PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cooling fan chart in shop manual

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2015, 10:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default cooling fan chart in shop manual

I'm obviously missing something. I'm trying to resolve an AC issue and I've seen several posts about the cooling fan and its relation to AC function. The posts suggest that the fan should come on when the AC is on even with the engine cold. The chart in the shop manual shows the low speed fan OFF when the AC is on and the high speed fan doesn't come on until the temperature is 180F. What am I missing here?
My fan and relays check out as operational, but the fan does not blow with a cold engine. Can someone help me understand this?
thanks
Old 23 Jul 2015, 01:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: cooling fan chart in shop manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by momride View Post
I'm obviously missing something. I'm trying to resolve an AC issue and I've seen several posts about the cooling fan and its relation to AC function. The posts suggest that the fan should come on when the AC is on even with the engine cold. The chart in the shop manual shows the low speed fan OFF when the AC is on and the high speed fan doesn't come on until the temperature is 180F. What am I missing here?
My fan and relays check out as operational, but the fan does not blow with a cold engine. Can someone help me understand this?
thanks
What year is your PT Cruiser?

If your low speed fan does not automatically come on when you turn on the A/C with the engine cold you need to check the low speed on the radiator fan. Check the wiring going to the radiator fan. Apply 12 volts to the low speed on the radiator fan and see if it comes on. Check and make sure the wires are connected to the A/C. The PCM needs to get communication from the A/C. Some members have found the A/C connector had fallen off not letting the PCM know that the A/C is on.
Old 23 Jul 2015, 05:47 am
Cool Cruiser

I guess it depends on the year. I have an 06 and would believe the chart.
Old 23 Jul 2015, 07:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2kki View Post
. I have an 06 and would believe the chart.
Believe the chart if you want to but the compressor needs that fan ON to cool and everyone that we talk to, no matter what year their PT is, says that the fan comes on with the compressor (A/C or defrost mode) IF everything is working properly, even if the engine is cold and when it doesn't come on, like yours, it needs to be checked as Steve pointed out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 23 Jul 2015 at 07:40 am.
Old 23 Jul 2015, 08:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks to all responders.
My cruiser is a 2002. Both fan speeds are operational - I have jumpered 12 volts thru both relays. I have also checked the relays.
I'll keep looking. Thanks
Old 23 Jul 2015, 08:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the low speed relay again. I have had other members claim that the low speed relay was fine but when they checked it again it was bad.

Pull the low speed relay and start the engine. Does the high speed automatically come on?
Have you checked the wires from the A/C to the PCM?
Does the compressor start cycling when you turn on the A/C and then the compressor goes off?
Or is the compressor not cycling at all?
Old 23 Jul 2015, 10:39 am
Banned

On my '06, on a cold engine, if I turn on the A/C, the fan comes on.
Old 23 Jul 2015, 05:42 pm
Banned

How can you tell when the high speed has kicked in?
Old 23 Jul 2015, 07:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
How can you tell when the high speed has kicked in?
On the LOW speed, you practically have to look to see if it's spinning as it's that quiet while the HIGH speed makes a loud motor/wind noise that's almost can't be missed above the engine noise itself.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jul 2015, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest checking the low speed relay again. I have had other members claim that the low speed relay was fine but when they checked it again it was bad.

Pull the low speed relay and start the engine. Does the high speed automatically come on?
Have you checked the wires from the A/C to the PCM?
Does the compressor start cycling when you turn on the A/C and then the compressor goes off?
Or is the compressor not cycling at all?
I have grounded the PCM circuit of both relays with the relays in their sockets just as if the PCM was connecting them to ground, and the fan operates. I have pulled the low speed relay, started the engine, and the fan operates. I have checked continuity from the multipin plugs on the PCM to each relay, to the compressor, to the high and low pressure cutoffs, to the coolant temperature sensor, to the AC rotary switch on the dash. With a cold engine, the compressor comes on and blows cold until the engine warms up at which time the system shuts down and does not restart. Low side pressures approach 25 and high side around 250 while compressor runs. The only thing I have not done but am considering is splicing into the circuit between the Low/hi speed cutoffs and the PCM with the system running to see if the PCM is erroneously shutting it down. After that, I'm thinking dynamite.
Thanks for taking an interest.
rob342 likes this.