Old 03 Aug 2015, 10:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PCM?? HELP!

2001 crusier/103,000 mi/
@98,000 replaced transmission=$2500
99,000 new batter-$110
100,000 drive belt-$900
100.000 NEW TIRES $600
After drive belt air conditioner stopped blowing cold air, took it back in. Need new condenser ($575) screw that. Driving home oil light came on. pulled over waited ( went and had a beer) checked oil and coolant,,,,all good.
throwing a check engine light...took it to trans guys, the codes its throwing is impossible, they said, because the codes show the car not moving while they are driving it ...they say electicial problem. Driving to mechanic , check oil ligh t on , over heating.......Leave at MechaNIC FOR 4 days!!! He says new computer ($900)
Oh yeah when I went to pick up pt at mechanics had a flat tire due to nail. they act like it is not their fault. It was not there when I brought it in.
WTF? HELP! Live in LOng Beach Area , California...any good PT mechanics??
Old 03 Aug 2015, 10:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PCM?? HELP!

I would suggest you get a OBDII Scan Tool and get the diagnostic trouble codes. You can post these codes here and we can give you some ideas on how to diagnose the problem.
Old 07 Aug 2015, 04:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

I cant move my car I turn it on and it smokes. P0700 is the code I get . I am going to run this POS off a cliff. Mechanics clOSE?
Old 07 Aug 2015, 08:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest taking the PT Cruiser to a transmission shop. Most transmission shops will give you the transmission codes that you need to narrow down what the problem is. Post what the codes are so we can give you some suggestions to fix the problem.

I would also suggest checking the crankshaft wire harness from the crankshaft sensor to the PCM. Many PT Cruisers of your year model have had the wires rubbing on the halfshaft or rubbing on ground burning up the wires causing random diagnostic trouble codes.

Is it blowing white or blue smoke?

When you have electrical problems the first thing you want to do is check your battery and battery cables. Make sure they are making good contacts. Have a battery load test done with the battery in the PT Cruiser. Check all ground wires including the ones going to the driver's fender.

Have you replaced your radiator fan? With the engine cold, start the engine and turn on the A/C. Does the radiator fan automatically come on?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 07 Aug 2015 at 08:27 am.
Old 13 Aug 2015, 07:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Codes are :P0720. P0740, P073, P0700, P0442, P0456....waiting on NEW PCM and aux fan replacement... took it to a new place that put everything in writing and they told me PCM had been tampered with. What a nightmare....
Old 13 Aug 2015, 07:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Oh as a side note, the air conditioner, which was the only constant in this car. mysteriously stopped blowing cold air after the drive belt and water pump were changed.
Old 13 Aug 2015, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

New PCM can be had for $140 shipped with lifetime warranty from AutoComputerExchange.

The problem is that your PCM may not be bad at all. And some of the other prices you have paid for mechanic work sound rather disturbing. Plus, many of your issues may have well been caused by shoddy mechanic work.

Here's some hard advice. If you cannot work on your own car, you really shouldn't be driving a relatively high mileage 2001 PT Cruiser. That car is worth only about $2,500 in perfect condition and as little as $1,000 in drivable but so so condition. And it will continue to need love and maintenance to keep it going. I know. I had one just like it.

Sadly, it's likely time to go find a much newer low mileage car that will last a while without needed thousands of dollars in repairs.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Aug 2015 at 07:58 am.
Old 13 Aug 2015, 08:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

I am soooo upside down with this car already but I am learning to work on it. Putting in the PCM tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Handy_Cruiser and Cashew like this.
Old 13 Aug 2015, 08:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Is your transmission still under warranty? I would suggest taking it back and have them look at it if it is.
Old 13 Aug 2015, 11:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Oh I took it back the transmission guys, hooked up the reader, took for a drive and told me it was electrical, because the codes it was throwing could not be because the codes saw the car not moving and he was driving it..Who the hell knows...I am starting to hate mechanics....no offense to the ones that are honest....few and far in between. Thanks for the input all.