Advertisements
Overheat and stuck oil filler

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2015, 02:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheat and stuck oil filler

Hi All
Have a 2003 PT. She overheated (outside temp 103F) while driving about three miles. Normally does that only when using AC. No AC this time. Wife was in her when the car started to rumble and vibrate like a flat tire. Made it home, and jumped out thought it was going to blow!
Never got into the red. Let it cool and saw no coolant in the fill tube. No grey guck on the rad cap. Tried to check the oil cap for guck, thing is stuck! ratchets one way, but nothing the other. Don't want to force it.
Normally, the temp stays at the 1/2 way mark no matter what (cept with AC).
Have seen that between the rad and the intercooler there can be a debris build up. Is this true? And any ideas on getting the oil filer cap off?
Old 06 Aug 2015, 03:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Overheat and stuck oil filler

Should come off after the engine cools down

.mine won't come off when the engine is hot either. .

Old 06 Aug 2015, 03:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Refilled the rad with clear water, topped the overflow (can't see inside too cloudy felt empty) Drove the heck out of her. No overheat. As with most Chryslers probably a small crack in the overflow. Leaking slowly onto the engine system and evaporating. Over time rad gets low. Will check on that.
Oil cap is still stuck!
Had green coolant in it (car was a gift to my wife from our son) Will replace with the red / Orange. Green is BAD! When performing absolutely properly, it promotes overheating. Too many silicates.
Clear water is 32% better than coolants at transmitting heat from the engine. Coolants have no antirust additives. However I would recommend the red or orange coolants for your car, any car.
Old 06 Aug 2015, 04:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I use the green stuff. 267k miles, no issues.
LionPT likes this.
Old 06 Aug 2015, 05:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Glad to hear it. Green coolant is high in silicates. Not even legal anywhwere else i the world but the US.
Original design was to coat the entire cooling system with the whit silicate build up you are all familiar with. prevents leaks (sort of) New ELC coolants do not have silacatea at all. New technology, sort of a "Smart Molecule". It can actually sense where a leak or wear to the system is, and covet the spot only. Eventually wears off and is replenished at the same spot only.
Silicates are like sand. They will abrade your system wherever a right angle flow of water is present. Ever seen a radiator where a hole has worn right in front of where the hose connects. That's the silicates. Also the "Sand" in the bottom of old radiators.
Spoke to the PHD Chemist at Texaco who designed the current green stuff, where I got all the info. He also recommends the ELC now (designed that as well)
Check me out here https://www.linkedin.com/pub/hawk-ho...ils/16/584/206 Hawk is a nick name. In case you think I'm spoofin you.
Old 06 Aug 2015, 05:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Many modern antifreezes (yellow green) have advanced corrosion inhibitors and don't create the sludge like in the orange/pink Duracool stuff. I've never had a corrosion or sludge issue with the older green or modern yellow Prestone antifreeze. I've only had these issues with Duracool and with engines that used water for coolant.

Also, Duracool is much worse for the environment. I once did an environmental cleanup behind a car dealership where the floor drains flow out into a forested area. They had been draining the Duracool down the floor drains. I did soil testing for the constituents in Duracool and found massive amount in the soil and nearby stream and it selectively killed the vegetation. The soil we ended up removing had to go for hazardous waste disposal.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Aug 2015 at 06:15 pm.
Old 06 Aug 2015, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

There was a time between the older green freezes and the newer red / orange ones, where if you mixed them they turned to jello.
Those times are past. Green mostly BAD, red / Orange ELC's GOOD. I've analyzed and sold this stuf all around the world, including oceangoing vessels.
Currently the only toxic materials in "Antifreeze" is Ethylene and Propylene glycols. These both degrade into carbon dioxide with a half life of 30 days.
Only California treats Antifreeze as a hazardous material.
Had to edit this before you get all excited! NEW antifreeze is non hazardous, used antifreeze mixed with gluck from your dealership is not. Antifreeze drained from a cooling system will have contaminants and heavy metals, HAZARDOUS. New stuff not, this also goes for motor oils. Drivers do not need a hazmat license to transport drummed freeze and oils.

Last edited by Petrohawk; 06 Aug 2015 at 07:48 pm.
Old 07 Aug 2015, 12:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrohawk View Post
There was a time between the older green freezes and the newer red / orange ones, where if you mixed them they turned to jello.
Those times are past. Green mostly BAD, red / Orange ELC's GOOD. I've analyzed and sold this stuf all around the world, including oceangoing vessels.
Currently the only toxic materials in "Antifreeze" is Ethylene and Propylene glycols. These both degrade into carbon dioxide with a half life of 30 days.
Only California treats Antifreeze as a hazardous material.
Had to edit this before you get all excited! NEW antifreeze is non hazardous, used antifreeze mixed with gluck from your dealership is not. Antifreeze drained from a cooling system will have contaminants and heavy metals, HAZARDOUS. New stuff not, this also goes for motor oils. Drivers do not need a hazmat license to transport drummed freeze and oils.
Yes,

Here's the hazardous ingredients in Zerex G-05 HOAT orange antifreeze.

ETHYLENE GLYCOL
DIETHYLENE GLYCOL
SODIUM BENZOATE
SODIUM TETRABORATE

Here's the hazardous ingredients in Prestone Dex-Cool Orange and Prestone Extended Life Yellow Antifreeze that I like. They are the SAME in both Prestone Antifreezes:

Ethylene Glycol
Diethylene Glycol
2-Ethyl Hexanoic Acid, Sodium Salt
Neodecanoic Acid, Sodium Salt

You see, Prestone has updated their products but is still throwing in some orange coloring and providing a product for those that are using old information and believe there's something magical about orange antifreeze.

Not all orange antifreezes are the same. Prestone is the most up-to-date I've found across their range of antifreeze products.

And I'd like the name of the antifreeze you reference dealing with. It's very strange that you list propylene glycol. That is used in chiller applications and usually not automobile. At least not in the US.

PS: Drivers do not need a hazmat license to transport many type hazardous materials as long as they don't transport over 1,000 pounds of each one. That's why Walmart makes sure every pallet with chemicals weighs under 1,000 pounds. You can carry many thousands of pounds of hazardous materials in one truck as long as no individual hazardous material is over 1,000 pounds. And of course, OSHA, EPA and DOT do not necessarily classify hazardous materials the same way. I teach this course.
Petrohawk likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 07 Aug 2015 at 01:17 pm.
Old 07 Aug 2015, 07:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrohawk View Post
Oil cap is still stuck! .
A little milky stuff inside the oil cap would be normal anyways. The dip stick or drain pan is the place is bad to see.

Did you get it off yet? I find it a little bit funny you're afraid to turn it. I don't mean that like a jerk. You're a man, it's an oil cap. Turn the damn thing
Old 07 Aug 2015, 09:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Yes,

Here's the hazardous ingredients in Zerex G-05 HOAT orange antifreeze.

ETHYLENE GLYCOL
DIETHYLENE GLYCOL
SODIUM BENZOATE
SODIUM TETRABORATE

Here's the hazardous ingredients in Prestone Dex-Cool Orange and Prestone Extended Life Yellow Antifreeze that I like. They are the SAME in both Prestone Antifreezes:

Ethylene Glycol
Diethylene Glycol
2-Ethyl Hexanoic Acid, Sodium Salt
Neodecanoic Acid, Sodium Salt

You see, Prestone has updated their products but is still throwing in some orange coloring and providing a product for those that are using old information and believe there's something magical about orange antifreeze.

Not all orange antifreezes are the same. Prestone is the most up-to-date I've found across their range of antifreeze products.

And I'd like the name of the antifreeze you reference dealing with. It's very strange that you list propylene glycol. That is used in chiller applications and usually not automobile. At least not in the US.

PS: Drivers do not need a hazmat license to transport many type hazardous materials as long as they don't transport over 1,000 pounds of each one. That's why Walmart makes sure every pallet with chemicals weighs under 1,000 pounds. You can carry many thousands of pounds of hazardous materials in one truck as long as no individual hazardous material is over 1,000 pounds. And of course, OSHA, EPA and DOT do not necessarily classify hazardous materials the same way. I teach this course.

Texaco Extended Life Coolant (non-nitrite-Red) I listed Propylene Glycol because of a trend in the past to use this thinking it was safe because of the "Sierra" commercials. It pops up in conversation now and then.
Apparently I need to update my knowledge in coolants.
The last time I really delved into coolant composition, was before Chevron acquired Texaco. Texaco had developed the ELC product first. The they had a deal with Shell called "Equilon" so Shell acquired the formula. Then Texaco merged with Chevron, and then They had it as well.
I had a request from a cruise line for a non-haz coolant ELC, that would pass the fish test. Pulled the Ethylene Glycol from Tex's ELC, dyed it purple, and received approval from the Coast Guard and Fish and Game Calif.
What is your opinion on the Green (I now assume high silicate) coolant Vs. the Red OAT ELC's? I bow to your expertise! Time for a call to refresh my knowledge. Science advances.