Advertisements
FYI and I hope this somehow Helps others

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2015, 08:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default FYI and I hope this somehow Helps others

Hi "Everyone"

I am writing this for a few, which I feel are very GOOD reasons.

1. I wanted to say Goodbye to all of you GREAT individuals who graciously took and take their precious time to Help out totally novice DIY's such as myself and I will forever be truly Grateful for the forum originator and moderator in CREWZIN, the super Help from Great individuals such as NitroPT, rob342, Busted PT, Handy_Cruiser and all the other Super individuals that graciously offered up their expertise, suggestions and especially their precious time, as I unfortunately had a very unexpected situation happen to my 06 PT Cruiser 4-Door Touring Edition 2.4L - 57,000 and it in turn made me make the tormenting decision to get rid of it, which I in fact did.

2. My sisters from NY came to stay with me in FL for a while and one of them wanted to use the PT to go to the local Barnes & Noble to get a good book to read, which of course I said an un-hesitated Yes to, and upon returning back home she came into the house extremely frantic and upset and told me that she accidentally put the key in the ignition backwards and just could not get it out for nothing.

I went outside to try and remove the key yet no matter how much jiggling I did to the key it definitely was very and unfortunately true. I could not understand how the ignition cylinder was able to accept the key if it could not go in the wrong way and then come out, yet it did and Unbelievably started up the car so she could return home as well.

Once home with the ignition shut off and the key jammed stuck the car would not start any longer and acted just like it did if I put a dummy remake of the Key Fob was inserted in the ignition, which I only had made in case of a lockout of the car doors Emergency, as it would allow you to open all doors yet once you tried to start the car it would turn over the engine for a few seconds and than immediately shut down engaging the special shut off feature.

Needless to say the 06 PT and probably on up did not unfortunately have the release hole on the steering column to release the entire ignition cylinder with key and all, just like many YouTube videos and google searches showed for its earlier models, so my only alternative was to have the car towed to the local Dealer, which I did, yet when I got the Absolutely Unbelievable Unexpected estimate of over $1,000 and over 2 weeks wait for the parts to fix it, I offered up the car to the Dealer's Service advisor for that $1,000 and he called me back within in hours and a friend of his took the car.

Yes, I just put drill & slotted rotors and ceramic pads on it, Yes I replaced both 02 Sensors with Mopar originals, Yes I replaced both Headlight Lenses and added Factory fog-lights with the new Multifunction switch, Yes I converted the car to Synthetic oil with a K & N filter and put in new plugs and MSD wires and Yes the car was just repainted last year, so Why did I get rid of it Right?

Well all I can and will say is this, I Always hated the Lousy cloth interior in the 06 PT as one would just sweat and it would easily spot stain and just is a real H___ to clean and keep clean. The car in 06 obviously wasn't popular for whatever reason, as it is just virtually impossible to get good sound guidance and information on throughout many Internet searches. The car is just very disheartening in gas mileage and in stop and go driving it just seems to Look for gas stations and I just did not want to sink any further monies into what was just a Basic Standard Model vehicle.

3. What I Truly want to say is, All Owners of the 06 PT Cruisers and probably on up, Please be Real Careful not to have anyone that wants to use your car put the Key-Fob in the ignition the wrong way, as you may very sadly find yourself in the very Unbelievable scenario and situation I Shockingly encountered and Yes I know the BIG expense is the Dreaded and Feared Timing Belt, yet take it form me, this Unbelievable and Unexpected obvious Flaw is not that far costly off as well.

I realize that probably all Dealerships are just Outright Heartless Crooks (Stealerships to be EXACT) yet this scenario and fix was definitely out of my league, especially as a basic DIY'r, as they said not only did it require a new ignition cylinder yet what brought the price up Unbelievably high was the needed replacement of a Keyless Entry Immobilizer, which is mounted on the ignition cylinder and which in fact broke and that whole process involves rekeying a new Key-Fob and programing the new Immobilizer to access the entire car entry locks as well.

At any rate and Finally, the car is now gone and no longer mine so once again and as Sincerely as I can possibly say this, Thank you "Everyone for Everything" and may you & yours have many Great years PT Cruising and Stay Healthy & Happy Always!

Best Regards Always,
Sal D. (aka...SDeP)

Last edited by SDeP; 07 Aug 2015 at 08:56 pm.
Old 08 Aug 2015, 02:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: FYI and I hope this somehow Helps others

Wow! That is good to know about the upside down key. I actually tried that last week just to see if it would work.. It did but I guess I'm lucky it didn't get stuck.

I have a 2008 touring with 47K and got a letter in the mail last month from my local Chrysler dealer offering $3,200 trade in value. LOL :rolleyes This is the same dealership that has one of the new Challenger Hell Cats sitting in the showroom with a sticker price of $60K and an additional $30K dealer markup. Yes they want $90,000.

What did you buy to replace the PT?
Old 08 Aug 2015, 04:51 am
Cool Cruiser

I had no idea you could even get the key in upside down. Mine won't, at least I don't think.

Old 08 Aug 2015, 08:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Wow, what a story. Never heard of that one before and there must be something completely different with the 2nd Gen cars. My key can go in any way you grab it and I'm thinking just maybe it wasn't your key but something went wrong inside the ignition switch which won't let the key come out but no matter what, the deal is done. Glad the forum helped you out. A word of caution when you go to buy your next ride: if it's used, check it out really good as the market is being "flooded" (excuse the pun) with cars that have been caught in this latest round of extremely wet weather down here in the south and problems of that kind sometimes don't show up for a long time after they dry out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Aug 2015, 08:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggydog View Post
Wow! That is good to know about the upside down key. I actually tried that last week just to see if it would work.. It did but I guess I'm lucky it didn't get stuck.

I have a 2008 touring with 47K and got a letter in the mail last month from my local Chrysler dealer offering $3,200 trade in value. LOL :rolleyes This is the same dealership that has one of the new Challenger Hell Cats sitting in the showroom with a sticker price of $60K and an additional $30K dealer markup. Yes they want $90,000.

What did you buy to replace the PT?
Hi soggydog,

Yes I do believe you did get Lucky and I definitely would not suggest you try putting in the key backwards again, as you just might sadly have what Unbelievably happen to me.

A recent acquaintance mentioned something to me about my recent scenario saying, if the key should not be placed in the ignition backwards then it should have a Clearly marked Warning mounted on the steering column somewhere visibly indicating such and encouraged me to Sue Chrysler and I told them, that and a Dollar just might get one a cup of coffee and I just Hope that my Unbelievable and Unfortunate scenario just might save others from having the same thing happen to them.

In regards to your question, my sisters have decided to relocate to FL with me and we all 3 have our own individuals Losses to come to this decision as my Beautiful wife decided to leave me for Cancer in 97 at the age of 36 and I have chosen to remain single since, my older, yet younger sister lost her husband to pancreatic cancer in 2012, and the youngest sister just ended a 15 year live-in relationship, so they have greatly stressed that they want to look after me, even though I do just thankfully fine on my own, so we decided to get a 3 bedroom house and all live together,, which now adds 2 Honda's to the scheme and because I am retired I am believing that having the access to any of their cars when needed is all I would ever need.

How automobiles have reached such Absolutely Absurd prices is just a Real Crying Shame yet when we can Ridiculously watch and give the so-called STARS (Movie, Sports, Music and etc.) Multi Million Dollars than what is $90,000 for a Sticker price in retrospect?

The World is Truly SCREWED Up and we have basically Ourselves to Thank for it!

You & yours Stay Healthy & Happy Always,
Sal D. (aka...SDeP)
Old 08 Aug 2015, 08:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteclaw View Post
I had no idea you could even get the key in upside down. Mine won't, at least I don't think.
Hi whiteclaw,

Believe me when I say, I never ever dreamed or thought that could ever happen as well yet I am unfortunately living Proof that it in fact sadly did and all I can say is what I did originally say and that is, you will Never have that issue with the First Generation PT Cruisers, as even for some Crazy reason it did in fact occur, you Thankfully have a small hole on the steering column below the ignition wheel cylinder (See Link) that if you put a thin Awl or etc. in it, it will pop out the key and cylinder in one shot, which I Wish could of happened for me.

You and yours stay Healthy & Happy Always,
Sal D. (aka...SDeP)
Old 08 Aug 2015, 08:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Wow, what a story. Never heard of that one before and there must be something completely different with the 2nd Gen cars. My key can go in any way you grab it and I'm thinking just maybe it wasn't your key but something went wrong inside the ignition switch which won't let the key come out but no matter what, the deal is done. Glad the forum helped you out. A word of caution when you go to buy your next ride: if it's used, check it out really good as the market is being "flooded" (excuse the pun) with cars that have been caught in this latest round of extremely wet weather down here in the south and problems of that kind sometimes don't show up for a long time after they dry out.
Hi CREWZIN,

Yes you are 100% Correct as you mostly were and are, as there is a Definite Difference in the 1st Gen PT Cruiser and 2nd ones and Believe me when I say, I never ever dreamed or thought that could ever happen as well yet I am unfortunately living Proof that it in fact sadly did and all I can say is what I did originally say and that is, you will Never have that issue with the First Generation PT Cruisers, as even for some Crazy reason it did in fact occur, you Thankfully have a small hole on the steering column below the ignition wheel cylinder (See Link) that if you put a thin Awl or etc. in it, it will pop out the key and cylinder in one shot, which I Wish could of happened for me.

Thanks for the GREAT advice on shopping for another vehicle in FL, as it is as Always GREATLY appreciated yet, my sisters have decided to relocate to FL with me and we all 3 have our own individuals Losses to come to this decision as my Beautiful wife decided to leave me for Cancer in 97 at the age of 36 and I have chosen to remain single since, my older, yet younger sister lost her husband to pancreatic cancer in 2012, and the youngest sister just ended a 15 year live-in relationship, so they have greatly stressed that they want to look after me, even though I do just thankfully fine on my own, so we decided to get a 3 bedroom house and all live together,, which now adds 2 Honda's to the scheme and because I am retired I am believing that having the access to any of their cars when needed is all I would ever need.

Yes you and your GREAT venue and Forum along with a TRULY bunch of GREAT individuals/members definitely have Helped me out as a PT Cruiser owner So Greatly and I will Forever be Truly Grateful to you and them for that and I just Hope in some way that my unfortunate scenario and my late wife's words can somehow Help others, which is, Through all the BAD that happens in your life if you Really Look Hard you can find the GOOD, yet you Really Have to LOOK!

Thank you for "everything and You and yours stay Healthy & Happy Always,
Sal D. (aka...SDeP)
Old 08 Aug 2015, 09:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

We will miss you, Sal.

You might want to consider grabbing an inexpensive 1st Gen PT and rejoining us soon. Once you've got the PT fever, it's hard to let it go.

I wish you well in your future plans. Please come bank and visit now and then.
Old 08 Aug 2015, 11:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
We will miss you, Sal.

You might want to consider grabbing an inexpensive 1st Gen PT and rejoining us soon. Once you've got the PT fever, it's hard to let it go.

I wish you well in your future plans. Please come bank and visit now and then.
Hi Handy_Cruiser,

Thank you so much for the very kind and very appreciative words!

In regards to getting another Cruiser, my 2 sisters have decided to relocate to FL from NY and have insisted that they now look after me, and you can read why in greater detail with the other members I answered and if I ever do and judging by all the GREAT members here and their vehicles, I will definitely buy a 1st Generation One as I realize now that I made a BIG Mistake buying a 2nd Generation One, as they are definitely not User Friendly at all to work on and repair and are very different in all aspects.

Thanks for "everything" and you & yours stay Healthy & Happy Always,
Sal D. (aka...SDeP)
Old 08 Aug 2015, 12:54 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

OMG!! That is freaking unreal! I guess we got lucky and have a 1st gen! Tumbler is worn and you can pull the key out with the car running! And it goes in either way! All though I do think I noticed, that the radio light is not on if the key is in upside down??

And yeah ours two has a hard time passing gas stations without stopping!

$90,000 grand for a Hell Cat!! Yet again OMG!!!