Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC and the TCM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2015, 12:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default AC and the TCM

ya'll's time is valuable, i'll try to be brief. I've searched the posts and gotten some good tidbits but I'm still stuck.
the AC system went down on my 2002 cruiser and i began the repair process, checking everything i could using the chrysler shop manual. Compressor was not turning and my well-meaning neighbor tried jumping the relay terminals to see if the clutch might be bad. Compressor came on and ran a couple minutes and then blew the blowoff valve. I speculated a possible blockage (orifice tube or accumulator) so because the car is 13 years old, i bit the bullet and replaced compressor, lines, accumulator, hi and low pressure cutoffs. The old system looked very clean so i thought maybe blockage was not the problem. I also blew air through the evap and condenser - no blockage there.
I have checked all the wiring and circuits, relays, etc., all the way to the multipin connectors on the TCM. the two speed fan is new and functional. So i am now to the recharge stage and have evacuated the system and found no leaks. The only refrigerant i've been able to load in is the 5 or 6 ounces that would go in to the evacuated system. The new compressor will not activate even with the low pressure switch terminals jumpered.
I am assuming the TCM would be the last place to look and i think i'm there. One little hiccup i noticed when chasing circuits, the TCM connector had a brownish fluid in it. The harness was dry. I pulled the TCM and opened it. The gel looked OK. I don't think the fluid was oil but not seeing anything terribly amiss, i buttoned it up, cleaned the connector with contact cleaner and put it back in.
I hope i've explained this clear enough so that someone might be able to give me a little help. I'd be grateful.
Old 21 Jul 2015, 12:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: AC and the TCM

I need to make a correction, sorry. I meant to refer to the PCM, powertrain control module. I've had issues with the TCM in the past and failed to disconnect the synapse.
Old 21 Jul 2015, 08:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking your radiator fan. There are two speeds low and high speed. With the engine cold start the engine up, turn on your A/C, and see if the radiator fan comes on automatically.

If the radiator fan does not come on turn the engine off, remove the low fan relay, start the engine and see if the high speed radiator fan automatically comes on. If it does not come on check the wiring going to the radiator fan and the radiator fan itself.
Old 22 Jul 2015, 02:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thank you for the reply. Low and hi fan are good.
Just a quick update - i found a bad connector and have now been able to get about 25 ounces of gas into the system. Problem now is intermittent cooling. I'm wondering if I have enough charge in there because the hi pressure side never goes above about 150 and with 90F+ ambient here in Texas, the manual says it should be around 300. Low side goes to about 30 when compressor runs. The manual doesn't tell me what the low side should be.
still sweatin