Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 A/C problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2015, 11:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 A/C problem

Hello my name is Jay and I just joined this forum. I bought my 2001 new and it currently has 63,000 original miles on it. I am experiencing an A/C problem for the first time that I have not been able to figure out. My compressor will not come on at all. I have jumped out the low pressure switch and the auxiliary fan comes on like it should but the compressor will not come on. I have also jumped out the high pressure switch and nothing comes on meaning not the fan or the compressor. I have checked the 10 amp A/C fuse and put in a new A/C relay in the junction box and still the compressor will not come on. It was working perfectly and then without notice it just stopped coming on. The A/C system on this car has never been opened or serviced in any way. The car has never been wrecked and has never been altered from its delivered condition other than a new auxiliary fan which is working properly and the car does not ever over heat. I do not have gauges to check for freon but I believe that all should be good as it has always cooled very well. I think my problem is just connected to the compressor not coming on. Can anyone make any suggestions as to how I can get the compressor to turn on.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jay
Old 02 Aug 2015, 01:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 A/C problem

Possibilities I can think of:

Just because you changed relay doesn't mean its getting pulled in to send 12 volts to the clutch. I'd take the cover off the old relay and operate it manually to see if the compressor comes on

Check for voltage at the connection on the compressor
No 12 volts- check wires to relay

If you have 12 volts:
The electric clutch is probably bad

Neither
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 02 Aug 2015, 10:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hello Joe,
Thank you for these suggestions to check. I was not aware that the cover would come off of the relay. Can you please tell me how to remove it. Also you mentioned the electric clutch. Is there a way for me to check that. How do I access the area to get to the top of the compressor where the connector is located. I do not seem to be able to get to it from the top. How much dis-assembly is required to get to it. I am limited on what work I can do myself but I would like to continue to troubleshoot this problem to see if I can at least find out the cause and then I might have to send it in for repair.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Jay
713-253-0475
Old 03 Aug 2015, 09:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Can someone please tell me how to reach the connector on the A/C compressor on my 2001. I cannot seem to reach it from either the top or the bottom. I would like to check the connector to see if I am getting power to it. Is some dis assembly required to get to it ?

Thanks
Jay
Old 03 Aug 2015, 11:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you checked your radiator fan?

Take out the low speed fan relay and start the engine. See if the high speed fan kicks in. By taking out the low speed fan relay it forces the high speed fan to run all the time. See if it starts the high speed fan. You will get an engine trouble code for P0480.
Old 04 Aug 2015, 09:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post

Take out the low speed fan relay and start the engine. See if the high speed fan kicks in. By taking out the low speed fan relay it forces the high speed fan to run all the time. See if it starts the high speed fan. You will get an engine trouble code for P0480.
Hello Steve,

Yes I just replaced the fan and it works on both low and high speeds. I jumped out the low pressure switch and the fan came right on but the compressor will not kick in. That is why I want to reach the connector at the compressor and see if I have power there.

Thanks
Jay
Old 06 Aug 2015, 10:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:

Hello Steve,

I removed the low speed fan relay as you suggested and the high speed fan kicked on immediately. I did get the engine code that you stated and have since cleared it. The A/C compressor still did not come on. Does anyone have a copy of the A/C electrical diagram that you can send to me at deejaydu@sbcglobal.net

These 100 plus degree days are killing me so I have to get this fixed as soon as possible. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Jay
Old 06 Aug 2015, 11:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you get some A/C gauges so you can post what the high side pressure and low side pressure is. We need more information before we can properly diagnose the problem.
Old 10 Aug 2015, 10:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am still in need of a good A/C wiring diagram. Can anybody help me with one . Has anybody ever experienced this same problem that I am having with the compressor not kicking in even after jumping out the low pressure switch. I think that it must be something simple since the system is fully charged. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jay
Old 13 Aug 2015, 10:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
I would suggest you get some A/C gauges so you can post what the high side pressure and low side pressure is. We need more information before we can properly diagnose the problem.
Steve I took my car to the shop and they put the gauges on it and to my surprise the low pressure side was low and so the shop recommended adding some freon. I have to say that I was skeptical but agreed to have them put in one can only. The compressor did in fact come on and started cooling. I am totally confused because I jumped out the low pressure switch and only the high speed fan came on. So what gives? This car has never had any A/C work of any kind in 15 years until that can of freon was added today. It has always cooled and then just overnight it stops working. I am baffeled. The shop said there are no signs of any leaks anywhere and just said to monitor it. They charged me $40.00 to put in one can of 134. Is that a normal price. I thought that it was high.

Jay