PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fuel pump question oem or ebay ?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2015, 01:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to partyd
Default Fuel pump question oem or ebay ?

My fuel pump is falling turns off when the car gets hot, the car runs only 20 minutes and stops, there is no noise from the fuel tank, If I leave it alone for 2 hours i can hear the pump noise from the fuel tank when the ignition is on and the vehicle will start, now i have 20 minutes to go and come back home.

I need a new pump
auto parts $260.00 for the whole kit
eBay $36.00 for the decent one ( pump only ) some cheap ones are $14.00

Do I need to replace everything ? or jus the pump ?
can i open the white canister without causing any damage and just replace the pump ?

thank you

2006 pt cruiser
2008 Chrysler Pacifica awd

Last edited by partyd; 03 Aug 2015 at 01:51 pm.
Old 03 Aug 2015, 01:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel pump question oem or ebay ?

you know il right there with ya i need one for my daily driver and its the same thing over $2000 at NAPA and under $75 on ebay i think you will need everything
Old 03 Aug 2015, 02:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm all about the bargain. But I'd be careful on super cheap eBay fuel pumps. The reason is because a bad fuel pump will leave you stranded at the most inopportune moment. And unless your fuel gauge sending unit is bad, you likely don't need anything but a new pump and strainer.

RockAuto has some good choices. The Denso is $79. And you can get the Denso at Advance Auto for about the same price if you use the code TRT30 which will get you 30% off. And RockAuto has the AirTex for about $90. You should check them out.

PS: You are going to laugh, but the best price on the Denso fuel pump is Walmart for $60. Yes - Walmart. You will need to make sure this part number is for your PT. Here's the link:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/DENSO-950-...p-Kit/42401552
partyd likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Aug 2015 at 02:12 pm.
Old 03 Aug 2015, 02:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i changed just the pump on mine using a second hand pump from a member here (thanks again OurPTGT!). worked great and saved me a bundle.

i'd go for the "(decent one)" assuming that means its new and brand name, like walbro
Old 03 Aug 2015, 02:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to partyd

I rather pay a few dollars more and support an auto parts store ( I hate wallsuck ) and not buying auto parts from a grocery store, Im going with the Denso from RockAuto

but the main question is how difficult is to open the canister to replace the pump, its simple to open and put back together ?
2008 Chrysler Pacifica awd
Old 03 Aug 2015, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've never done one on a PT Cruiser, thankfully. But I have done one on a Sebring convertible which appears to have a very similar fuel tank. I did the Sebring in a about two hours. I would have been one hour but unscrewing that rim on the top of the tank was a little difficult. You may need a large strap wrench or similar to get it off without damaging it. Or you might be able to just peck it off. It just matters how tight it is.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Aug 2015 at 03:06 pm.
Old 03 Aug 2015, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

IMO changing the fuel pump is an afternoon job. That said is you are pretty secure with your DIY abilities most all the fuel pumps are ok even the very inexpensive ones. We keep disregarding electrical parts manufactured in forien countries as cheap low quality. This is dinosaur thinking for the most part anymore. Asian countries are strong competition in the manufacture world and want to change the global opinion about them.

We can read about responses on the forum from members that have changed fuel pump years ago using name brand fuel pumps and some that have changed their pumps in the last few years. Neither really established any record of failures due to origin of manufacture or presumed or assumed quality of the part.

If you are not racing then buy what you conscience and pocket book tells you to get. IMHO I think you will be fine with what ever your choice is!

My personal choice is Highflow Fuel Sytems # HFP-RTNK
( I keep an extra on hand.) I currently run one is in my PT Cruiser and I have installed one in a customers PT 2 years ago for an 2006.

This is fuel pump only.
IMHO as well tested independently by RC Injectors...this is a better performing fuel pump and equal quality to others mention in this thread.

Yes I know what the application says it is for!

BTW unscrewing the top ring is is easy clean with WD-40 wipe off then re-apply WD-40 and with a piece of clean wood and a soft mallet applying light taps evenly on the tabs . easy-pesey! The Arkansas way of DIY parts removal!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 09 Aug 2015 at 11:52 pm.
Old 03 Aug 2015, 09:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyd View Post
I rather pay a few dollars more and support an auto parts store ( I hate wallsuck ) and not buying auto parts from a grocery store, Im going with the Denso from RockAuto

but the main question is how difficult is to open the canister to replace the pump, its simple to open and put back together ?

DITTO

Old 04 Aug 2015, 07:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post

My personal choice is Highflow Fuel Sytems # HFP-RTNK
can you provide a link or at least verify you typed the part number correctly? only place on the internet google finds that is in your post.
Old 04 Aug 2015, 10:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
can you provide a link or at least verify you typed the part number correctly? only place on the internet google finds that is in your post.

Today just for you.
When you see the application...

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN