PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
09 PT Overheating, stumbles while idle, A/C blows Pressure out of a valve next Rtire

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By soyomb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2015, 11:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 09 PT Overheating, stumbles while idle, A/C blows Pressure out of a valve next Rtire

I have a 09 PT that keeps overheating when I am at idle too long without AC on or when I do have AC on it overheats while at idle only, but is good at higher speeds. When at Idle, with AC on it sometimes sounds like a loud blowing noise of pressure next to the pass. Tire. And if I have the a/c on at idle it sounds like the car stumbles. I replace the thermostat already. How do I go about troubleshooting? What should I check next
Old 03 Aug 2015, 12:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 09 PT Overheating, stumbles while idle, A/C blows Pressure out of a valve next Rt

Check to see if the fan is working on both speeds. One of the most common overheating problems is when the radiator fan isn't working properly.
soyomb and Bishop_usmc like this.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 03 Aug 2015, 01:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 09 PT Overheating, stumbles while idle, A/C blows Pressure out of a valve next Rt

ok I don't think it is working on low. if I buy a whole fan assembly will that fix both speeds, or do I need to do something with relays or fuses?
Old 03 Aug 2015, 01:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Yes, both fan speeds will be new. I would go for a Dorman fan with a lifetime warranty. Should be able to get one under $100 on Rockauto, Amazon, or one of the auto store chains.
Bishop_usmc likes this.
Old 03 Aug 2015, 03:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank Yall so much for the help, troubleshooting is not my strong point.
Old 03 Aug 2015, 09:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking to make sure the radiator fan low speed is bad before buying a new one. Check the wire harness radiator fan plug. Make sure all contacts and pins are good. Check the low speed on the fan with 12 volts. See if it comes on. Check the radiator fan low speed relay and make sure it working properly.

Tags
a/c, overheating engine, rough idle