Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rust Converters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2015, 01:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Rust Converters

I spent last night reading what I could so far on different Rust Converters. Sounds like most of the are the same and the binder is the main difference in it's chemical makeup.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with any of them and their thoughts on it's use, specifically on a PT frame and under body.

Seems locally only available online and shipped in. Some have quantity minimums, I think 2 gallons is a bit much.

Cashew

Cashew
Old 27 Jul 2015, 02:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rust Converters

Eastwood - Auto Body Repair Tools | MIG Welder | TIG Welder | Plasma Cutter | Auto Body Supplies & Accessories

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Jul 2015, 05:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

none of the band aid repairs work. i tried most of them and they all pretty much suck. naval jelly is nasty to work with, i hated that the most. the rust converter primer that turns black on bare metal seems more a marketing thing than an amazing product. i've had it last 2 years before i'd see bubbling starting to form. latest was eastwood rust encapsulator. directions say cleaning with a stiff wire brush is sufficient. most of the spots i applied it right before winter are now starting to turn orange again.

best thing I ever learned as far as preventing rust was to clean and then cover bare metal with boiled linseed oil using a brush and bake it on with a propane torch until dry. if you want you can use primer/paint over that. a hillbilly taught me that trick. goes against common sense but seems to work better than the stuff you'd THINK would work. you might try it. it's available locally and it's available in small quantities. maybe study up on it for a while. i do know for a fact i have used this method and it worked the best so far compared to anything else i've ever tried.

Last edited by rob342; 27 Jul 2015 at 08:10 pm.
Old 28 Jul 2015, 11:10 am
Cool Cruiser

I done ok with naval jelly..nasty tho and last resort to removing all rust...done quite a few frames in my time..cover it with por15..that stuff is tuff..takes days to get off hands lol..eastwood rocks bought lots from em

Last edited by 3rcruiser; 28 Jul 2015 at 11:12 am.
Old 28 Jul 2015, 07:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the links and info.

Cashew
Old 29 Jul 2015, 09:53 am
Senior Cruiser

You have surface rust?

Your best bet is wash it down, use Eastwoods Converter, they have single stage, ie no mixing, paint it on and let it dry.

Then topcoat with Rust Encapsulator Paint and then Chasis Black epoxy paint.

Pull the inner fender liners and wash all the muck out. Also drop the heat sheilds and paint the "hump" area above the exhaust.

Once you have the undeside painted, they have brushable seam sealer, use that on all the seams allow to dry and then paint that.

Then if you choose they have a waxy hevy duty antirust, spray all the floors with that and once a year touch up any areas.

I would also buy some of Eastwoods inner frame coating, spray that in the rockers and cavitys in the subframes.

lastly use Eureak Fluid film, spray that in all the other pockets which trap water, ie lower doors, hatch, hood etc

This is the only true way to rust proof a car. Takes some time but not difficult.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1218.jpg (94.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1219.jpg (97.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 562.jpg (95.9 KB, 15 views)

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 29 Jul 2015, 09:58 am
Regular Cruiser

VNT,
Thanks for the reply, info and especially the photos. Will report back once I get things in order.
Cashew

Cashew
Old 16 Aug 2015, 09:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

If this issue hasn't been resolved yet go to local ace hardware and buy some OSPHO if not in stock the should be able to get it for you.

Google OSPHO for info. Every vehicle that gets stripped in my shop gets treated with ospho initially.
Old 16 Aug 2015, 09:37 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by swayne View Post
If this issue hasn't been resolved yet go to local ace hardware and buy some OSPHO if not in stock the should be able to get it for you.

Google OSPHO for info. Every vehicle that gets stripped in my shop gets treated with ospho initially.
I will have to check it out, thanks for the info.

Cashew
Old 17 Aug 2015, 10:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Just cut out all the rust from my rocker panel. Got a new rocker on line and just replaced what I needed. Did a pretty bad job on the welding but most of the rust was on the bottom so only see a little. After the heat wave and a little more practice with my mig will attempt the passenger side.

Mike

Won't quit my day job