Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
TIPM ISSUE - 2006 PT CRUISER TOURING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2015, 12:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default TIPM ISSUE - 2006 PT CRUISER TOURING

The PT cruiser was giving me codes P0700 & P0882. It was running in limp mode. Also, when I turned on the car, the gear indicator flashes intermittently on all gears....as if all the gears are selected.

After some research in forums, I narrowed it down to 2 possible problems. TIPM and/or PCM. I read sometimes all you need is flash/update the modules. I had a guy reprogram/flash the TIPM/PCM and it did not fix it. I decided to buy a cheap TIPM (junkyard), installed it and had the same guy come re-flash the TIPM to match the car's options (i.e., convertible, 2 doors, turbo, etc).

The codes went away for 1-2 days. The car meanwhile was acting odd. (One of the headlights would stay on after car was on for 5 minutes, the rear driver's break light was off, etc.....) The car does go into limp mode sometimes but all I have to do is turn off and restart and its fine.

I also read that if its going into Limp mode then the PCM has to be seeing something it does not like. ....Since I replaced the TIPM....the headlight/break light acting up tells me the unit might've not been reprogrammed correctly and that's what the PCM might not be liking. No codes though.

I decided to re-install the old part to see if it made a difference and old codes came back. Definitely feels different than the other TIPM.

My questions is, since my car is a turbo touring edition, does the TIPM have fit that specific model? I am thinking I might have gotten a defective one at junk yard and am willing to pay for a new one, but can't find it for my model. My OEM number is 56049-714AK and all the TIPM I am seeing online start with 56049-719XX

Does anyone have any sources on where to send the part to get it refurbished?

Last edited by jedi385; 29 Jul 2015 at 12:41 pm. Reason: added OEM info
Old 29 Jul 2015, 06:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: TIPM ISSUE - 2006 PT CRUISER TOURING

I don't know if this helps but Rock auto list the same TIPM p/n for your 2006 turbo as my 2008 touring non turbo. Dorman p/n 599-909 and they are supposed to be plug and play. However, they are currently out of stock. The problem is, when you click the link for alternate part numbers it does not list your 56049-714AK. I would call them and ask if they still have arrangements with Dorman for rebuild and return. O'reilly auto parts list the same p/n for $401.99 + a $200.00 core charge.
Old 29 Jul 2015, 10:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The PT Cruisers are sensitive to battery voltage drops. Has the battery been load tested with the battery in the PT Cruiser? Have you made sure there is no battery voltage drop through the battery cables? Have you checked the battery cable connectors making good contacts?

I would also suggest checking all your ground wires especially the ones going to the drivers side fender. Make sure the group of wires going to the fender does not have corrosion under need the wires making it hard to see the corrosion.

Check the wiring between the TCM and the PCM. Check the contacts on both ends. Make sure you check it with an ohm meter wiggling the wires from the TCM to the PCM.
Old 13 Aug 2015, 11:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

I should've wrote that I did all that.

I replaced the TIPM and it got rid of those codes but then a P1603 code came up, which points to a possible PCM internal failure. I sent the PCM to get repaired because I couldn’t find a replacement…I just got a call back from the place today and they said it was unrepairable.

They said I need to order it, but at this point unsure where I can find one. My PT is a touring, 2 door, turbo, convertible….Apparently this is just like the TIPM and the OEM part numbers need to match a certain sequence.

My p/n is P56049 714AK.

Finding parts for this car has been a headache….I’ve gotten my money refunded twice because they said they had it and didn’t…..Does anyone have any idea on where I can get a replacement?

Tags
p0700, p0882, pcm, tipm, turbo