PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Here's the latest timing belt question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2015, 11:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Here's the latest timing belt question...

So, looking for advice on when to change my timing belt.

Just got my second PT, this one is an 04 GT with only 52k.

It was grandpa's car, and he only drove it about 500 miles in the past two years. Meticulously maintained (former long haul trucker who did most of the maintenance himself).

He has NOT done the timing belt and water pump though.

And, he had it in Sonoma, CA (wine country), where it is hot and dusty.

So, the question is: can I check the condition of the timing belt cheaply?

I am *pretty sure* you all will tell me to bite the bullet and change these things now, with no delay. But, it would be good to at least know the condition first.

And, this is not a repair I feel comfortable doing on my own.

Thanks for your guidance!
Old 24 Jul 2015, 11:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Here's the latest timing belt question...

If it were mine, I'd change the timing belt at around 80,000, just due to it's age and lack of use. The belt could look like it's in really good shape and still break.
Expect to shell out between $800 and $1200 to have it replaced along with the tensioners and water pump.
Old 24 Jul 2015, 02:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't drive that much, so 80k might be 6 years from now (or longer). Good to hear you say 80k, I haven't seen anyone talk about timing belt problems from age - only mileage. But there seems to be a lot of talk about the *potential* for age to wear the timing belt early.
Old 24 Jul 2015, 02:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXCruiser View Post
So, looking for advice on when to change my timing belt.

Just got my second PT, this one is an 04 GT with only 52k.

It was grandpa's car, and he only drove it about 500 miles in the past two years. Meticulously maintained (former long haul trucker who did most of the maintenance himself).

He has NOT done the timing belt and water pump though.

And, he had it in Sonoma, CA (wine country), where it is hot and dusty.

So, the question is: can I check the condition of the timing belt cheaply?

I am *pretty sure* you all will tell me to bite the bullet and change these things now, with no delay. But, it would be good to at least know the condition first.

And, this is not a repair I feel comfortable doing on my own.

Thanks for your guidance!
'Bite the Bullet" is my vote, its already 10+ years old, 5 years past what I've read as serviceable. If you are a gambler, have it your way.
Sometimes with age the cogs (teeth on the belt) strip off and same result and it will happen at the most in opportune time.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 24 Jul 2015, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First you can't tell by looking with that mileage. Well you can by bending the belt back on itself to see if it cracks. you have to have it off to do that. There are several that I have read over the 4 or so years that had the belt break with low milage. My feeling is, if it was driven on somewhat a regular bases versus sitting for months in between driving. I wouldn't be as worried about the dry rot. i think 7 years is the actual suggested time thing. But I have seen some go way past the milage of 100K. They of course stayed on the road and put the milage on quickly. Maybe you will study up on the procedure on here and do it yourself a couple years down the road.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Jul 2015, 04:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I would guess that most timing belts do not break but rather the teeth strip off and the belt no longer functions. Don't get me wrong though, I have seen many photos of broken belts but I think the broken ones result from teeth stripping and then thelt tearing as the rubber disintegrates and the engine stops. My son's GT belt came out in one piece with about seven teeth missing but looked in great shape otherwise. Thirst at something like 93K.
Old 26 Jul 2015, 10:20 am
Dedicated Cruiser

My recent road side experience with timing belt failure and replacement of the belt and components was evidenced as a 5" segment of the belt teeth being stripped or sheared off. In all other respects the belt, from the back side, still looked good. Cher` Che` the teeth.
Replace it sooner rather than later! Don't get stuck with a road side incident. Have it done as predictive maintenance not last minute corrective (extra expense) maintenance! You may not luck out and run into reliable trustworthy, honest people as I did, in a situation like that. Happy PTin' ptprice
Old 26 Jul 2015, 11:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
I would guess that most timing belts do not break but rather the teeth strip off and the belt no longer functions. Don't get me wrong though, I have seen many photos of broken belts but I think the broken ones result from teeth stripping and then thelt tearing as the rubber disintegrates and the engine stops. My son's GT belt came out in one piece with about seven teeth missing but looked in great shape otherwise. Thirst at something like 93K.
mine snapped cleanly in half, all writing on the belt looked good, and there were no stripped teeth. mine snapped when i pegged the brake going ~25 in 3rd gear without pushing the clutch. drunk leaving a VFW hall pulled out in front of me on a wet street. hit the brake, locked the tires, snapped the belt cleanly. ironically, i was scheduled to change it the following day