PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Should I plug my fog lights back in??? What say you?

 
Like Tree4Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jul 2015, 06:31 pm
Gkon's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,840
Default Should I plug my fog lights back in??? What say you?

Hi all,

2002, PT Cruiser Limited with automatic transmission

I bought the car about 2 months ago and have been doing various bits of work to get her trustworthy and also looking good.

I've read various posts about the problems with the fog lights having the multi-switch or connector melt/burn/catch fire, so many people have disconnected their fog lights and/or removed the fuse.

My fog lights are not hooked up (the bulbs are in the housings, but the wiring harness is not plugged in for either light). I have not checked to see if the fuse is pulled or not. So it's obvious the previous owner(s) had a problem or wanted to avoid one.

However, I have noticed in the carfax(Sp?) report that the multi-switch WAS replaced a few years back. If I've understood correctly, the new multi-switches that were installed took care of the melting/burning problem? Is this true?

So, being the guy I am, and liking when all the do-dads work as they're supposed to, I ask, do I plug the fog lights back in, or am I asking for trouble?
What say you?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jul 2015, 06:37 pm
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,344
Default Re: Should I plug my fog lights back in??? What say you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkon View Post
Hi all,

2002, PT Cruiser Limited with automatic transmission

I bought the car about 2 months ago and have been doing various bits of work to get her trustworthy and also looking good.

I've read various posts about the problems with the fog lights having the multi-switch or connector melt/burn/catch fire, so many people have disconnected their fog lights and/or removed the fuse.

My fog lights are not hooked up (the bulbs are in the housings, but the wiring harness is not plugged in for either light). I have not checked to see if the fuse is pulled or not. So it's obvious the previous owner(s) had a problem or wanted to avoid one.

However, I have noticed in the carfax(Sp?) report that the multi-switch WAS replaced a few years back. If I've understood correctly, the new multi-switches that were installed took care of the melting/burning problem? Is this true?

So, being the guy I am, and liking when all the do-dads work as they're supposed to, I ask, do I plug the fog lights back in, or am I asking for trouble?
What say you?
If I remember right, the burning/melting of the harness is usually a headlight problem. The fog light problem is bacause of warn contacts in the MFS.
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jul 2015, 06:57 pm
Gkon's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,840
Default Re: Should I plug my fog lights back in??? What say you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
If I remember right, the burning/melting of the harness is usually a headlight problem. The fog light problem is bacause of warn contacts in the MFS.
Really? I got a completely different picture from what I've read but, then again, I'm new at this.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jul 2015, 07:28 pm
Gkon's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,840
Default Re: Should I plug my fog lights back in??? What say you?

I'm now watching a video on multi-switch replacement and more specifically the problem seemed to be that the fog lights stayed on even with the switch in the off position which drained the battery and also caused the multi-switch to smoke/melt.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jul 2015, 07:47 pm
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,344
Default Re: Should I plug my fog lights back in??? What say you?

I can't find the thread, but "rob342" can point you in the right direction.
The harness plug that is the main problem is the one behind the inside fuse box...but we might be talking about different things.
Gkon likes this.
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jul 2015, 10:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: darien il
Posts: 4,592
Default Re: Should I plug my fog lights back in??? What say you?

i never had fog lights. the C103 grey connector by the fuse box was melted and caused my headlights, taillights, and some other stuff to go out.

i think in this case it might be more in the handy department?
The "Handy" Aluminum Can Mod To Fix Fog Lights.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26 Jul 2015, 10:58 pm
Handy_Cruiser's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 10,335
Default Re: Should I plug my fog lights back in??? What say you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkon View Post
I'm now watching a video on multi-switch replacement and more specifically the problem seemed to be that the fog lights stayed on even with the switch in the off position which drained the battery and also caused the multi-switch to smoke/melt.
I fixed my multifuction switch in my 2001 Limited. And I'm about to do the same mod in my 2005 GT. Here's a link:

The "Handy" Aluminum Can Mod To Fix Fog Lights.

PS: You can also buy a new switch on RockAuto for about $60.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jul 2015, 08:51 am
Vlefaive's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Whitby ON Canada
Posts: 1,630
Default Re: Should I plug my fog lights back in??? What say you?

I found an MFS at rock auto and was glad I did, now all is well... Fog lights add to the joy my friend.. I use them every day..
__________________
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jul 2015, 09:54 am
Gkon's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,840
Default Re: Should I plug my fog lights back in??? What say you?

Thanks for the input everybody.

I feel, however, that I need to re-iterate something.

I am not looking into if I have to replace the MF switch. According to the carfax report when I bought the car 2 months ago, the MF switch was already replaced by one of the previous owners.

My question is, since the MF switch having already been replaced, I noticed that the wiring harness is still unplugged at the fog lights. Should I plug them back in? It's my understanding that the replacement MF switches were changed to help take care of the problem with the fog lights not turning off, thus melting the switch.

So is it safe to assume that the new MF switch (which is already installed) is the newer model, thus allowing me to plug in and use the fog lights without worry?

I don't want to plug them in and find out the hard way that it will melt again, as I am in a tough financial position and would not be able to install a new MF switch right now.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 27 Jul 2015, 10:03 am
Ray_Dockrey's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mustang, OK
Posts: 1,213
Default Re: Should I plug my fog lights back in??? What say you?

The replacement MFS's will also fail. They fail because of the design of the electrical system, The full electrical load of the fog lights goes through the switch.
LionPT likes this.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smoke Back-Up Lights? anyone used them> Koch Exterior Accessories Forum 99 15 Jan 2014 06:38 pm
Back up lights lowpt Classifieds: Want To Buy 6 18 Aug 2009 08:35 pm
Brighter back-up lights 2fer Tech & Performance Forum 8 22 Mar 2007 10:21 pm
Tail and Back-up Lights bruent Exterior Accessories Forum 16 27 Mar 2005 06:26 pm
All CLEAR back up lights? 1lowufo Exterior Accessories Forum 5 13 Feb 2005 12:39 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors