warranty and much be taken.

So do your choice wisely on Ultra Gauge websites.

*UG does not do well to sustained and long periods of enviroment tempretures exceeding 140f

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 19 Jul 2015 at 10:34 am.
Old 19 Jul 2015, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

PM sent

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN