Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replaced PCM and ran a few minutes and now no start

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2015, 09:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replaced PCM and ran a few minutes and now no start (UPDATE)

I ordered a rebuilt PCM from the Auto Computer Exchange in Florida. I installed it and the car started and was running ok but still idling rough. I drove it and it smoothed out a little but would still die immediately when you let off the gas. At speed it was smooth and responsive. The car died turning into my drive. It would not start. No click or anything. All dash lights where working as was the fuel pump. Then it suddenly cranked and started after several tries. I made it to the driveway and it died again and now will not click the solenoid or anything. All dash lights etc. are working still.

I have a gray key and the red security light comes on briefly during the cluster light check and then go out. No codes are displaying during the key dance check. Battery is fully charged and checks out well. The car is a 2002 PT non turbo with a 2.4L engine and automatic. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by flyingvranch; 04 Aug 2015 at 10:44 am. Reason: Updated info
Old 03 Aug 2015, 09:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Replaced PCM and ran a few minutes and now no start

Why did you replace the PCM..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 03 Aug 2015, 09:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Why did you replace the PCM..??
I had the timing belt replaced. Right after that I started getting the p 601 error code (I think p601) that shows the computer is bad. I've never really had the car running well since the timing belt was replaced, so I may be piling problems on one another but I need it to crank in order to continue diagnosing.
Old 03 Aug 2015, 10:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you give the Auto Computer Exchange the VIN and Skim codes to program into the rebuilt PCM?
Old 03 Aug 2015, 11:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

When I ordered a replacement PCM all that was required was mileage and VIN YEAR. Yes the Plug and Play worked.

Being your PT is a 2001 its possible the starter brushes are worn out or the cable to ground or 12 volt are loose dirty or rusted.

if it was running smooth before belt change your rough running engine after belt change could be as simple as not pushing the spark plug wires all
the way into the coil, bag plug wire or ------ Your off on the belt timing by a tooth.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 03 Aug 2015 at 11:38 pm.
Old 04 Aug 2015, 01:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
When I ordered a replacement PCM all that was required was mileage and VIN YEAR. Yes the Plug and Play worked.
With Auto Computer Exchange they require you fill out this form out.

http://autocomputerexchange.net/Retu...20Form-new.pdf

Many posts about after buying a PCM from Auto Computer Exchange after installing it and starting the car it dies with "Security Key" code showing on diagnostic device. One post says Auto Computer Exchange just programs out the SKIM . Someone else had a problem with their PCM coming up with the VIN # came up as not matching.

Some posts complaining about having to take it to the dealer to have the PCM programmed. Plug & Play ???????????????

Also it seems Auto Computer Exchange charge a reprogram fee and stocking fee of $100.00. for returning their PCM's.

Top 23 Complaints and Reviews about Auto Computer Exchange

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 04 Aug 2015 at 01:03 am.
Old 04 Aug 2015, 05:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post

Many posts about after buying a PCM from Auto Computer Exchange after installing it and starting the car it dies with "Security Key" code showing on diagnostic device. One post says Auto Computer Exchange just programs out the SKIM . Someone else had a problem with their PCM coming up with the VIN # came up as not matching.

Some posts complaining about having to take it to the dealer to have the PCM programmed. Plug & Play ???????????????

Also it seems Auto Computer Exchange charge a reprogram fee and stocking fee of $100.00. for returning their PCM's.

Where do you all suggest that I buy another PCM? I need it to be online preferably.
Old 04 Aug 2015, 07:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post

Being your PT is a 2001 its possible the starter brushes are worn out or the cable to ground or 12 volt are loose dirty or rusted.

if it was running smooth before belt change your rough running engine after belt change could be as simple as not pushing the spark plug wires all
the way into the coil, bag plug wire or ------ Your off on the belt timing by a tooth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post

I bought one from them and all went fine. If you were able to drive it. You don't have a security problem. The car would start and die after a few seconds and light would flash. After about 6 tries no more turning over Until you insert the proper key. No mater if you disconnect the battery or whatever. It will not turn over the starter until you insert the correct key.

So this is not your problem. Because you have driven it and sometimes it turns over. Look at JoeX post and clean the grounds and positive cables at both ends. If you lose battery connection it will die. Rough idle is timing off. I did not have to fill out any form. They told me what they needed off the pcm and serial and mileage that was all. All companies will have complaints if you look for it. Part of doing business. Turn your key on and jump the starter to see if it turns over from there. If so, could be a worn ignition for the no start problem. This should not affect the running once started.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Aug 2015, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest a battery load test. This is the first thing you do when you have starting problems.
Old 04 Aug 2015, 08:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I bought one from them and all went fine. If you were able to drive it. You don't have a security problem. The car would start and die after a few seconds and light would flash. After about 6 tries no more turning over Until you insert the proper key. No mater if you disconnect the battery or whatever. It will not turn over the starter until you insert the correct key.

So this is not your problem. Because you have driven it and sometimes it turns over. Look at JoeX post and clean the grounds and positive cables at both ends. If you lose battery connection it will die. Rough idle is timing off. I did not have to fill out any form. They told me what they needed off the pcm and serial and mileage that was all. All companies will have complaints if you look for it. Part of doing business. Turn your key on and jump the starter to see if it turns over from there. If so, could be a worn ignition for the no start problem. This should not affect the running once started.
Do they get back to you if they can't get the information off of the original PCM? Can they really get the SKIM code?