Advertisements
Vent Control Knob Not Turning All the Way

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2015, 10:40 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Vent Control Knob Not Turning All the Way

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with the vent control knob that allows you to direct from where the air/heat comes from - head, head/feet, feet, etc. on my new to me 2001 Limited Edition.

When I turn the knob counterclockwise to the head only position, the knob encounters some light pressure/resistance and will not stay in place. I can force it into place but, once I let go, it turns on its own just a bit, in a clockwise direction.

How does this dial work? Meaning, when you turn the knob, what is actuating the change in where the air come out, a cable? lever? a door on a pivot?

My dash is cracked through and the grille of the center vent is missing/broken, so I'm wondering if it's possible that when the center vent grille broke (happened before I got the car), could the pieces be physically blocking something, causing that problem?

Thank you!
Old 28 Jul 2015, 11:06 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Vent Control Knob Not Turning All the Way

Sound like the cable is binding, your gonna have to pull off the center bezel to get a look at it.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 28 Jul 2015, 12:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Sound like the cable is binding, your gonna have to pull off the center bezel to get a look at it.
Ah, ok, so it is a cable that controls it. Thanks. (I had a '63 Buick Wildcat that also worked with cables).

I plan on replacing the broken dash as soon as I can, so when I take it all apart to do that I'll look into the control knob.
Old 28 Jul 2015, 08:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Vent Control Knob Not Turning All the Way

BTW, I can't remember which one now (of my 4 older Cruisers), but one would bind like that when the HVAC control was only in one certain position.
I got around it by changing the HVAC control first, then the vent knob position; and then put the HVAC back where I wanted it.

It, just seemed to be binding when the HVAC was in one special position.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 28 Jul 2015, 08:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
BTW, I can't remember which one now (of my 4 older Cruisers), but one would bind like that when the HVAC control was only in one certain position.
I got around it by changing the HVAC control first, then the vent knob position; and then put the HVAC back where I wanted it.

It, just seemed to be binding when the HVAC was in one special position.
I'm sorry, but when you say HVAC control, I'm not sure which know you mean exactly. Would that be the AC/Fan or the temp control?
Old 28 Jul 2015, 09:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

HVAC means High Volume Air Conditioning. A lot of folks seem to think that means any air conditioning nowadays. In my day automotive air conditioning was called that and home air conditioning was called that.

Call it linguistic drift I guess.

I have not had occasion to take apart the ac and heater controls in my PT Cruiser but I did take the ones in our '05 Neon apart a few years ago. One of the controls is so you take in outside air or close it off and only recirculate the air that is already in the cars cabin.

When you turn on the defroster the outside air vent automatically opens at least a little.

That control was run by a sheathed steel wire cable. It had broken on the little door down inside the air box and the little door inside the air box was broken too. I have no clue how it got broken and both my women swear it did not happen when they were driving the car, I have my doubts about that.

I ended up having to take the whole darn dash out to fix it all.
Gkon likes this.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.
Old 29 Jul 2015, 02:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA9VQF View Post
HVAC means High Volume Air Conditioning. A lot of folks seem to think that means any air conditioning nowadays. In my day automotive air conditioning was called that and home air conditioning was called that.

Call it linguistic drift I guess.

I have not had occasion to take apart the ac and heater controls in my PT Cruiser but I did take the ones in our '05 Neon apart a few years ago. One of the controls is so you take in outside air or close it off and only recirculate the air that is already in the cars cabin.

When you turn on the defroster the outside air vent automatically opens at least a little.

That control was run by a sheathed steel wire cable. It had broken on the little door down inside the air box and the little door inside the air box was broken too. I have no clue how it got broken and both my women swear it did not happen when they were driving the car, I have my doubts about that.

I ended up having to take the whole darn dash out to fix it all.
Thanks for taking the time to explain all that.

I should have mentioned, I am familiar with the term HVAC, I just wasn't sure which of the control knobs to consider as the HVAC control
Old 29 Jul 2015, 04:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump
Gkon likes this.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 06:22 pm.
Old 29 Jul 2015, 05:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
Read this post, especially the cable adjustment information at the end.
"WARNING: DO NOT SKIP THE VERY SIMPLE AND EASY “ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE.”
... take the 2 dials you pulled off earlier, and put them back on their correct spindles.
...first, by turning the dial fully counter-clockwise and HOLD THE DIAL FIRMLY. Pull the gray casing on the cable toward the Box, to remove any slack. ..., ATTACH THE CLIP. .... Release the dial when you have it clipped down tight. "

In the picture, the left #2 arrow points to the clip securing the cable for the mode control; see the metal clip holding the end of the cable sheath? The clip for the other cable (temperature control) is under the plastic brace.

HT CREWZIN
Brilliant! Great! Thank you so very much. This is exactly what I needed.

I was hoping to get away with simply adjusting my existing cable but, according the write up, I should replace it.

Knowing me, I'll still see if I can adjust what I've got

Thanks again!
Old 29 Jul 2015, 06:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
Read this post, especially the cable adjustment information at the end.
"WARNING: DO NOT SKIP THE VERY SIMPLE AND EASY “ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE.”
... take the 2 dials you pulled off earlier, and put them back on their correct spindles.
...first, by turning the dial fully counter-clockwise and HOLD THE DIAL FIRMLY. Pull the gray casing on the cable toward the Box, to remove any slack. ..., ATTACH THE CLIP. .... Release the dial when you have it clipped down tight. "

In the picture, the left #2 arrow points to the clip securing the cable for the mode control; see the metal clip holding the end of the cable sheath? The clip for the other cable (temperature control) is under the plastic brace.

HT CREWZIN
Interestingly enough, this is a very similar setup to my '63 Buick Wildcat I used to own. I guess certain tech has already reached its pinnacle

As primarily a motorcycle mechanic, I'm tempted to see if it's a question of lubrication or if the cable has somehow shifted, causing the binding, sort of like with throttle or clutch cables.