PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How do I disconnect this passenger airbag harness?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2015, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How do I disconnect this passenger airbag harness?

The driver's side was easy and obvious. The passenger side harness is clipped to the seat frame, and I can't see unclipping without damaging the fragile plastic. I assumed I could disconnect the two halves of the wire at this harness, but I cannot seem to pull the lower section free.

Also, I removed the red tab from the slot. It won't go back in. What did I do? What do I do? I'm a big, dumb animal! HELP!

Restraints 80-19
Page 501
Side airbag impact control module connector

OK, I put it back together after finding the module in the Service & Repair manual. The red tab is some sort of lock. I got it out with the aid of a small screwdriver, but I don't know how I'm really supposed to remove it. Once the red lock is removed, pressing the lever at the top of the module allows the two halves to separate. The red lock must be in place before the two halves of the module are reconnected.

It is disgustingly hot out, and I'm beat. I'll try again in the morning—if someone would be so kind as to guide me in the right direction. I want to take the separate the module properly, without causing myself another trip to the shop.

I'm taking the passenger seat out to better clean the floor. I thought it would be as easy as was the driver's seat.

Last edited by KroozinNb00zin; 29 Jul 2015 at 04:15 pm.
Old 29 Jul 2015, 08:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: How do I disconnect this passenger airbag harness?

If you look closely, there is a clip to lift, before you can pop it off.
I believe that there is a video explaning this as part of the dash disassembly in the "How To" "stickies" section in the Tech Forum.
01-05 Center Dash/Console Removal

Or, this one...
Removing upper dash, bezels, and speedometer!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 30 Jul 2015, 07:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: How do I disconnect this passenger airbag harness?

That's a similar harness, but not the same. I'm talking about the one under the front passenger seat. I believe the red tab has a prong that can be freed up with a small screw driver. It locks up again once pulled roughly half way free. I do not remember exactly what I did to extract it yesterday, as its position limits visibility quite a bit. The red tab must be removed before the two halves of the harness are separated. The red tab must be back in place before the two halves can be rejoined.

Freeing the red tab properly is what I have the most issue with. I suspect there is a tool that slides into the harness behind the red lock, allowing it to be pulled free easily.

[5 minutes later]

The red locking tab does not have to be removed from the harness; it has to be pulled back to the second position, that the end of the tab disappears just inside the harness. The upper lever can then be operated to separate the two halves of the harness. The passenger seat can then be unbolted and removed from the vehicle. You must take care that the lower section of wiring does not catch on the seat frame during removal.

Last edited by KroozinNb00zin; 30 Jul 2015 at 09:06 am.