Advertisements
Want to detail the PT this weekend

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2015, 07:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Want to detail the PT this weekend

I've inherited my wife's 2002 PT, and am pretty happy, as it's in far better shape than what I was driving. I've always loved the car—they're just so cool. May not be safe. Or fast. Or economic. But they are cool. To Hell with everything else, I say!

Despite years of warnings, she's been eating in it. Spilling coffee. I even thought I saw Jimmy Hoffa under the passenger seat. The cloth is sticky in spots. I think the cloth floor mats should be replaced at some point. (Can they be replaced?) The plastic is gunky in spots. The plastic is faded in spots. The dash is a fairly new replacement.

The exterior plastic parts are sun-damaged.

The headlight covers are hazy.

I've got the two rust spots growing along the bottom, just in front of the rear tires. That's a job for a professional.

I'd love to get some product recommendations, or home-made concoctions to tackle what we can. I'm especially interested in doing what I can for the exterior plastics and headlights, and cleaning the cloth as well as dealers clean their used cars.

Has anyone made anything that really protects plastic from the sun, aside from a garage?

Thanks, and thanks for looking!

Last edited by KroozinNb00zin; 23 Jul 2015 at 05:05 am.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Want to detail the PT this weekend

Well, self, I bought a Bissell SpotClean Pet for $100 at the local Walmart, and it's very good at light cleaning and light spot removal. Plus, we can use it to clean up after our leaky dog when she has one of her moments. All in all, a good purchase for a car or a house with pets that have accidents.

Don't know what to do for oil or grease-type stains on floor board, but am looking at McGuiar's Super Degreaser concentrate and McGuiar's All Purpose Cleaner concentrate. There's some unholy spill on the passenger's side that wants to remain sticky and foul for all eternity.

Have a great day and thanks for helping yourself!
Old 27 Jul 2015, 02:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The carpet in a PT comes in two pieces. They divide under the front seats.

If it was me, I'd pull the seats, pop out the kick panels and door floor seals along with the center console and then pull up the carpets.

I'd take the carpets to a car wash and thoroughly clean them. I've done this many many times and it always turns out much better than anything else I've tried.

Once washed, hang the carpets up and let them drip dry. To speed things up, you can vacuum out as much water as you can using a wet shop vac if you have one.

While waiting for the carpets to dry, you can clean the seats really good with them out of the car.

In the photo below is the rear half of the carpet out of a 2001 PT. I got this at a salvage yard. And while it wasn't damaged, it was badly dirty. But after the car wash treatment, it looked brand new.

buddyiramae and Cashew like this.
Old 27 Jul 2015, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

May I suggest that you tell us the color of the items your are treating.

Not all cleaners recommendations will work well on all color fabricates and carpet colors.

Sometimes it is better to "spot clean" rather then a complete overhaul cleaning of some normally worn materials to prevent more problems then before the cleaning?

Todds "Dear hunter" method for the carpet is not a bad idea?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Jul 2015, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Handy_Cruiser, your silver PT is a beaut!

Mine's silver with the grey interior. It's seen a number of coffee spills, but whatever is on the passenger seat is STICKY. It improved after one cleaning with the Bissell, but many more are in order, unless I find something better to address a sticky stain—I was thinking the Super Degreaser would work.

I was looking at removing the driver's seat to install a new recliner mechanism. Specifically, can I do it without having to remove the foam somehow? I've replaced the power door switch motor, so I can work a screw driver, but I'm no car guy. Should I pay the local shop replace the recliner mechanism?

Thanks for helping!!!
Old 28 Jul 2015, 11:17 am
Cool Cruiser

I have rubber liner for the whole rear area...no mess too tough to just pull out rubber liner and hose off...you can spill a few gallons probably.. it will go to the low collection pockets..don't spill coleman camping fuel on carpeting..it sheds like a dog in summer..my passenger side carpet is bare.. my solution is gonna be weathertec mats in front..if ya cant see it!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 3rcruiser; 28 Jul 2015 at 11:20 am.
Old 28 Jul 2015, 11:23 am
Regular Cruiser

Can you share what brand/model the rear cargo liner is? I'm in the mood for one.Thanks in advance,
Cashew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rcruiser View Post
I have rubber liner for the whole rear area...no mess too tough to just pull out rubber liner and hose off...you can spill a few gallons probably.. it will go to the low collection pockets..don't spill coleman camping fuel on carpeting..it sheds like a dog in summer..my passenger side carpet is bare.. my solution is gonna be weathertec mats in front..if ya cant see it!!!!!!!!!!!

Cashew
Old 28 Jul 2015, 02:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroozinNb00zin View Post
Handy_Cruiser, your silver PT is a beaut!

Mine's silver with the grey interior. It's seen a number of coffee spills, but whatever is on the passenger seat is STICKY. It improved after one cleaning with the Bissell, but many more are in order, unless I find something better to address a sticky stain—I was thinking the Super Degreaser would work.

I was looking at removing the driver's seat to install a new recliner mechanism. Specifically, can I do it without having to remove the foam somehow? I've replaced the power door switch motor, so I can work a screw driver, but I'm no car guy. Should I pay the local shop replace the recliner mechanism?

Thanks for helping!!!
I think I have a spare recliner mechanism for a 2001 thru 2005 PT if you need one. Just let me know. You can have it for free if you pay shipping.

Do you have leather or cloth seats? On the cloth seats, I'd try some regular automotive upholstery cleaner first like they sell at the parts stores. Try it first in an unconspicuous area to assure it doesn't take out the color. But chances are it won't.

On my old Sebring convertible with cloth seats, I used the "Deer Hunter" method as I described for the carpet. While this will not hurt the carpets in a PT at all, it's questionable on the seats. I pressure washed the stained cloth areas and tried to avoid the electric parts beneath. It was very sunny and about 100 degrees too. So they dried very quickly after being vacuumed with a shop vac. Again, unlike the carpets, it's risky on the seats but I've done it many times in the past.

Try the automotive upholstery cleaner first and see what that does. It's likely going to be gentler than a degreaser.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Jul 2015 at 02:20 pm.