New owner here with questions..

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2015, 08:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default New owner here with questions..

Just purchased a 2002 PT Cruiser with 100,000 miles on it and have several question:

The owners manual has several maintenance schedules on it. One says to change the timing belt at 90k and the other does not. The prior owner lived out in the country so there is little stop and go driving. Is it OK to wait until next spring and have it a and the water pump changed together?

Second is the sunroof retract/forward function only works half the time. The vent function works fine. How is the overhead console removed to check or replace the switches there? I do not see any screws and I do not want to just pry it.

Third the previous owner stripped the long bolt holding the egr pipe to the intake causing a air leak there. Is it threaded into metal or just plastic? I need to find a way to tighten it.

Other then that we like it. Fun little car to drive.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New owner here with questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnciaccio View Post
Just purchased a 2002 PT Cruiser with 100,000 miles on it and have several question:

The owners manual has several maintenance schedules on it. One says to change the timing belt at 90k and the other does not. The prior owner lived out in the country so there is little stop and go driving. Is it OK to wait until next spring and have it a and the water pump changed together?

Second is the sunroof retract/forward function only works half the time. The vent function works fine. How is the overhead console removed to check or replace the switches there? I do not see any screws and I do not want to just pry it.

Third the previous owner stripped the long bolt holding the egr pipe to the intake causing a air leak there. Is it threaded into metal or just plastic? I need to find a way to tighten it.

Other then that we like it. Fun little car to drive.
First, welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

Replacing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idler pulley are preventative measures. The original timing belt used on ALL PT Cruisers has a lifespan around 100,000 miles. After this, there is a risk that while driving, the cam sprockets can jump a tooth on the belt and/or the belt can break. Since the head is designed so the valves will not hit the piston, this failure usually doesn't do damage other than strand the driver on the side of the road with a non-running PT. However, valve damage is occasionally reported and may be due to the valves hitting each other if the engine is at higher RPM's when the timing belt fails. The reports could also sometimes be due to mechanics falsely claiming valve damage to increase the repair bill.

So, if you drive your PT Cruiser with over 100,000 miles without having the timing belt changed, you are taking a risk. It's should be noted that some owners report driving over 200,000 miles without timing belt failure. But these are the exceptions. There are many many reports of the belt failing near or after 100,000 miles.

Costs for this repair will vary a lot depending on where you live. The average cost reported here range from about $1,000 to $1,500. However, if you have the ability you can do the job yourself for less than $300. There's lots of good threads on this forum that show how to do the job. I did a Sebring with the 2.4L engine and I just completed the timing belt job along with several other modifications to the engine in my 2005 PT GT.

On the issue of the sunroof, you may find that the problem is that the plastic rails have broken. This can cause the back/forward action of the roof to jamb. This happened on my 2001 Limited. The way to check is the put the sunroof in open vent position. Then inspect the plastic levers on both sides that hold the back of the sunroof up. Often, near the back (top) of these levers, they will be broke out the pins that ride in the grooves on the levers may be out of the track.

If this is the case, you can buy a repair kit for the sunroof on eBay or you can just install a good mechanism from a salvage yard. I did that in my GT. Here's a link:

The Handy 2005 GT Modification and Upgrade Thread
boonie2 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Aug 2015 at 09:13 am.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 11:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

OK. Sounds like its true about the timing belts failing. I will go ahead and due it myself as I have changed them in several vehicles in the past with no problems. I take it for 300 dollars it includes the water pump?

I think I cannot see what you mean about the rails. The part with the metal rods look like it has broken in two.

It is a shame Chrystler did not make the changes to these along with the bumper marks and cracked dash. It really tarnishes the rep of what should be fun little cars.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 01:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You can often find a good sunroof in the junkyards. They are tedious to remove and install but not difficult. There are threads here on this replacement procedure.
If you find a good 01 sunroof as my son did it will fully retract into the roof rathe thank having the 2-3" protruding out like the 02-10s.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 02:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

As far as your third question: If your talking the long bolt of the two that screws in back of the upper manifold, It screws into plastic of the rear of the manifold.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 09:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The ERG pipe bolts to the back of the intake manifold through brass inserts. It may be possible to re-thread the insert.

But if it was me, I'd just go to the salvage yard and pick up a used manifold. I found this one on the ground at the salvage yard today. I thought of your questions and snapped a photo. You can see what the brass inserts look like.

CREWZIN likes this.
Old 01 Aug 2015, 09:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I found out about the brass insert into a rubber dampener. Not a good design. The rubber seal is a bit old and fails to completely seal it now. Slightly annoying whistle but I found a way to put enough pressure to fix that.

On the sunroof the driver side rail had a very small bolt that held the front rail to a large piece going across the back. Looking for a detailed picture of the assembly to understand it better.

The sun roof still works only sometimes. When it does not I can not hear anything at all. If the rail is broken does the motor or anything make a noise? I still think it may be a bad connection since I can move it back and forth with no problem but after driving it may or may not work. Maybe knocking things around will get to the bottom!